The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Hollies Sing Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Hollies Sing Hollies
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi guys,

My Hollies collection consists of a 20 hits compilation and the boxset. So I'm gonna buy my first album and am thinking of Hollies Sing Hollies. Good choice?

Anyway, I have seen a couple of versions of the CD online most with 13 tracks but some with 20 tracks (incl. Lousiana Man)?? Can anyone tell me about this? or recommend what CD to buy?

Thanks,

Micheal
PostPosted:Mon Jul 19, 2004 20:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Micheal. I wouldn't make 'Hollies Sing Hollies' my first choice although there are some good tracks on it. You have to be careful which issue you buy. The two magic versions were very poor quality unlike many of the other hollies magic editions. The British one (the one with no bonus tracks) was an excellant version with no sound distortion whatsoever. Unfortunately, this is now deleted. A good album to start with would be 'For Certain Because' from 66. I'm not really sure what's available at the moment. I think the Japanese editions of the first three albums have recently made an appearance with very generous bonus tracks. However, when they were last available about twelve years ago, the prices were extortionate to say the least (twenty quid plus) As far as I know the only UK album issues available at the moment are 'Butterfly' and 'Hollies Sing Dylan'. Both worth obtaining. Also available is a boxed set called 4 more hollies originals containing four albums from the seventies, 'Romany' 'Hollies' 'Write On' and 'A Crazy Steal'. A good place to search is Amazon. Many CDs are available second hand from this site and they also let you know what is available new.
Successful hunting
GordonJ
PostPosted:Tue Jul 20, 2004 18:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hallo MichealC. !

My first buy was Distant Light and I still think that it's their best album, Romany comes close!

I also like Hollies Sing Hollies and you can't go wrong with this one, a lot of great tracks are on this one like the opener Why Didn't you Believe , which has great guitar playing and drumming, the countryish Don't Give Up Easily, Please Let Me Please You , the rocking Do You Believe In Love or the great ballad Goodbye Tomorrow with again great Lead Guitar from Tony!

If you're more into the Terry Sylvester stuff (which means more the 70s) than I would buy Distant Light first, sooner or later you will buy them all... as I did.

If you're more into the Graham Nash/60's stuff I would buy
a) For Certain Because (very poppy, great melodies) or
b) Evolution (very psychedelic, slightly harder rocking, with some distorted guitars) or
c) Butterfly (psychedelic too, but concentrating more on the softer side with more great melodies)
PostPosted:Tue Jul 20, 2004 21:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I really like Hollies Sing Hollies - drop Look at Life, Do You Believe In Love and the dreadful You Love Cos You Like It and it would be a superb little album... The opening track is excellent, the vocals on the chorus are almost hypnotic. Cool One for Tony.....

WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE IN THEM....THEY WANTED A NEW HOLLIES ALBUM! Twisted Evil
PostPosted:Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:06 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Ok guys,

I have gone for Distant Light first.

It's slightly confusing with the Hollies, you have to buy special collection CDs to get the B sides etc. Is Rareties on CD?

Micheal
PostPosted:Wed Jul 21, 2004 13:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Rarities is on CD but sadly long deleted.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Jul 21, 2004 15:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James!

I like almost all of the tracks on this album except You Love 'Cos You Like It, which is one of the worst songs they have ever recorded and I can't understand what made them do it...
For the other two you've mentioned I can't quite understand why you don't like them because I think they bring more diversity in... and almost every Hollies-Rocker is great!
PostPosted:Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi DistantLight - I agree wholeheartedly with you about YLCYLI - it really is the most sickly-sweet twee song they ever recorded Crying or Very sad

Do You Believe In Love just sounds very dated to my ears. Now, if something could have been done about the album cover Rolling Eyes (the US version looks much better)

Laughing
PostPosted:Thu Jul 22, 2004 20:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've never seen the US version but it must be better because I can't imagine a worse cover...
PostPosted:Fri Jul 23, 2004 14:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Oh sorry I can... I forgot A Crazy Steal!
PostPosted:Fri Jul 23, 2004 14:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

C'mon, A Crazy Steal isn't half as bad as Hollies Sing Hollies. ACS kinda reminds me of the Who Are You album cover by The Who - a very ordinary mundane shot of the band. Laughing
PostPosted:Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think they are on the same uglyness (if that word exists) level! A Crazy Steal looks soooo cheap!
The Who Are You cover isn't that great, too but I don't think that it's too bad. At least there is something in the backround and not just blue like on ACS.
PostPosted:Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Guys,

Distant Light and Romany are fantastic albums and one could never go wrong obtaining either Exclamation

I love my Crazy Steal album, but feel it cannot compare with Hollies Sing Hollies Confused

And here is my confession Embarassed I love Look At Life, Do You Believe In Love, and You Love Cos You Like It. Blame it on the 70's love affair I had with the Hollies. I don't know the explanation. Look At Life isn't meant to set the world on fire. It's just a lovely song about the seasons and life. Get mellow and listen to it without a report card and you may find the simple beauty of the song. Razz

Do You Believe In Love sounds dated because it is, James my friend. For those of us who were listening to it before you were born or when you were in diapers, it WAS the sound of the time. Wink

You Love Cos You Like It. Rolling Eyes O.K. A little corny maybe, but cut a little slack for a silly love song Laughing

As far as American albums Shocked

No, no, no, no, a thousand times NO! Evil or Very Mad Take it from an American. Altho I love my albums because it was all I had, I've since discovered what a rip-off they are Exclamation Oh sure, the Hollies Sing Hollies might have looked cool, with the blue sky and the black duck man, but they would have called the album The Hollies He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother. It would have included said track, but they would have left out Soldiers Dilemma and Marigold Gloria Swansong. Crying or Very sad

With a few exceptions American albums were always a rip-off Evil or Very Mad

Thankfully e-Bay has taken some of the sting out of things Wink

Shari
PostPosted:Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Sharon!

We talked about the covers of the records. I like the music on A Crazy Steal and Hollies Sing Hollies!

For the three songs we've mentioned I love, as I said Look At Life and Do You Believe In Love but You Love 'cos You Like always makes me wanna jump out of my window and smash a TV set! It really drags the album down.
PostPosted:Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

"but You Love 'cos You Like always makes me wanna jump out of my window and smash a TV set!"

Rather cheesy, yes. Much like the similarly-named " 'Cos You Like to Love Me", the B-side of the American single of "He Ain't Heavy".

But smash a TV set? Oh, you're NOT implying that Carl and The Move should have recorded this...

PostPosted:Mon Sep 27, 2004 18:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2