graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » 6-CD Hollies Box released by EMI in May 2011
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I see your point SpartyScott. I guess I have a few records to play if I want to hear the hits, too, among my 100 or more CDs, but you know we Forumers are not representative of the broader buying public.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 19:39 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

We have to remember EMI as a business concern are first and foremost interested in selling product to the WIDER General public ....it's all about making money !
PostPosted:Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 am

Last edited by Gee on Sat Dec 03, 2011 20:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
elleransford Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Spoiler alert! A fan has located audio samples on the German Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.de/Clarke-Hicks-Nash-Years/dp/B004QJL4D8/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303038313&sr=1-7
PostPosted:Sun Apr 17, 2011 22:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

[quote="elleransford"]Spoiler alert! A fan has located audio samples on the German Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.de/Clarke-Hicks-Nash-Years/dp/B004QJL4D8/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303038313&sr=1-7[/quote.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 17, 2011 23:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The live 2-track concert recordings have been mixed to put the instruments on the left & the vocals in the center.

"Stay With The Hollies" is presented in stereo(excepting the title track, which is the mono single mix). "In The Hollies Style", "Hollies" & "Evolution" are presented in mono. "For Certain Because" is presented in stereo(though "It's You" is the 1993 Ron Furmanek remix from "30th Anniversary Collection"), and "Butterfly" is presented in stereo.

"Little Bitty Pretty One" is a previously unreleased mono mix(the song had previously been released only in stereo). "Don't Run and Hide" is Ron Furmanek's stereo remix from "30th Anniversary Collection"(I would have prefered the 1960's stereo mix!), "Yes I Will" is the Furmanek stereo remix and (unfortunately) "Like Every Time Before" is Furmanek's stereo mix(no lead guitar). It's is very unusual that UK/EMI executives(who didn't like the "30th Anniversary Collection"), would (until now) only issue two of the Furmanek mixes in the UK....the two which can't be musically identical to the mono("Like Every Time Before" & "Yes I Will"). As for myself, I liked most of Furmanek's remixes. We now have stereo mixes of the B-sides thanks to Mr.Furmanek.

The tracks exclusive to the E.P.'s are in mono, as are most of the 1963-65 singles. The French language tracks are in mono. The Italian language tracks are in first-time stereo.

I guess those of us who want a mostly stereo box can create it on our computers. By the way, the stereo "Poison Ivy" & "Little Bitty Pretty One" have appeared on CD(an Australian EMI CD of the 1985 UK EMI/Music For Pleasure album "Hollies". The CD is Australian EMI 432005-2 in their "Legendary Masters" series.

And one more thing: the new box set has the rare stereo version of "All The World is Love".
PostPosted:Mon Apr 18, 2011 0:44 am

Last edited by Phil Cohen on Mon Apr 18, 2011 16:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Those excerpts from the concert are mouth-watering.

The King Midas and Look Through Any Window pieces are really exciting to hear.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 18, 2011 16:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The extremely faulty 1997 mastering of the stereo "Dear Eloise"(from the stereo/mono two-fer "Butterfly") has been used. Immediately after the intro, during the words "Writing a letter to make you feel better", some of the backing instruments disappear, then reappear a few seconds later, as if a faulty rough mix had been used. Go listen to the sample at Amazon.co.uk
PostPosted:Tue Apr 19, 2011 13:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It seems that often, when EMI issues a CD box set by a 1960's British beat group, I end up having to create one or more corrected discs on my computer, because of mastering faults in EMI's product; mastering faults that EMI opts not to correct. Fortunately, I have excellent sources for "Dear Eloise" on 3 other CD's, and a CD source for "Like Every Time Before" WITH the lead guitar.
As for other EMI box sets, their Herman's Hermits 4-CD box had a few instances of inaccurately placed track start points; something that wouldn't be audible if you played the CD in its' normal running order, but would be audible if the songs were accessed individually, or played in random order.
And EMI's Manfred Mann box lopped the start off one track, and had an instance(during a previously unreleased song from that group's 1963 audition session) where a mastering glitch causes a song to skip in mid-verse, omitting 15 seconds of a song. Very fortunately, 20 years ago, I had access to a very good cassette of the entire audition, and I had the material to create a corrected disc, but the general public does not have the material to create a corrected disc.
And EMI's Gerry & The Pacemakers box has one song, which fortunately appears in both mono & stereo(an original composition called "Without You"), fortunately, because the mono version is affected by annoying noises which either come from sticky tape syndrome, oxide shedding or tape print through. No doubt, somewhere there was some satisfactory tape copy.
And EMI's faulty masterings are not restricted to 1960's music. In 2-CD + DVD editions of Duran Duran's albums "Duran Duran"(debut album) and "Seven & The Ragged Tiger", the "Disc One" in each set is harsh & distorted, with splattering breakup distortion on the drum beats on the debut album, and an incomplete sound effects intro on "Girls on Film". EMI concedes that these masterings sound "different" from previous masterings, but denies that there's any problem, and refuses to correct the discs.
Abbey Road Studios has always been considered the Rolls Royce or Tiffany of their field, and its' engineers, the pinnacle of the recording engineer's profession, but these days, their standards of quality are quickly fading away.
And with the record labels in bad financial shape, none of them will press a corrected replacement disc when they issue faulty product. And it's not just EMI. Universal Music is no better.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

They have in recent years also mis-mastered the start of The Shadows 'Theme For Young Lovers' (1964) on the 'remastered' '50 Golden Greats' 2CD set as well....it now begins with a 'double note' intro....! Confused

...and for that set they mistakenly got the Demo of 'Wonderful Land' (1961) minus the strings & horns on the actual chart topping hit single

BOTH correct hit single versions are on 'The Shadows Greatest Hits' (1962) & 'More Hits - The Shadows' (1965) albums issued many years ago by EMI....and on the seventies '20 Golden Greats' album too !

I have heard Abbey Road studios charge a FORTUNE for an hours studio time - Hence probably why The Hollies use Ray Stiles Home Recording Studio now...!

I think The Beatles calling their final studio album 'Abbey Road'...may well in terms of 'Fame' & prices have COST many artists later...!

Recording Engineers such as Norman 'Hurricane' Smith, Malcolm Addey, Peter Bown, Geoff Emerick, Peter Vince, Adrian Kerridge, etc at EMI....and guys such as Derek Varnals & Gus Dudgeon (Decca) & co...were the real 'unsung heroes' of the British swinging sixties

Fings ain't wot they used to be...for sure

What was the Manfred Mann song you lost an intro to...?

I know the instrumental 'Mr. Anello' (1964) has a guitar intro in Mono that is absent in stereo....

...Similarly The Fourmost's version of 'Some Kind of Wonderful' (1965) has a vocal repeat intro in mono totally absent in stereo...
PostPosted:Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Gee wrote:
They have in recent years also mis-mastered the start of The Shadows 'Theme For Young Lovers' (1964) on the 'remastered' '50 Golden Greats' 2CD set as well....it now begins with a 'double note' intro....! Confused

...and for that set they mistakenly got the Demo of 'Wonderful Land' (1961) minus the strings & horns on the actual chart topping hit single

BOTH correct hit single versions are on 'The Shadows Greatest Hits' (1962) & 'More Hits - The Shadows' (1965) albums issued many years ago by EMI....and on the seventies '20 Golden Greats' album too !

I have heard Abbey Road studios charge a FORTUNE for an hours studio time - Hence probably why The Hollies use Ray Stiles Home Recording Studio now...!

I think The Beatles calling their final studio album 'Abbey Road'...may well in terms of 'Fame' & prices have COST many artists later...!

Recording Engineers such as Norman 'Hurricane' Smith, Malcolm Addey, Peter Bown, Geoff Emerick, Peter Vince, Adrian Kerridge, etc at EMI....and guys such as Derek Varnals & Gus Dudgeon (Decca) & co...were the real 'unsung heroes' of the British swinging sixties

Fings ain't wot they used to be...for sure

What was the Manfred Mann song you lost an intro to...?

I know the instrumental 'Mr. Anello' (1964) has a guitar intro in Mono that is absent in stereo....

...Similarly The Fourmost's version of 'Some Kind of Wonderful' (1965) has a vocal repeat intro in mono totally absent in stereo...

On the Manfred Mann box, a bit of the start is lopped off from their instrumental version of "(I Can't Get No)Satisfaction". And, both the mono & stereo takes(yes they ARE different takes) of "Mr.Anello" SHOULD have the guitar intro. The stereo "Mr. Anello" with the guitar intro can be obtained on the Uk mono/stereo "two-Fer" of "Soul of Mann" and on a U.S.A. two-fer(EMI Records Group/North America) "The Manfred Mann Album"/"The Five Faces of Manfred Mann"(U.S.A. album of that title) where it appears amongst the bonus tracks.

By the way, Adrian Kerrdige didn't work at EMI. He worked at Lansdowne. He recorded The Dave Clark Five & before that, he worked with producer Joe Meek.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes I know that Adrian Kerridge worked over at Lansdowne recording studios - I once had a fascinating phone chat with Denis Preston there many years ago - Lansdowne Studios often were utilised by more 'middle of the Road' EMI Recording artists such as Mr.Acker Bilk and Roger Whittaker....both on EMI's Columbia label in the UK.

I included Kerridge because The Dave Clark Five's UK Records were also issued on the Columbia label of EMI - indeed the Producer credit early on was to: 'Adrian Clark' mixing their names as Kerridge was theoretically in charge being the Staff member...tho' the young Dave Clark was allowed to Produce The DC5 records which besides Brian Wilson for The Beach Boys in the USA was virtually unheard of back then...certainly so in early sixties Britain.

...and While the stereo 'Mr.Anello' does indeed have the guitar intro on 'Soul of Mann'.....EMI have somehow managed to 'Lose it' on British CD 'The Five Faces of Manfred Mann' stereo - 7243 8 56634 2 0 issued in the UK in 1997....!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 20, 2011 17:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Gee wrote:
Yes I know that Adrian Kerridge worked over at Lansdowne recording studios - I once had a fascinating phone chat with Denis Preston years ago

I included Kerridge because The Dave Clark Five's UK Records WERE issued on the Columbia label of EMI - indeed the Producer credit early on was to:'Adrian Clark' as Kerridge was theoretically in charge as the Staff member...tho' the young Dave Clark was allowed to Produce The DC5 records which besides Brian Wilson for The Beach Boys in the USA was virtually unheard of back then...certainly so in early sixties Britain.

...and While the stereo 'Mr.Anello' does indeed have the guitar intro on 'Soul of Mann'.....EMI have somehow managed to 'Lose it' on British CD 'The Five Faces of Manfred Mann' stereo - 7243 8 56634 2 0 issued in the UK in 1997....!

Yes, I know. That's why I pointed you in the direction of two CD's that have the stereo "Mr.Anellio" with the guitar intro.
As for Dave Clark, it appears now, that like Paul Revere, Clark was a businessman first, a musician second, and like Revere, questions have been asked about the authenticity of his writing or co-writing credits, and to what extent he was replaced by studio musicians on the records. Clark never permitted a live performance on T.V.(even on American T.V. shows that would have permitted a live performance, such as "The Ed Sullivan Show"). Clark's group never did a radio session or recorded a concert, and Clark's performance in the 1964 NME poll winner's concert either wasn't filmed, or was cut out of the film print after the initial telecast.
For those who have accused Clark or his bandmates of not playing on the records, the sessionmen frequently mentioned are bassist Eric Ford(who would later be a member of "Dave Clark & Friends") & drummer Bobby Graham(real name Robert Neate). Graham was the drummer on The Kinks' first four UK singles and 9 of the 12 tracks on the first Kinks album, and The Kinks acknowledge this. Listen to the song "I Took My Baby Home" on the first Kinks album, particularly the Tom-Tom build-ups, the sound when Graham hits the snare drum with both sticks, and the distinctive way Graham ends the song. As one person said on another internet forum, "The evidence is damning"(against Clark). And Graham(in his autobiography) even states that he played on many of the DC5 hits, specifically mentioning "Glad All Over", though he says that Clark played on some album tracks. Graham stated that Clark asked him to avoid any complex drum fills that Clark would be unable to mime to on T.V.
/ After Graham retired from sessionwork in 1967, the drum sound on Clark's records changed drastically.
Incidentally, there was a hostile rivalry between The Hollies & The Dave Clark Five, with Clark saying that certain Hollies members cut the electricity to the DC5's equipment at one show. For his part, Graham Nash said that "the Dave Clark Five couldn't play for s#@t".
PostPosted:Wed Apr 20, 2011 18:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have never taken the DC5 seriously as musicians nor, for that matter, Herman's Hermits.

I know that Jimmy Page did much of the Hermits' lead guitar work, and after seeing Dave Clark standing there behind his drum look rather silly, I assumed all along that someone else was doing the real work in the studio.

Still, that's OK. The DC5 put out a lot of entertaining music, and they had a terrific, soulful lead singer who I loved listening to. And they were fun, sort of like the Monkees. It was a simpler time, before everything became heavy and significant in pop/rock music, so I don't begrudge Clark for not having a real band.

Now, if Dave was taking songwriting credits while not contributing the songs' creation, that's a different story. That sounds suspiciously like what happened to Chuck Berry on his first song publishing experience, where Chuck learned when he saw his 45 rpm single that two men he'd never met including Allan Freed had co-written his songs!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 20, 2011 19:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The argument over who played what is always a contentious one....and seems to depend on who you are

Tony Hicks has said he had to show Jimmy Page how to play a guitar part during the 'Two Yanks in England' sessions...but that does not mean Page couldn't play it....does it ?
PostPosted:Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 am

Last edited by Gee on Sat Dec 03, 2011 20:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
elleransford Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Gee wrote:
Tony Hicks has said he had to show Jimmy Page how to play a guitar part during the 'Two Yanks in England' sessions...but that does not mean Page couldn't play it....does it ?

When he said that, I'm pretty sure it was meant as a self-deprecating joke--i.e., he knows that we know that Page darn well could play it, probably even with one hand tied behind his back...

In fact, here's the quote verbatim, from last year's "They Ain't Heavy, They're the Hollies" BBC Radio 2 doc (no, it wasn't me who transcribed it!):

Tony: Because we’d already recorded those songs, the guitar parts that I knew well, of course, you know, and Jimmy's such a sweet guy, and I’d be teaching him how to play certain things, you know, and he’d say "Oh, that’s good, how did you do that?’" And I’d say "No, Jimmy, you’d find that a little bit difficult, you better let me do that."

Bobby: You cheeky little precocious kid!

And here's a TH quote from a mid-1970s Hit Parader article: "Nothing gets me madder than someone asking who played the opening notes to 'Air That I Breathe' or the harmonica on 'He Ain't Heavy.' What do they want me to say...Nicky Hopkins?"
PostPosted:Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:13 am

Last edited by elleransford on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:15 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Page 4 of 6