graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » 6-CD Hollies Box released by EMI in May 2011
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: 6-CD Hollies Box released by EMI in May 2011
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

"The Hollies-The Complete Clarke, Hicks & Nash Years: April 1963- October 1968" is the title of a 6-CD box set tentatively set to arrive from EMI/UK in May 2011.

The artwork & tracklist have yet to be revealed, yet the set can be preordered at Amazon's UK & U.S.A. websites.

The rumour on the internet is that the set is a combination of stereo & mono mixes, that it contains no previously unreleased studio material, but it does contain previously unreleased concert material.

How "complete" the set will be remains to be seen. Obviously, it will have all the albums & singles, but whether it will have the tracks exclusive to the E.P.'s or the various 1963-1968 archival tracks that have been released(on compilations) over the years remains to be seen.

Certainly, with each song/take appearing only once, in either mono or stereo, 6 CD's should be able to hold a very comprehensive collection.

My contact at EMI indicates that they were trying to have as little song repetition as possible, and that The Hollies were consulted and/or involved.

The lack of previously unreleased studio tracks(if correct) is somewhat disappointing, though the sessionography included with "The Long Road Home" box suggests that there are very few remaining 1963-1968 unreleased tracks, and that is assuming that the tapes still exist, and are in good enough condition to work with.

Still, the set will be priced low, and I'm hoping for new remastering, not just a "cut and paste" of previous masterings(as "The Long Road Home" mostly was)

and, PLEASE don't clip off the opening piano note of "Pay You Back With Interest" or release "Like Every Time Before" without Tony's lead guitar......which EMI have done on previous compilations.

This website would be a very good place to give us more information on this box set.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: 6-CD Hollies Box set coming from EMI in May 2011
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My understanding is that the entire 1968 concert, however many tracks that might be, that gave us the live performance of "The Times They Are A-Changin'" as released on the old Hollies Rarities album will be included.

My guess is that few if any songs, other than that one concert, will not already be widely available and so already in the collection of hard-core collectors.

I'm not sure what the price will be for me, having to get it as an import here in the U.S., but until I learn otherwise I will assume that nothing else will be new. I'll let that guide my purchase decision in regards to how much I'm willing to pay.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: Re: 6-CD Hollies Box set coming from EMI in May 2011
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
My understanding is that the entire 1968 concert, however many tracks that might be, that gave us the live performance of "The Times They Are A-Changin'" as released on the old Hollies Rarities album will be included.

My guess is that few if any songs, other than that one concert, will not already be widely available and so already in the collection of hard-core collectors.

I'm not sure what the price will be for me, having to get it as an import here in the U.S., but until I learn otherwise I will assume that nothing else will be new. I'll let that guide my purchase decision in regards to how much I'm willing to pay.

The price at Amazon.co.uk is £17.99, but it will be less for people outside the UK, because Amazon.co.uk will subtract the UK VAT tax.

Still no tracklist, but a photo of the artwork is now on Amazon.co.uk
The photo shows Clarke, Hicks, Nash, Calvert & Elliott in front of a waterfall, and states mono & stereo.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 04, 2011 13:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Here's the cover:

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 06, 2011 19:14 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

O.K., now some information.

The set will contain 8 tracks from the 1968 Lewisham Odeon concert(7 of the 8 are previously unreleased), all 4 French language tracks(3 of the 4 are previously unreleased), and it will contain the first stereo release of the two Italian tracks("Non Prego Per Me" & "Devi Avere Fiducia in Me").
The set will contain all the L.P. & Singles tracks, and the songs that were exclusive to the E.P.'s. The set will also contain the Nash-era vault tracks that were released on the 1985 "Music For Pleasure" L.P. "The Hollies"("Poison Ivy", "Little Bitty Pretty One" & "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah"), and the vault tracks which debuted on "Hollies Rarities","The Hollies at Abbey Road", "30th Anniversary Collection" & "The Long Road Home".

Both versions of "Yes I Will" will be included. Both the 1966 & 1968 versions of "A Taste of Honey" are included. Both versions of "We're Through" are included.

As for the mastering, the set will be a "cut and paste" with some newly remastered tracks, and other tracks taken from 1997,1999 & 2003 masterings. Unfortunately, "Like Every Time Before" will be the 2003 mastering(in other words, based on Ron Furmanek's 1993 stereo mix which has no lead guitar).

The only released 1960's Hollies performances excluded from the set are "Poison Ivy"(Take 9) from the group's first Australian L.P., and the alternate "Searchin' ", from the 1988 Uk "Compacts For Pleasure" CD "The Hollies"(no relation to the 1985 "Music For Pleasure" vinyl L.P. "The Hollies"). "Poison Ivy"(take 9) was in a higher key than the later takes, but it ends with a horrible bad bass note from Eric Haydock. The alternate "Searchin' " has a lyric mistake from Graham Nash during the middle section, and a harsh growled lead vocal from Allan. The original release of these two tracks was by error, and it is understandable why The Hollies wouldn't want them released again.

I assume that the remaining unreleased songs are being saved for future use. The music business IS a business, after all. Gotta make more product.

The set is priced quite reasonably. To the average consumer, this set will certainly seem complete. But I suspect that most of the 1963-65 tracks will appear in mono sound(EMI have always prefered the first 3 albums in mono) . Like many people in North America, I prefer the recordings in stereo.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 06, 2011 23:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Here's the track listing :

Disc 1

1. Whole World Over (1997 Digital Remaster)
2. (Ain't That) Just Like Me (1997 Digital Remaster)
3. Hey What's Wrong With Me (1997 Digital Remaster)
4. Now's The Time (1997 Digital Remaster)
5. Little Lover
6. Zip A Dee Doo Dah (Song Of The South) (2011 - Remaster)
7. I Understand (2011 - Remaster)
8. Searchin' (2003 Digital Remaster)
9. Stay (1997 Digital Remaster)
10. Poison Ivy (Takes 10-12) (1997 Digital Remaster)
11. Memphis
12. Talkin' 'Bout You
13. It's Only Make Believe
14. Lucille
15. Baby Don't Cry
16. Do You Love Me
17. Mr Moonlight
18. You Better Move On
19. Whatcha Gonna Do 'Bout It
20. What Kind Of Girl Are You
21. Rockin' Robin
22. Keep Off That Friend Of Mine (1997 Digital Remaster)
23. Just One Look (2003 Digital Remaster)
24. Candy Man
25. When I'm Not There (2011 - Remaster)
26. What Kind Of Love (2011 - Remaster)
27. Here I Go Again (2003 Remaster)
28. Baby That's All (1997 Digital Remaster)

Disc 2

1. Time For Love (1997 Digital Remaster)
2. Don't You Know (1997 Digital Remaster)
3. You'll Be Mine (1997 Digital Remaster)
4. It's In Her Kiss (Mono) (1997 Digital Remaster)
5. Come On Home (1997 Digital Remaster)
6. Too Much Monkey Business (1997 Digital Remaster)
7. I Thought Of You Last Night (1997 Digital Remaster)
8. Come On Back (1997 Digital Remaster)
9. Set Me Free (1997 Digital Remaster)
10. Please Don't Feel Too Bad (1997 Digital Remaster)
11. What Kind Of Boy (1997 Digital Remaster)
12. We're Through (Alternative Arrangement) (1997 Digital Remaster)
13. We're Through (1997 Digital Remaster)
14. To You My Love (1997 Digital Remaster)
15. Nitty Gritty/Something's Got A Hold On Me (1997 Digital Remaster)
Something's Got A Hold On Me
Nitty Gritty
16. Put Yourself In My Place (1997 Digital Remaster)
17. She Said Yeah
18. Yes I Will (Alternate Version) (2011 - Remaster)
19. When I Come Home To You (1997 Digital Remaster)
20. Nobody (1997 Digital Remaster)
21. You Know He Did (1997 Digital Remaster)
22. Yes I Will
23. Mickey's Monkey (1997 Digital Remaster)
24. That's My Desire (1997 Digital Remaster)
25. The Very Last Day (1997 Digital Remaster)
26. Honey And Wine (2003 Digital Remaster)

Disc 3

1. Listen Here To Me (Bell Studios Demo)
2. So Lonely (Bell Studios Demo)
3. Bring Back Your Love To Me (Bell Studios Demo)
4. I'm Alive (2003 Digital Remaster)
5. Look Through Any Window
6. Lawdy Miss Clawdy (1997 Digital Remaster)
7. You Must Believe Me (1997 Digital Remaster)
8. Little Bitty Pretty One (2011 - Remaster)
9. Down The Line (1997 Digital Remaster)
10. Fortune Teller (1997 Digital Remaster)
11. Too Many People (1997 Digital Remaster)
12. So Lonely (1997 Digital Remaster)
13. I've Been Wrong (1997 Digital Remaster)
14. Stewball (1998 Digital Remaster)
15. She Gives Me Everything I Want (2011 - Remaster)
16. I Can't Get Nowhere With You (2011 - Remaster)
17. I've Got A Way Of My Own (2003 Digital Remaster)
18. You In My Arms (2011 - Remaster)
19. Don't Ever Think About Changing (1999 Digital Remaster)
20. If I Needed Someone
21. Running Through The Night (2011 - Remaster)
22. Don't You Even Care (What's Gonna Happen To Me?) (1998 Digital Remaster)
23. I Can't Let Go (1997 Digital Remaster)
24. Oriental Sadness (1998 Digital Remaster)
25. Stewball (French Lyric Version)
26. Look Through Any Window (French Lyric Version) (2011 - Remaster)
27. You Know He Did (French Lyric Version)
28. We're Through (French Lyric Version)

Disc 4

1. I Take What I Want (1998 Digital Remaster)
2. Hard Hard Year (Mono) (1998 Digital Remaster)
3. A Taste Of Honey (2011 - Remaster)
4. That's How Strong My Love Is (1998 Digital Remaster)
5. Take Your Time (1998 Digital Remaster)
6. Fifi The Flea (1998 Digital Remaster)
7. Sweet Little Sixteen (1998 Digital Remaster)
8. I Am A Rock (Mono) (1998 Digital Remaster)
9. After The Fox (2011 - Remaster)
10. Don't Run And Hide (2011 - Remaster)
11. Bus Stop (2003 Digital Remaster)
12. Peculiar Situation (1999 Digital Remaster)
13. Suspicious Look In Your Eyes (1999 Digital Remaster)
14. Stop Stop Stop
15. Tell Me To My Face (Stereo) (1999 Digital Remaster)
16. Pay You Back With Interest (1999 Digital Remaster)
17. Clown (Stereo) (1999 Digital Remaster)
18. It's You (1999 Digital Remaster)
19. Crusader (1999 Digital Remaster)
20. What's Wrong With The Way I Live (1999 Digital Remaster)
21. What Went Wrong (1999 Digital Remaster)
22. High Classed (1999 Digital Remaster)
23. All The World Is Love (2011 - Remaster)
24. When Your Light Turned On (1999 Digital Remaster)
25. Have You Ever Loved Somebody (1999 Digital Remaster)
26. Non Prego Per Me (Stereo Version)
27. Devi Aver Fiducia In Me (Stereo Version)

Disc 5

1. Lullaby To Tim (1999 Digital Remaster)
2. On A Carousel
3. We're Alive (2003 Digital Remaster)
4. Kill Me Quick (2003 Digital Remaster)
5. Leave Me (1999 Digital Remaster)
6. The Games We Play (1999 Digital Remaster)
7. Schoolgirl
8. Rain On The Window (1999 Digital Remaster)
9. Then The Heartaches Begin (1999 Digital Remaster)
10. Ye Olde Toffee Shoppe (1999 Digital Remaster)
11. You Need Love (1999 Digital Remaster)
12. Stop Right There (1999 Digital Remaster)
13. Water On The Brain (1999 Digital Remaster)
14. Heading For A Fall (1999 Digital Remaster)
15. Carrie Anne (2003 Digital Remaster)
16. Signs That Will Never Change (2003 Digital Remaster)
17. King Midas In Reverse (2003 Digital Remaster)
18. Try It (1999 Digital Remaster)
19. Everything Is Sunshine (2003 Digital Remaster)
20. Wishyouawish (1999 Digital Remaster)
21. Postcard (Stereo) (1999 Digital Remaster)
22. Step Inside (Stereo) (1999 Digital Remaster)
23. Pegasus (1999 Digital Remaster)
24. Dear Eloise (1999 Digital Remaster)

Disc 6

1. Elevated Observations (1999 Digital Remaster)
2. Would You Believe (1999 Digital Remaster)
3. Away Away Away (Stereo) (1999 Digital Remaster)
4. Charlie And Fred (1999 Digital Remaster)
5. Butterfly (1999 Digital Remaster)
6. Maker (1999 Digital Remaster)
7. Open Up Your Eyes (2011 - Remaster)
8. Wings (2003 Digital Remaster)
9. Jennifer Eccles
10. Tomorrow When It Comes (2011 - Remaster)
11. Relax (2003 Digital Remaster)
12. Do The Best You Can (2011 - Remaster)
13. Like Every Time Before (2003 Digital Remaster)
14. Man With No Expression (Horses Through A Rainstorm) (1998 Digital Remaster)
15. Blowin' In The Wind (Nash Version) (2003 Digital Remaster)
16. A Taste Of Honey
17. Listen To Me
18. Stop Stop Stop (Live at Lewisham Odeon)
19. Look Through Any Window (Live at Lewisham Odeon)
20. The Times They Are A Changin' (Live At Lewisham Odeon)
21. On A Carousel (Live At Lewisham Odeon)
22. King Midas In Reverse (Live At Lewisham Odeon)
23. Butterfly (Live At Lewisham Odeon)
24. Jennifer Eccles (Live At Lewisham Odeon)
25. Carrie Anne (Live At Lewisham Odeon)
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The problem with the Stereo on 'In The Hollies Style' (1964) , 'Hollies' (1965), 'Would You Believe ?' (1966) & even 'Evolution' from 1967 ...and later even 'Sorry Suzanne' as late as 1969 (!) was it was not a true mix 'sound wise' even if it was strictly speaking in terms of being in twin channel stereo....

For some reason...presumably speed & costs....EMI simply 'cut away' the vocals & stuck them over on the 'other stereo channel' (Some early Beatles, Cliff/Shadows, Fourmost, Swinging Blue Jeans, Freddie & The Dreamers, Johnny Kidd & The Pirates etc stereo mixes all suffer from this style of cheaper primitive early 'stereo' as well)

In a later interview - I think it was the one with with Andy Peebles - even John Lennon asked: 'Why did they do that...?' Shocked

The result is a totally 'Lop sided' really odd sound with all their voices cut away from the instruments....bar the odd bit of guitar, a lone bass or a harmonica etc which is divorced from the rest of the instrumentation & simply 'stuck over' on the vocal channel as well ....with NOTHING featured in the middle of the stereo sound at all - on headphones it sounds really odd...! (They certainly never sounded like that Live in concerts did they....?)

One Cliff/Shadows song 'On The Beach' (1964) on the stereo version...which unlike many Hollies early cheaper stereo tracks DID also have a mid-position range sound as well ....put Cliff's vocal on both mid-position and on a whole stereo channel....yet 'squeezed up' the four Shadows instruments all on the other stereo channel....Cliff's voice thus far more prominent than his backing band...and sounding like Cliff had 'stomped off in a huff' away from his backing band ! - it didn't help that poor old Cliff has a 'coughing fit' during the instrumental break...sounding CRYSTAL CLEAR in stereo due to this odd style of mix (tho' corrected by being virtually 'mixed out' on the mono version...!)

The Hollies very important vocal sound most people tend to appreciate put in central position....

In those days FAR more care always went into the mono mixing of pretty much all these band's work in the early sixties....indeed neither the second or third Hollies albums were even issued in Stereo by EMI (UK) at that time (The Beatles 'worked in mono' right up to 1968....!) - The all important mono mixes were as a rule prepared first and given more time far more care - stereo mixes were at that time deemed to be essenially for the Classical or Easy Listening market (artists such as Mantovani etc) ...and not really applicable for this 'Pop stuff for kids'....thus stereo mixes were normally done later and often without the artists themselves involved or listening to the finished results ...and these were often rushed (The Beatles 'Help !' for example - a very 'muddy' mix even Sir George Martin later held his hands up & admitted was not so great.) ....& the stereo mixes were often to be found with performance 'Mistakes' left in....i.e. The Hollies on 'Lawdy Miss Clawdy' & The Beatles glaringly on 'Please Please Me', 'If I Fell' & 'I Should Have Known Better' while the Mono mixes saw all of these 'errors' duly corrected.

EMI are probably working on a set budget here....hence the use of earlier remasters etc...so while some tracks like 'Very Last Day' have been revamped centralising vocals etc....the majority of tracks that were in the primitive (cheaper) stereo will be left in the superior mono mixes.

The first album 'Stay With...'(1964) & 'For Certain Because...' (1966) had surprisingly good true stereo mixes compared to the other early sixties Hollies albums ...most tracks had vocals centralised & instruments spread out well....the odd exception like 'Little Lover' will probably be in stereo as it has the extra guitar intro missing in mono.

Hopefully EMI will include the to date Non UK stereo versions of the earlier 'B' sides like 'Nobody' (with it's two Harmonicas) in addition to: 'Don't Run And Hide', 'All The World is Love', (tho' an odd mix with backup guitar 'twangs' given more prmoninence than Hicks Lead guitar !) 'Open Up Your Eyes' , 'Do The Best You Can'(in stereo clearly featuring Three banjos by Hicks) ...while the non UK stereo versions of 'You in My Arms' & 'She Gives Me Everything I Want' may well appear here too.

Obviously IF the early stereo mixes were GOOD then everything would of course most likely be in stereo....a number of tracks from 1963-1965 WILL be in stereo...but most Hollies fans & the general public overall are not keen on the primitive stereo style....

that early stereo was never very popular with most music lovers as it gave a totally FALSE sound...

For example George Harrison apparently never heard the Stereo version of 'Sgt Pepper' - which had a far better stereo mix than say 'Evolution' had - until the seventies....and he is said to have DISLIKED it...!
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

On pre-1964 EMI recordings, the "vocals on one side/instruments on the other side" stereo was simply a product of EMI's equipment limitations: They were recording on 2-track. Working from 2-track, that is simply the only type of stereo that is possible.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

As for why, even on Hollies songs recorded on 4-track, the mixes are sometimes still vocals on one side/instruments on the other side, I will attempt to explain this.
These recordings have(often) one track with most of the instruments, a track with an overdubbed solo and two tracks of vocals. But these two tracks of vocals are not singing different parts. The second track of vocals was doubling the parts that appeared on the first track of vocals. In other words, what you were hearing wasn't 3 voices. It was 6 voices. But these two tracks of vocals were meant to be merged at one place in the stereo picture(to hear what they sound like separated at two points in the stereo picture, listen to Ron Furmanek's remixes on the U.S.A. 3-CD set "30th Anniversary Collection". These mixes were excellent, but not what Ron Richards intended. EMI/UK executives didn't like these mixes, and with the exception of "Yes I Will" & "Like Every Time Before", these mixes weren't released in the UK, and EMI/Uk executives have, subsequently been generally very wary of remixing Hollies material.) The unreleased material in the forthcoming box set is likely all from existing mixes. The remaining unreleased material has likely never been mixed down, and would require mixdowns to obtain it. That and budget limitations for the set are the obvious reasons why those songs are not included.
As for 1960's 4-track Hollies recordings, depending on whether 1 or 2 tracks were used for the instruments, you'll either get the instruments on one side, and the vocals tracks merged together on the other side, or you'll get stereo instruments, but with 2 tracks of vocals merged in the center. Generally, on original 1960's Hollies mixes from 4-track, you'll only get stereo vocals where at least 1 of 2(or 1 of 3) vocals tracks is actually the boys singing different parts(not where the overdubbed voices are merely doubling the same parts previously sung on another track). This is why, on 1960's stereo Hollies mixes, you may get stereo instruments, but usually mono vocals.
There's a similar situation on 1963 Beach Boys recordings taped on 3-track. You've got one track of instruments, and two tracks of (identical) vocals, so you are hearing each of the 5 voices doubled. Many people hear those stereo mixes, with the instruments in the center in mono, and the two tracks of vocals separated in the stereo picture, and they think that they're hearing fake stereo, when it's actually primitive true stereo.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 14:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil, did your post simply describe double-tracking vocals?

Done well, they're good and make a singer's voice sound more rich and powerful.

Done poorly, when the two vocal performances by a singer are not sung exactly the same way, they're dreadful.

I prefer what EMI would develop where they'd record a vocal once, and then put it slightly out of sync to create a second vocal for that same purpose of making a voice sound better. John Lennon called it "phlanging," I think.

LOL, maybe you can properly describe that for us, since I clearly don't understand the process well enough to make myself clear!
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 15:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: 6-CD Hollies Box set coming from EMI in May 2011
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:

The price at Amazon.co.uk is £17.99, but it will be less for people outside the UK, because Amazon.co.uk will subtract the UK VAT tax.

The photo shows Clarke, Hicks, Nash, Calvert & Elliott in front of a waterfall, and states mono & stereo.

I see it on a popular U.S. music site: about $50

http://www.amazon.com/Clarke-Hicks-Nash-Years-Complete/dp/B004QJL4D8/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1302190793&sr=1-4

Many times in the past, I've paid full price for a Hollies CD with only ONE newly released Hollies song when a bonus track was made available for the first time on some album reissue. In my opinion, I think that $50 is more than reasonable for this release which gives us seven new concert recordings of the 1968 concert PLUS it gives us three three first-even releases of novelty songs of Clarke Hicks & Nash putting French vocals to existing backing tracks of familiar Hollies songs.

As an aside, it's hard to believe that in 1968 a full concert was only eight songs in length. I wonder if some additional tracks from that concert are left out because Hicks/Elliott are unhappy with their performances.

So, it's ten new songs for me for fifty dollars? Well, that's only fifty cents per song. So I'll take that and will be ordering shortly.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 15:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Phil, did your post simply describe double-tracking vocals?

Done well, they're good and make a singer's voice sound more rich and powerful.

Done poorly, when the two vocal performances by a singer are not sung exactly the same way, they're dreadful.

I prefer what EMI would develop where they'd record a vocal once, and then put it slightly out of sync to create a second vocal for that same purpose of making a voice sound better. John Lennon called it "phlanging," I think.

LOL, maybe you can properly describe that for us, since I clearly don't understand the process well enough to make myself clear!

I was describing a double tracking of all three voices in the group's harmonies, I.E. after Clarke, Hicks & Nash recorded the first layer of vocals, they would sing the same parts again (on another track) to thicken the vocal sound.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 16:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: Re: 6-CD Hollies Box set coming from EMI in May 2011
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:

I see it on a popular U.S. music site: about $50

http://www.amazon.com/Clarke-Hicks-Nash-Years-Complete/dp/B004QJL4D8/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1302190793&sr=1-4

Many times in the past, I've paid full price for a Hollies CD with only ONE newly released Hollies song when a bonus track was made available for the first time on some album reissue. In my opinion, I think that $50 is more than reasonable for this release which gives us seven new concert recordings of the 1968 concert PLUS it gives us three three first-even releases of novelty songs of Clarke Hicks & Nash putting French vocals to existing backing tracks of familiar Hollies songs.

As an aside, it's hard to believe that in 1968 a full concert was only eight songs in length. I wonder if some additional tracks from that concert are left out because Hicks/Elliott are unhappy with their performances.

Former EMI executive Mike Heatley once explained why the concert stayed in the vaults, describing much of the concert as cover versions of American "Soul Music" numbers(I think he was refering to the type of R&B cover versions heard on the group's first 3 albums). Odd that they'd include those tunes in a 1968 show. By this point, Clarke, Hicks & Nash had plenty of hits with original songwriting.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 16:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Some of the 1963 & 1964 Hollies early stereo mixes DO feature vocals either central or on both channels & instuments spread out across the channels however - The stereo 'Whole World Over' (1963) has centralised vocals, and a number of the first album 'Stay With...' tracks from the stereo version (PCS 3054) such as; 'Memphis' which has Drums, Percussion on left channel, Bass & Lead guitar on the right with the Clarke-Nash vocals central...

'Talkin' Bout You' likewise instrumentally ....but with vocals spread out across the stereo channels - Nash's falsetto put towards the right channel....Clarke & Hicks on the left .
tracks like 'It's Only Make Believe', 'Lucille' (Note the strummed Acoustic rhythm guitar on the right channel with Lead & Bass guitars ) , 'Mr. Moonlight', 'You Better Move On', 'Whacha Gonna Do 'Bout it ?', 'What Kind of Girl', 'Rockin' Robin','Candy Man' etc.... all have both instruments and vocals spread out across both the stereo channels (often Clarke & Nash put on each channel)

'Baby Don't Cry' has instruments on the right channel....yet the vocals are split with Clarke on Left & right channels in places....Clarke & Hicks predominately on the left & Nash on the right...

'Do You Love Me' also has instrumentation on just the one channel while the vocals are spread out with Clarke & Hicks on the left channel...Nash more towards the Right.

The majority of the 'Stay With The Hollies' tracks do have a better quality stereo sound than that 'vocals left/instruments right' basic stereo sound - - which was as featured on the original 1964 stereo vinyl album UK Parlophone release...

I expect these early stereo versions will be featured on the forthcoming six CD Set....

after three poorer quality stereo albums (two unissued in stereo at the time) 'For Certain Because...' later in 1966 has in the main a very good stereo sound...however the following year's 'Evolution' album then curiously goes BACK to the very primitive sounding 'vocals one side/instruments the other' stereo sound - as has the stereo versions of singles like 'Carrie Anne' - and as I said before even 'Sorry Suzanne' in 1969 appears in this type of stereo (on the UK Parlophone 'Hollies Greatest Vol 2' issued early in 1972)

Possibly studio time....and COSTS were key factors here !

Re 'Double Tracking' - Listen closely to Clarke singing 'Texas' on 'Sweet little Sixteen'....you can hear his voice break off the lyric at differing points...!

On the point of remixes I understand besides EMI that some members of the Hollies themselves dislike 'rewriting history' when it comes to tampering with sixties mixes.....however we have seen a few exceptions to this rule ('I Can't Tell The Bottom from The Top', 'King Midas in Reverse') in recent years...approved by them.

EMI certainly COULD produce FAR better True Stereo mixes back then...earlier in 1961 'The Shadows' first album stereo version - Columbia SCX 3414 - features a splendid Stereo mix....and vocal tracks 'All My Sorrows' & 'That's My Desire' put the vocals central & spread out the instrumentation across the channels...

re the unissued tracks - officially they are either incomplete or simply 'unusable' it seems....whether that is the last word on those tracks only time will tell....(?)
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 16:52 pm

Last edited by Gee on Fri Apr 08, 2011 14:52 pm; edited 5 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Their live show often featured songs you would not expect...like 'Puff The Magic Dragon', 'Stewball, 'A Taste of Honey' 'Maybe I'll Settle Down' etc - the 1969 Golders Green televised show gives an indication of that....

I believe they were unhappy with the technical quality of the Lewisham Odeon show - maybe the screaming etc - in recent years they were still dead against using tracks from it....plus then as Nash announced he would be leaving in December 1968 that probably was the final nail re the projected Live album ....
PostPosted:Thu Apr 07, 2011 17:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next