graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Doesn't anyone else appreciate Rickfor's contributions?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject: Doesn't anyone else appreciate Rickfor's contributions?
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Am I the only long time Hollies fan in the world who loved the singing of both Allan Clarke and Mikael Rickfors? Mikael made some great music with the Hollies and seems so routinely ignored or dismissed.
PostPosted:Fri May 13, 2011 16:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin S Post subject:

Yes I agree.

Mikael Rickfors had a very powerful and distinctive voice. The rest of the band also shone through during this period. Possibly they worked harder to make an impression.

The two Rickfors albums were among the best. They are not very well known outside the Hollies fan base but they compare to any other albums released at that time including CSN&Y

The only thing missing was a commercial sounding single which of course was the Hollies trade mark.
PostPosted:Fri May 13, 2011 20:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Mikael Rickfors was and is a great singer - he has a soulful voice. I really enjoy his work with the Hollies and also numerous solo albums (I have them all). The problem was that his voice was totally different from the Allan Clarke vocals everyone was used to. a bit similar to Carl Wayne, in fact! Peter Howarth has a voice closer to what the original Hollies sound was. And also a true artist in his own right.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri May 13, 2011 21:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

"Out On The Road" is my favourite Hollies album. They definitely recorded potential hit material with Rickfors. "Nearer To Me", "A Better Place" or "Out On THe Road" sound like potential hit singles and "Magic Woman Touch" became one although its chart position was not too high.
The harmony vocals sounded superb around that time. But the sound was too different to what THe Hollies sounded like with Allan. People in general don't seem to like changes.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I thought he had an excellent voice and Romany is a very underated album.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 14, 2011 20:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Mikael Rickfors' voice to my mind is just as distinctive as Alan Clarke and Graham Nash and he should be accorded credit for his input and not ignored. Romany and Out On The Road are good albums and stand the test of time. Magic Woman Touch was a favourite song when it first came out and I still like it today.
PostPosted:Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sass E Frass Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

i think all the lead vocalists down through the years have contributed greatly to the hollies' sound in a positive way. they have all been different and unique, and that's what i have liked about them. they all made their own distinctive mark on the group, and yet the harmonies positively shine - trademark HOLLIES. exceptional musicians, to a man; and each and every lineup of the hollies throughout their nearly 50 years has it's strengths. i am proud to be a fan of a group of guys who always remain professional, keep their personal issues out of the spotlight, and never misbehaved in public. what remains at the end of the day, is they are simply one of THE GREATEST bands of all time! (imho)!!

PostPosted:Mon Aug 15, 2011 14:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1