graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Live Hits ! - We Got The Tunes !
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Hollies Live Hits ! - We Got The Tunes !
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A very well recorded 2 CD set featuring 24 songs, 12 on each disc

The band sound in terrific form throughout,

Disc One:
A powering take on 'Curly Billy' kicks off the first CD with 'I Can't Let Go' and 'Jennifer Eccles', 'Yes I Will' and a rearranged 'On A Carousel' next

Tony sings 'Then, Now Always (Dolphin Days') with full band vocal support, a gentler version of 'Sandy' follows then Steve Lauri sings 'King Midas in Reverse' followed by an old fav 'Very Last Day' from mid sixties days, next 'Emotions' from the current incarnation's era, is followed by 'The Baby' in tribute to The 'Rickfors Hollies' period.
A looser new version of 'Look Through Any Window' with dual guitars conclusion ends the first disc

Disc Two:
'Bus Stop' with featured guitars on intro, solo and outro (as opposed to keyboards of more recent years) opens the second disc then 'Sorry Suzanne' and a surprising 'Stewball' - still a winner ! - next it's Peter Howarth's solo acoustic guitar version of 'I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top', 'Weakness' is another of the current Hollies tracks, before 'Just One Look' and 'Stay' which are kept in their sixties arrangments
A rockin' take of 'Long Cool Woman (Women ??) in A Black Dress' is next, then 'Carrie Anne', 'Stop Stop Stop', and lastly 'He Ain't Heavy' and 'The Air That I Breathe' concludes a fine live album, well mixed and produced by Paul Hicks...

The mix puts Peter Howarth's Lead voice central (Tony & Steve's likewise for 'Dolphin Days' & 'King Midas...' respectively) with Steve Lauri's high harmony vocal on left channel & Tony Hicks' lower harmony voice on the right channel ( like Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester were back on 'Russian Roulette' in 1976) thus we can hear how the 'Hollies vocal sound' is comprised.

it is noticeable how modern the arrangements are here as the band continue to update their approach, most songs are recognisable enough to the recorded versions but parts of the instrumentation have been updated here & there - this 'evolution' of a song's arrangement is another of their oldest skills too - think back to how 'We're Through', 'Yes I Will', and So Lonely' each radically altered from early or 'alternate' versions to the later cuts in cases where more than one version of a song is known.

I might also ponder whether in the future they might 'rest' the odd 'poppier' sixties songs like say; 'Yes I Will', 'Jennifer Eccles', & 'Sorry Suzanne' (which by 1976 the Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester era Hollies of the original 'Hollies Live Hits' set had already dropped from their concert show....)

.... and replace them with three more of the current incarnation's songs - say perhaps:'Let Love Pass' (full length version), 'If You See Her', & 'She'd Kill For Me' etc....and perhaps later consider doing maybe; 'One Touch' (guitar/sitar), 'One Way Ticket', or ''Too Much Too Soon' etc....

that way the concert set list might be a bit more modernised as time goes on with a little less reliance on sixties hits whilst NOT losing any of the more essential famous sixties & seventies hits and other fav older Hollies songs (yes ?)

Over time as & when say 'Stewball' and 'Very Last Day' etc were to be rested...maybe their original album songs like: 'Crusader', 'Have You Ever Loved Somebody', 'Blue in The Morning' (acoustic spot), 'Give Me Time', 'Crocodile Woman (She Bites)' & '48 Hour Parole' could be 'dusted off' and utilised in the concert shows...?
(To be honest I'd MUCH prefer that over all those 'covers' of others songs - some that frankly were nothing that brilliant as songs in the first place in my view such as 'When Doves Cry' etc - that they seemed so obsessed with doing back in the 80's & early 90's with Allan Clarke)

Whatever, this new Live album is most enjoyable...
PostPosted:Sat Apr 06, 2013 15:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: How to purchase "We Got The Tunes" ?
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I want to obtain the 2-CD live album, and I want to know what the ordering procedure is. Yes, I've got a PayPal account, but, if I want the product to be sent to the U.S.A., how much money do I send via PayPal, and to whom? Back when the set was first released, I tried to contact the website and I didn't get any response.

The Hollies would sell many more copies of the 2-CD set, if only the people who visit this site knew how to order it. Obviously, I've got to have this set to keep my Hollies collection as complete as possible.

I am a Hollies (near) completist, lacking only "You Gave Me Strength" and the Japan-only bonus track for "Staying Power" and also the b-side of the 'Purple Rain" vinyl single that was sold at gigs.

Yes, I've got the alternate take of "Searchin", the "Out on The Road" L.P. and the extended "Disco" version of Draggin' My Heels". Unfortunately, the only available source for that(originally Polydor promo-only) disco mix(an iTunes-only compilation of questionable legitimacy called "The Hollies-Up Front Vol.1") is a dub from vinyl to a faulty CD-R disc with digital noises.
PostPosted:Mon Oct 20, 2014 0:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: How to purchase "We Got The Tunes" ?
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I want to obtain the 2-CD live album, and I want to know what the ordering procedure is. Yes, I've got a PayPal account, but, if I want the product to be sent to the U.S.A., how much money do I send via PayPal, and to whom? Back when the set was first released, I tried to contact the website and I didn't get any response.

The Hollies would sell many more copies of the 2-CD set, if only the people who visit this site knew how to order it. Obviously, I've got to have this set to keep my Hollies collection as complete as possible.

I am a Hollies (near) completist, lacking only "You Gave Me Strength" and the Japan-only bonus track for "Staying Power" and also the b-side of the 'Purple Rain" vinyl single that was sold at gigs.

Yes, I've got the alternate take of "Searchin", the "Out on The Road" L.P. and the extended "Disco" version of Draggin' My Heels". Unfortunately, the only available source for that(originally Polydor promo-only) disco mix(an iTunes-only compilation of questionable legitimacy called "The Hollies-Up Front Vol.1") is a dub from vinyl to a faulty CD-R disc with digital noises.
PostPosted:Mon Oct 20, 2014 0:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Phil

Firstly, I have checked my emails and have no trace of one from you.

As for the CD, it is very easy to purchase. Just follow the link to the CD on the front page of the website which will open another page. Instructions on what to do are clearly laid out at the foot of this page.

If you have any problems, please contact me direct at the same email address that is on the CD page.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Oct 21, 2014 16:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I've now received the 2-CD set, and I'm enjoying it.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:01 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1