graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Upcoming Hollies feature i RC
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject: Upcoming Hollies feature i RC
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Record Collector announces in the new April issue that the May issue will have a feature on the Hollies.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 03, 2013 20:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Sass E Frass Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

would you be willing to share that article with us??? Wink

PostPosted:Mon Apr 22, 2013 16:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Certainly. I'll give you the details shortly.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 22, 2013 21:03 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I have the latest copy of Record Collector

Aussie Hollies 'expert' Simon Smith has done a terrific '50 Rarest vinyl' article which covers eight pages from page 30 to 39 bar a few pages with advertisements etc...

the article has some great colour pic sleeves, photos of rare acetates, overseas singles, etc and at the opening RC themselves advise how The Hollies standing has grown considerably in recent years , both as a collectable artist and as an influential band etc... Cool

NO criticism of Simon's excellent hard work of course - and he's done a brilliant job of research here ! (sorry for being 'mega picky' Simon ! Wink )

.....however you can always offer up 'other rarities' of course over such a LONG and distinguished career and it might be argued one or two of Simon's selected fifty - only one or two - are possibly replaceable with other rarer vinyl records

- for example I'd consider the original 1969 Decca Records UK instrumental single of; 'The Dick Barton Theme' by 'The Bread & Beer Band' (featuring Hollies' bassist Bernie Calvert & Elton John) which I've seen selling in recent years for NINETY pounds (!) to be far 'rarer' and more valuable than say the very common UK chart topper 'Lily The Pink' by 'The Scaffold' (Parlophone) on which Graham Nash took a verse vocal many were unaware of...I got a mint copy of that in a charity shop for a massive 50 PENCE recently ! Laughing

Indeed Graham Nash appeared - along with Jimi Hendrix & brother Paul McCartney on 'Mike McGear's rare Parlophone solo album which is now worth a fortune for the Beatles/Hollies/Hendrix connections....THAT would be a far more includable 'rarity' I'd have thought...

while with Allan Clarke's solo recordings his first solo album 'Arold' does turn up from time to time....yet his 'Someone Else Will' / 'Castles in The Air' (Forever Records, 1982) stand alone single...plus his UK RCA Victor single: 'You're Losing Me' c/w 'Coward By Name' (rare UK only non album 'B' side - RCA 2244 ) (1972) and indeed his final 1990 solo (non UK) album; 'Reasons To Believe' (Polydor, Germany 847036-2) plus the 'Reasons To Believe in' single in a picture sleeve (featuring Alan Coates on high harmony vocal/guitar thus very 'Hollies-ish') with the rare non album 'B' side' 'Without Love' and indeed Clarkey's latter cover of 'Don't Think Twice' (It's Alright)' are all arguably far rarer now on vinyl than the commercially released 1972 UK debut solo album (- which I've seen in several UK record collector shops over the years even at 'Car boot sales' !) and are each worth greater value to collectors...yes ?

also, while now released on CD, do bear in mind the original vinyl 'Allan Clarke' (EMI Records, EMC 3130 - 1974) album was only on catalogue for about nine months ! (certainly it was deleted by EMI in less than a year.... Crying or Very sad ) so original copies of that third solo album (even 'Headroom' and 'The Only One' too) are not easy to find at all now...

There was a 'rumoured' acetate of Mike Rickfors singing 'I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top' as a 'try out'/'audition' for his getting The Hollies job in late 1971 so I've heard - anyone know more about this ? - IF such a disc was cut this too would be mega rare & valuable....

but, as I said it's all arguable, you could easily have a HUNDRED rarest Hollies vinyl records !!

- for example the rare Mexican EP with the 'alternate' version of 'Try it' which sounds like an early 'working version', also 'Hollies Sing Dylan' mono version PMC 7078 is very rare now, while the later 'silver box' Parlophone label version - available for just 1970 - is even more so - this has never been re-issued on vinyl or on CD, (and a possible later MFP stereo version release, probably cancelled, tho' a catalogue number WAS allocated - MFP 5811, from Oct 1987 - is another potential UK vinyl rarity ) while The German; 'The Hollies Greatest' 1968 album '(Hansa 78 575 IT) contains very rare stereo versions on vinyl of some tracks like; 'All The World is Love', 'Everything is Sunshine', 'Signs That Will Never Change', 'Like Everytime Before' and a very odd (unique) stereo mix of; 'Do The Best You Can' plus a vinyl 'Nash' version of 'Blowin' in The Wind' thus is of major interest to vinyl Hollies collectors.

The original mono version of 'Mad Professor Blyth', while featured on a French CD later, is only in mono on vinyl on the original UK 1970 Parlophone single of ; "I Can't Tell The Bottom from The Top' (R5837) - while the 'A' side with the strummed acoustic guitar is getting rarer and rarer now , thus that Parlophone single is becoming more collectable over time...

Later 80's UK Hollies songs such as; 'Reunion of The Heart', You're All Woman', 'Find Me A Family' and 'No Rules' are all hard to find on vinyl now, while later 80's non UK Hollies singles such as; 'Stand By Me' / 'For What it's Worth (I'm Sorry)' , 'Shine Silently' / 'Your Eyes', and 'Baby Come Back' / 'Hillsborough' all had overseas vinyl releases (the latter two also having 12 inch single extended versions) with songs that were never available on vinyl in the UK, and some of those tracks are still unavailable altogether in the UK thus qualify as actual latter day Hollies recordings vinyl rarities as opposed to either solo tracks, guest appearances by Hollies members, or related artists recordings

fellow Aussie Hollies expert Chris Farrell unearthed an odd 'white label' Parlophone demo of; 'Searchin' c/w 'When I'm Not There' (Parlophone R5052 7XCE 17400) a few years ago, coupling the 1963 second single (as 'A' side) with the later 1964 UK EP track (credited just to 'Tony Hicks' but published by May Music)

this left us all scratching our heads....!

...while I have an Australian copy of 'Curly Billy' on Parlophone (!) A - 10335 (7YAPA 1123 4 M 305) issued by EMI (Australia) Ltd Sydney NSW in 1973 c/w 'I Was Born A Man' in my collection ...odd as by 1973 they were long gone from EMI UK and were 'post Rickfors era' into their seventies/eighties recording contract with Polydor records ...

But I most strongly stress, I certainly DON'T want to take anything away from all Simon's hard tremendous work here ! Cool

- more such expertly well researched and carefully compiled intelligent articles such as Simon Smith's work here is what all us Hollies fans need to increase our overall knowledge of the classic band's wonderful career....and to help increase general public appreciation of the critical standing of the most 'taken for granted' successful and much loved band of them all...
PostPosted:Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:10 am

Last edited by Gee on Tue Apr 30, 2013 15:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Gee wrote:
I have the latest copy of Record Collector

Aussie Hollies 'expert' Simon Smith has done a terrific '50 Rarest vinyl' article which covers eight pages from page 30 to 39 bar a few pages with advertisements etc...

the article has some great colour pic sleeves, photos of rare acetates, overseas singles, etc and at the opening RC themselves advise how The Hollies standing has grown considerably in recent years , both as a collectable artist and as an influential band etc... Cool

NO criticism of Simon's excellent hard work of course - and he's done a brilliant job of research here ! (sorry for being 'mega picky' Simon ! Wink )

.....however you can always offer up 'other rarities' of course over such a LONG and distinguished career and it might be argued one or two of Simon's selected fifty - only one or two - are possibly replaceable with other rarer vinyl records

- for example I'd consider the original 1969 Decca Records UK instrumental single of; 'The Dick Barton Theme' by 'The Bread & Beer Band' (featuring Hollies' bassist Bernie Calvert & Elton John) which I've seen selling in recent years for NINETY pounds (!) to be far 'rarer' and more valuable than say the very common UK chart topper 'Lily The Pink' by 'The Scaffold' (Parlophone) on which Graham Nash took a verse vocal many were unaware of...I got a mint copy of that in a charity shop for a massive 50 PENCE recently ! Laughing

Indeed Graham Nash appeared - along with Jimi Hendrix & brother Paul McCartney on 'Mike McGear's rare Parlophone solo album which is now worth a fortune for the Beatles/Hollies/Hendrix connections....THAT would be a far more includable 'rarity' I'd have thought...

while with Allan Clarke's solo recordings his first solo album 'Arold' does turn up from time to time....yet his 'Someone Else Will' / 'Castles in The Air' (Forever Records, 1982) stand alone single...plus his UK RCA Victor single: 'You're Losing Me' c/w 'Coward By Name' (rare UK only non album 'B' side - RCA 2244 ) (1972) and indeed his final 1990 solo (non UK) album; 'Reasons To Believe' (Polydor, Germany 847036-2) plus the 'Reasons To Believe in' single in a picture sleeve (featuring Alan Coates on high harmony vocal/guitar thus very 'Hollies-ish') with the rare non album 'B' side' 'Without Love' and indeed Clarkey's latter cover of 'Don't Think Twice' (It's Alright)' are all arguably far rarer now on vinyl than the commercially released 1972 UK debut solo album (- which I've seen in several UK record collector shops over the years even at 'Car boot sales' !) and are each worth greater value to collectors...yes ?

also, while now released on CD, do bear in mind the original vinyl 'Allan Clarke' (EMI Records, EMC 3130 - 1974) album was only on catalogue for about nine months ! (certainly it was deleted by EMI in less than a year.... Crying or Very sad ) so original copies of that third solo album (even 'Headroom' and 'The Only One' too) are not easy to find at all now...

There was a 'rumoured' acetate of Mike Rickfors singing 'I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top' as a 'try out'/'audition' for his getting The Hollies job in late 1971 so I've heard - anyone know more about this ? - IF such a disc was cut this too would be mega rare & valuable....

but, as I said it's all arguable, you could easily have a HUNDRED rarest Hollies vinyl records !!

- for example the rare Mexican EP with the 'alternate' version of 'Try it' which sounds like an early 'working version', also 'Hollies Sing Dylan' mono version PMC 7078 is very rare now, while the later 'silver box' Parlophone label version - available for just 1970 - is even more so - this has never been re-issued on vinyl or on CD, (and a possible later MFP stereo version release, probably cancelled, tho' a catalogue number WAS allocated - MFP 5811, from Oct 1987 - is another potential UK vinyl rarity ) while The German; 'The Hollies Greatest' 1968 album '(Hansa 78 575 IT) contains very rare stereo versions on vinyl of some tracks like; 'All The World is Love', 'Everything is Sunshine', 'Signs That Will Never Change', 'Like Everytime Before' and a very odd (unique) stereo mix of; 'Do The Best You Can' plus a vinyl 'Nash' version of 'Blowin' in The Wind' thus is of major interest to vinyl Hollies collectors.

The original mono version of 'Mad Professor Blyth', while featured on a French CD later, is only in mono on vinyl on the original UK 1970 Parlophone single of ; "I Can't Tell The Bottom from The Top' (R5837) - while the 'A' side with the strummed acoustic guitar is getting rarer and rarer now , thus that Parlophone single is becoming more collectable over time...

Later 80's UK Hollies songs such as; 'Reunion of The Heart', You're All Woman', 'Find Me A Family' and 'No Rules' are all hard to find on vinyl now, while later 80's non UK Hollies singles such as; 'Stand By Me' / 'For What it's Worth (I'm Sorry)' , 'Shine Silently' / 'Your Eyes', and 'Baby Come Back' / 'Hillsborough' all had overseas vinyl releases (the latter two also having 12 inch single extended versions) with songs that were never available on vinyl in the UK, and some of those tracks are still unavailable altogether in the UK thus qualify as actual latter day Hollies recordings vinyl rarities as opposed to either solo tracks, guest appearances by Hollies members, or related artists recordings

fellow Aussie Hollies expert Chris Farrell unearthed an odd 'white label' Parlophone demo of; 'Searchin' c/w 'When I'm Not There' (Parlophone R5052 7XCE 17400) a few years ago, coupling the 1963 second single (as 'A' side) with the later 1964 UK EP track (credited just to 'Tony Hicks' but published by May Music)

this left us all scratching our heads....!

...while I have an overseas copy of 'Curly Billy' on Parlophone (!) somewhere in my collection ...odd as by 1973 they were long gone from EMI and were 'post Rickfors era' into their seventies/eighties recording contract with Polydor records ...

But I most strongly stress, I certainly DON'T want to take anything away from all Simon's hard tremendous work here ! Cool

- more such expertly well researched and carefully compiled intelligent articles such as Simon Smith's work here is what all us Hollies fans need to increase our overall knowledge of the classic band's wonderful career....and to help increase general public appreciation of the critical standing of the most 'taken for granted' successful and much loved band of them all...

Hi Gee

Nice list you have mentioned here. In particular your mention of the German release.
'The Hollies Greatest' 1968 album '(Hansa 78 575 IT)

Your mention of this had me diving into my collection, and sure enough I actually have a copy of this record. I picked it up here in New Zealand (christchurch) alot of years ago. I remember at the time I didn't have copies of some of the songs so naturaly I snatched it up. I got it at a place called Echo Records(They no longer exist) I always thought that the tracks on this record sounded really great compared to some other issues of the same songs. Thankfully my copy is in mint condition almost like new and plays really well.
I have also picked up 12" singles of "Shine sillently" and "Purple Rain" through Ebay. These too are in very good condition and play well.

Cheers
Ray
PostPosted:Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: