graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Look through any window - new DVD documentary
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
scousette Post subject:

I attended the premiere in Santa Monica last Thursday. The DVD is phenomenal. The sound is magnificent, and the interviews with Allan, Graham, Tony and Bobby were expertly handled.

There is footage from home movies taken by Rod Shields that is a joy to watch. The producers used much of the footage to cut a video to accompany King Midas in Reverse. Just wonderful work.

It was especially thrilling to see Graham and Allan in oerson after the screening. They participated in a discussion and brief Q&A with the audience. They both got a long and enthusiastic standing ovation that was quite emotional.

There is much love for the Hollies music and I hope everyone here purchases a copy of this DVD. You won't be disappointed. It's available for pre-order at amazon.com and amazon.co.uk
PostPosted:Mon Sep 26, 2011 22:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That must have been great to have been there! Hope to get the DVD next week.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 27, 2011 17:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was pleasantly surprised to have received the DVD in the post today. I didn't expect it until next week.

I've watched it twice already - running time is 184 minutes!

It's really excellent. I've seen most of the performances before but the quality on this DVD is superb.

There are great interviews with Graham, Allan, Tony and Bobby between each song with some unseen home movies. Also there is a good ten minutes of rare footage of the Hollies recording On A Carousel at Abbey Road.

In addition, there are 3 live songs from the Split Festival in Yugoslavia and the icing on the cake is a live version of Amazing Grace during the credits at the end. Sadly no video, just the soundtrack.

Ten out of ten, in my opinion. Excellent value for money, too.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 01, 2011 21:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sass E Frass Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

so glad to hear all the great reviews from everyone who has seen this dvd. you really got yours quickly, john, i am expecting mine to arrive after the 11th. can't wait to see it!

PostPosted:Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

scousette wrote:
I attended the premiere in Santa Monica last Thursday. The DVD is phenomenal. The sound is magnificent, and the interviews with Allan, Graham, Tony and Bobby were expertly handled.

There is footage from home movies taken by Rod Shields that is a joy to watch. The producers used much of the footage to cut a video to accompany King Midas in Reverse. Just wonderful work.

It was especially thrilling to see Graham and Allan in oerson after the screening. They participated in a discussion and brief Q&A with the audience. They both got a long and enthusiastic standing ovation that was quite emotional.

There is much love for the Hollies music and I hope everyone here purchases a copy of this DVD. You won't be disappointed. It's available for pre-order at amazon.com and amazon.co.uk

How was the attendance? Was there ever any mention of whether the Hollies would tour the US again?
PostPosted:Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:40 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
LA1969 Post subject:

holliesfan wrote:
scousette wrote:

How was the attendance? Was there ever any mention of whether the Hollies would tour the US again?

I was there with Scousette and the theater was packed. It was sold out and they had a standby line outside in case of no-shows. Unfortunately no mention of a US gig but I wasn't expecting it since Allan is retired and Graham is still going on the road with David Crosby. I do recall during the Q&A someone asking if Allan and Graham were planning any recording, but it was gracefully deflected and no commitments made.

Eva
PostPosted:Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Great production of this DVD and a must for any Hollies fan.

The quality of the footage and sound is first class and the interviews are very interesting.

Some wonderful filming by Rod Shields and others from the early days.

Worth every penny and more just for the outstanding rendition of Amazing Grace.

Order HERE

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Oct 03, 2011 13:56 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
scousette Post subject:

LA1969 wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
scousette wrote:

I was there with Scousette and the theater was packed. It was sold out and they had a standby line outside in case of no-shows. Unfortunately no mention of a US gig but I wasn't expecting it since Allan is retired and Graham is still going on the road with David Crosby. I do recall during the Q&A someone asking if Allan and Graham were planning any recording, but it was gracefully deflected and no commitments made.

Eva

Thanks, Eva. It was quite a night and I'm so glad I decided to make the trek to Santa Monica. Nice to meet you too!

Good to see the reviews from those lucky enough to have received your DVDs. Still waiting for mine to arrive.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
LA1969 Post subject:

scousette wrote:
LA1969 wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
scousette wrote:

Eva

Thanks, Eva. It was quite a night and I'm so glad I decided to make the trek to Santa Monica. Nice to meet you too!

Good to see the reviews from those lucky enough to have received your DVDs. Still waiting for mine to arrive.

It was awesome meeting YOU too Very Happy I'm still waiting as well but I've got LRH here today to keep me occupied!

PostPosted:Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

hollies wrote:

The quality of the footage and sound is first class and the interviews are very interesting.

Order HERE

you lucky people in the uk and canada - i'm still waiting for mine as well, Rob! Eva and Scousette, thank you both for your great reviews of the premier, really enjoyed reading them. i guess the fans here in the states will have to be patient and wait a little while longer! the suspense is killing me!! haha Laughing

PostPosted:Wed Oct 05, 2011 22:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Got my copy from play.com yesterday, beating amazon.co.uk - the packet from them is still in the post. Very, very nice DVD. Beware that is has the US video format NTSC, and it it not play on my BluRay player. The old DVD player did the trick, though.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:57 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
LA1969 Post subject:

Sass E Frass wrote:
hollies wrote:

Order HERE

you lucky people in the uk and canada - i'm still waiting for mine as well, Rob! Eva and Scousette, thank you both for your great reviews of the premier, really enjoyed reading them. i guess the fans here in the states will have to be patient and wait a little while longer! the suspense is killing me!! haha Laughing

I'm still waiting too Sass! You are most welcome, it was a night I will never forget. Now I just wanna get my hot little hands on it so I can play it over and over!

PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

yes a superb DVD
PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:21 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sat Dec 03, 2011 19:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

thanks, gee, i read essentially the same reaction from someone else on the other forum. allan's 'glass half empty' attitude seems very troubling, considering the others' more positive feelings.

one must wonder, if allan had been more up beat in 1973 when he came back to the band what direction they could have taken and how much higher they could have soared???

PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2011 17:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi.
Today I`ve got my DVD .
the evening saved.

Håkan.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2011 18:24 pm