graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » What are you favourite new bands?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: What are you favourite new bands?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

OK, we've got favourite '60s and '70s bands (the '80s sucked so we don't need that topic) but what's about some great new bands?
Which ones do you like?

My favourite new one is the Darkness. Good Glam-Rock band in the tradition of Sweet, Queen and the likes.
Then there are some of the so called "the"- bands like the Strokes (they've got a bad singer), the Hives, the Libertines, the Vines and the White Stripes.
Another great one, I saw them live, is Mando Diao. Really good album and a lot of great melodies.
On the softer side there are bands like Keane, Travis, Coldplay and the Coral (a band from Liverpool).

Oh I've nearly forgotten Maroon 5.
PostPosted:Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm a big fan of Puressence, hopefully going to see them for the second time next Saturday night in Glasgow.
PostPosted:Sat Aug 21, 2004 21:03 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm in a time warp so I don't have any.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James!

I knew that you would be the first to answer this topic.
I just wanted to see if the people here are still interested in new music. My favourite time in music history as I wrote somewhere else are the late '60s and the early '70s. From that time I buy my most records and CD's but I think it's unfair to ignore everything that's new just because it's not made in the '60/'70s. They miss some great music. Of course there is hardly something new but that's nearly impossible (I don't count the rap and techno crap) to invent new stylistics.

P.S. I don't know Puressence. Never heard of them. What kind of music do they play?
PostPosted:Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi there DistantLight Smile

Yes, I particularly like 'old' music and most of my record-buying consists of this material. I have had discussions with some of my like-minded musical mates and we have decided that it is good since if you like an artist, you could (if you like) go and buy all of their back catalogue at once without waiting years for modern artists to put out consecutive albums! I too dislike rap and techno. Puressence are an indie band - their website is www.puressence.co.uk which I think has some sound-samples. Standing In Your Shadow or She's Gotten Over You or Walking Dead are examples of their very best. Check them out! Cool
PostPosted:Sun Aug 22, 2004 21:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm not into todays singers or bands, always look in the 60's section of the record shops. I don't listen much to the radio and when I do I have it on the oldies stations. Bloody hell I'm starting to sound like my parents did.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:40 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Anthony!

I rarely listen to the radio because most of the time they play crap. If I listen I listen to "Oldies" (how I hate this name) stations or programmes too. But in the last few years there are quite a few interesting bands out there, very much influenced by the '60s (The Coral, Travis, Maroon 5, Keane, Hives, Strokes, White Stripes) and/or the '70s (Darkness).
So if you are like '60s music you could check out for example Keane (they've only got a piano player, a drummer and a singer, no guitar player but they make a good job with that instruments only) or the Coral.
But when I have to decide wether I buy a good '60s/'70s album or a good '00s album I very often choose the '60s/'70's one.
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi All Exclamation

I don't care for today's music either, 99.9% of it is rubbish anyway. Like you Anthony I always look in the 60's section of music shops too (and the 70's section). I don't really listen to the radio that much either because they don't play anything worth listening to.

All The Best

Susie

Cool Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:19 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Seems to make sense then why the Hollies don't record anything new. Unless they make it sound 60's/70's-ish........unlike 'Survive' which was 80's-ish. Embarassed

PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 21:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Good Point Kathy Exclamation

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Razz
PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hey maybe it's time the Hollies record a strong 60's/70's-ish pop song. After all "everything that goes around comes around". A good hook, strong melody, and tight harmonies are just what's needed in today's music scene. Any thoughts or comments?
PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Hollesfan

Perhaps they could record/write one of those Indie/Pop type songs - something using their trademark harmonies. I've read that quite a few of the young artists that have those type of bands quote 60's groups such as the Beatles, the Hollies, Small Faces, etc., etc., as their influences.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 22:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
I agree, we love the Hollies 60's and 70's sound, why don't they record a live album of these wonderful songs, what a brilliant idea. Does anybody agree. I know you do Gordon, Hey Gordon say something!

PostPosted:Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:51 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cindy1986 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Anthony Exclamation

Yes, I do agree with your idea of The Hollies recording a live album of some of their 60's/70's songs. Smile

Bye For Now

Cindy

Razz
PostPosted:Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'd like to cast my vote for a new Hollies 60's/70's flavored album. I can remember several years ago when the Hollies performed "Pay You Back With Interest" with a fresh exciting twist which included a superb guitar intro my maestro Hicks.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next