graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » 6-CD Hollies Box released by EMI in May 2011
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
Undoubtedly, "The Hollies own artistic reputation factor"(as Gee describes it), is the reason why Poison Ivy"(Take 9) and the alternate "Searchin' " won't be included in the forthcoming 6-CD set. "Poison Ivy"(Take 9) ends with a horrificly bad bass note from Eric Haydock, and the alternate "Searchin' "(from the UK Compacts For Pleasure CD) has Allan harshly growling the lead vocal, and Graham making a lyrics mistake during the middle section.

And for those who must listen to this early version of Searchin', here's how you too can own that song on official EMI release:

http://www.hollies.co.uk/information.php?idx=59

The Hollies (1988) CD
INFORMATION
Label: EMI Compacts For Pleasure
Catalogue No. CDB7 52047/2
Release date: 01.May.1988
PostPosted:Sat Apr 09, 2011 15:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

And, as for "Poison Ivy"(Take 9), it's only CD appearance is on an unofficial CD, where it was dubbed from original Australian EMI vinyl. I hope that I don't upset anyone by mentioning this, but it's a moot point anyhow, since the disc(manufactured in the 1990's) is no longer available. The disc was titled "In a Spin".
PostPosted:Sat Apr 09, 2011 16:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
And, as for "Poison Ivy"(Take 9), it's only CD appearance is on an unofficial CD, where it was dubbed from original Australian EMI vinyl. I hope that I don't upset anyone by mentioning this, but it's a moot point anyhow, since the disc(manufactured in the 1990's) is no longer available. The disc was titled "In a Spin".

Thanks Phil. I actually have that disc, although currently it's packed away in storage.

That disc, if I can recall clearly, featured a bunch of tracks that were, at the time, not available elsewhere on CD. But subsequent CD's, I think, means that Poison Ivy's alternate take is perhaps the only track from In A Spin that we can't readily find elsewhere on official release. Have I got that right?
PostPosted:Sat Apr 09, 2011 23:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:

Thanks Phil. I actually have that disc, although currently it's packed away in storage.

That disc, if I can recall clearly, featured a bunch of tracks that were, at the time, not available elsewhere on CD. But subsequent CD's, I think, means that Poison Ivy's alternate take is perhaps the only track from In A Spin that we can't readily find elsewhere on official release. Have I got that right?

No, it has soundtracks from German & Australian T.V. appearances, but all of the EMI material(except "Poison Ivy" take 9) is now available on official CD's. The German T.V. appearances are available on DVD.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 10, 2011 0:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That's an interesting point re 'Born To Run' - have you heard the backing track or been told by someone at EMI it is only a 'backing track' ? - if so by who ?

I was told by Tim Chacksfield, Project co-ordinator for EMI, a few years back that it 'only needed further instrumentation' & proper mixing / production etc (I note that it's not descibed as 'Unissued Backing track only' in any of their sessionograpies)

Tim advised me that the arrangement sounded a bit dated (it would do - 1975 !) but was otherwise it was o.k. and they WERE apparently considering using it at one point...tho' of course as with 'Marrakesh Express' if it was 'minus any vocals' (even a 'Guide vocal' by solo Clarke as the 'Hello Lady Goodbye' demo had) that would of course explain why it was not used as a 'bonus' track for the 'Another Night' re-issue.

The way The Hollies worked was that they often had at least a 'guide vocal' or sang a song through (Even private demos like 'Maureen' had full vocals & harmonies) ...tho' as with 'Marrakesh' this was of course not always the case.

- I believe 'Don't Close Your Eyes' (1984) has vocals by Clarke-Hicks-Nash but the instrumentation & final Mixing/Production etc is incomplete...Tony apparantly once said: 'we really must go back and finish that one off someday...'

Re what The Hollies Limited own.....the 1983-84 WEA Recordings with Nash were not originally owned by them, and may still not be (hence 'Stop in The Name of Love' - despite efforts made by EMI - was not on the UK 'Greatest Hits' CD in 2003)

I believe there may also be some legal issues re the second unissued in the UK & USA Rickfors album tracks on 'Out On The Road' (1973) where a few ex-members have an interest as well.

I understand that Not all the Live Recordings are owned by them either....hence say the 1966 Live in Stockholm Sweden unique song 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' which was on the 'Long Road Home' Live Disc not being in this 'Complete' set (which we assume refers only to studio tracks besides the Lewisham Odeon show they do own).
PostPosted:Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 am

Last edited by Gee on Sun Apr 10, 2011 13:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Gee wrote:
That's an interesting point re 'Born To Run' - have you heard the backing track or been told by someone at EMI it is only a 'backing track' ? - if so by who ?

I was told by Tim Chacksfield, Project co-ordinator for EMI, a few years back that it 'only needed further instrumentation' & proper mixing / production etc (I note that it's not descibed as 'Unissued Backing track only' in any of their sessionograpies)

Tim advised me that the arrangement sounded a bit dated (it would do - 1975 !) but was otherwise it was o.k. and they WERE apparently considering using it at one point...tho' of course as with 'Marrakesh Express' if it was 'minus any vocals' (even a 'Guide vocal' by solo Clarke as the 'Hello Lady Goodbye' demo had) that would of course explain why it was not used as a 'bonus' track for the 'Another Night' re-issue.

The way The Hollies worked was that they often had at least a 'guide vocal' or sang a song through (Even private demos like 'Maureen' had full vocals & harmonies) ...tho' as with 'Marrakesh' this was of course not always the case.

- I believe 'Don't Close Your Eyes' (1984) has vocals by Clarke-Hicks-Nash but the instrumentation & final Mixing/Production etc is incomplete...Tony apparantly once said: 'we really must go back and finish that one off someday...'

Re what The Hollies Limited own.....the 1983-84 WEA Recordings with Nash were not originally owned by them, and may still not be (hence 'Stop in The Name of Love' - despite efforts made by EMI - was not on the UK 'Greatest Hits' CD in 2003)

I believe there may also be some legal issues re the second unissued in the UK & USA Rickfors album tracks on 'Out On The Road' (1973) where a few ex-members have an interest as well.

I understand that Not all the Live Recordings are owned by them either....hence say the 1966 Live in Stockholm Sweden unique song 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' which was on the 'Long Road Home' Live Disc not being in this 'Complete' set (which we assume refers only to studio tracks).

The series of Record Collector articles described "Born to Run" as a backing track, and it was Graham who expressed interest in finishing "Don't Close Your Eyes".
Actually, one track from "Out on The Road" appears, properly remastered on Terry Sylvester's 2-CD set "Complete Works 1969-1982"
PostPosted:Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That was 'Mr.Heartbreaker' - Both Terry Sylvester & Mike Rickfors would have an interest in the 'Out On The Road' album....Bernie Calvert too as a performing artist.

Terry's 'Complete Works 1969-1982 ' didn't of course cover all of his recording career either...or even within that period all of his Lead vocals for the Hollies ! - the over used term 'Anthology' might have been more accurate for that set.

I have been trying to persuade EMI (UK) to put a properly remastered with Bonus tracks version of that 'Lost' Hollies album out on CD for several years now.

The few remaining unissued Rickfors era songs such as 'Heaven in Her Heart' & 'On The Summer Side of Life' are currently deemed to be 'unusable'

IF this 'Clarke, Hicks, Nash years' set were to sell well there is more chance of EMI looking at the 'post Nash era' tracks as well......

On the general point of 'Rarities' it's worth remembering when the UK 'Rarities' album came out in November 1988 it was being said that was it re the unissued material....which was clearly not the case, so there is still hope that future unissued songs might one day be released.

I will see what I can find out re 'Born To Run' .....
PostPosted:Sun Apr 10, 2011 13:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

There's one possibility that we haven't considered: that the reason that we are not getting the entire Lewisham concert or more studio outtakes, is because that would require a 7-CD set. 6-CD jewel cases are an available product, but to release a 7-CD set would require EMI to design a different, more complex & more costly type of packaging, since there are no 7-CD jewel boxes.

EMI's ability to offer the set at a low price was dependant on offering the set in one multidisc jewel box. A 7-CD set would require individual slim cases or jewel cases in a slipcase, and this would cost EMI more.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
There's one possibility that we haven't considered: that the reason that we are not getting the entire Lewisham concert or more studio outtakes, is because that would require a 7-CD set. 6-CD jewel cases are an available product, but to release a 7-CD set would require EMI to design a different, more complex & more costly type of packaging, since there are no 7-CD jewel boxes.

EMI's ability to offer the set at a low price was dependant on offering the set in one multidisc jewel box. A 7-CD set would require individual slim cases or jewel cases in a slipcase, and this would cost EMI more.

If that's the case, Phil, I could easily suggest at least ten tracks from the box set that could be deleted in order to squeeze in the remaining songs from the 1968 concert.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:

If that's the case, Phil, I could easily suggest at least ten tracks from the box set that could be deleted in order to squeeze in the remaining songs from the 1968 concert.

But then it wouldn't be the complete studio recordings.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I wonder why the people who operate this website have not made any announcement concerning the box set? You'd think they'd want to publicise the set, and give us some detailed information about the compiling and mastering of the set, the reasons behind the mono/stereo choices, and whether the vault tracks that they've omitted actually exist.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 17:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:

It's already not the "complete" Hollies though 1969, though, is it?

No alternate Searchin and no alternate version of Yes I Will immediately come to mind.

Heck, when you get right down to it, ANY songs in the box set - whatever they are including the hits - should have been sacrificed to include the entire 1968 concert.

I seriously doubt that a single fan who will buy this box set doesn't already own a Hollies greatest hits disc.

And certainly, the compete concert is more important than including any track that the band did want release while that lineup still existed, as SOMEONE wtih the Hollies or EMI put that stuff on the shelf for a reason.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 18:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:

It's already not the "complete" Hollies though 1969, though, is it?

No alternate Searchin and no alternate version of Yes I Will immediately come to mind.

Both versions of "Yes I Will" ARE included. Look at the tracklisting again.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 18:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My guess is that EMI would not like to do the mistake of not including all the hits, like they did on the Long road home. Anyway the idea was that is should be "complete".

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 19:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

OK, OK, guys, you think they chose all tracks correctly. So be it, I won't further beat my head against the wall.

(for the record, I didn't miss a single omission of a hit song from that box set. The hits are most definitely NOT the reason I purchased that collection)

Of course, if EMI wants to e-mail to me mp3 files of the missing concert songs, I won't mind one bit.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 19:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next