graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
When you add this to recent DVD releases we've seen plus what I think will be a very important release from "Reeling In The Years," it's pretty amazing how much video product will have come out on the Hollies in the past few years.

"Reelin' in The Years" went totally silent about the second phase of releases in their "British Invasion" DVD series. Certainly, the first group of discs("Small Faces", "Dusty Springfield", "Herman's Hermits" & "Gerry & The Pacemakers") were all superb.

A second phase of releases was to include The Hollies, Manfred Mann & The Pretty Things, but despite substantial licensing & compiling work that was done towards these discs, they were never released, going into a limbo from which they may not emerge.

That is just about the worst news I could have been given.

Buzzkill.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 17:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It didn't help when the Producer of The Hollies 'Reelin'...' DVD got a rather unpleasant 'Rocket' from a few disgruntled 'Fans' on another forum.....so much so he snapped back and had a right 'Blast' back at some - and at one irate guy in particular who apparently was unhappy that no Rickfors era songs were included - and then he left apparently in a huff... Rolling Eyes

.......which would probably have done The Hollies chances of a DVD in that series no good at all....tho' hopefully it will surface at some point...we wait and hope
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Gee wrote:
It didn't help when the Producer of The Hollies 'Reelin'...' DVD got a rather unpleasant 'Rocket' from a few disgruntled 'Fans' on another forum.....so much so he snapped back and had a right 'Blast' back at some - and at one irate guy in particular who apparently was unhappy that no Rickfors era songs were included - and then he left apparently in a huff... Rolling Eyes

.......which would probably have done The Hollies chances of a DVD in that series no good at all....tho' hopefully it will surface at some point...we wait and hope

I do recall a live American T.V. appearance by the Rickfors line-up, possibly ABC's "In Concert". No idea if the recordings still exist. I recall one unique feature of the performance: The Hollies had four voices on this show, with normally non-vocal Bernie participating in the background vocals!
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I had the same reflections as you, Gee. Those nasty remarks were certainly very discouraging for the DVD makers. Let's hope it comes after all. I believe I read more details about the Pretty Things release somewhere not long ago.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:33 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

While I don't know the thread you mention, I certainly know what forum you're talking about.

Well, I hope that the Rickfors fan will feel pleased that he may have contributed to am important project being, at best, delayed.

Heck, I like the two Rickfors albums myself. But by any measure of either longevity or lasting legacy or sales, it's pretty easy to fill up a DVD without ever including any performance of the Hollies from that era.

Hard to imagine anyone being so upset by Rickfors' omission to get rude to the guy putting the DVD together.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
Gee wrote:

I do recall a live American T.V. appearance by the Rickfors line-up, possibly ABC's "In Concert". No idea if the recordings still exist. I recall one unique feature of the performance: The Hollies had four voices on this show, with normally non-vocal Bernie participating in the background vocals!

Phil, I have seen a LOT of Hollies videos, official releases and boots, over the years. But I think I can safely say that I never saw Haydock or Calvert with a microphone for their voices.

I would LOVE to see that performance.

That would be an interesting trivia question. Did Haydock, Elliott, or Calvert EVER have an audible word on any Hollies performance?

Maybe a count-in? Or a "When I'm Yours" chorus when it sounds like ten guys are singing at once? ANYTHING?
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I believe it's Bobby Elliott 'counting them in' on 'Dear Eloise' ('Two... Three... Four') after Graham's intro vocal - someone in The Hollies organisation told me that years ago...! (Not uncommon for the Drummer to do a 'count in')

Nash does many of the earlier 'count ins' - you can tell his voice !

Bobby recited the unissued 'Bobby's Prologue' poem circa 1970...

I understand that Bobby & Bernie joined in with everyone on 'Long Dark Road' singalong outro in 1971

someone shouts something like: 'Hey !' during the Clarke version of 'Transatlantic Westbound Jet' (1974) - possibly that was Bobby ....
PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2011 20:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gee and Knut,
I remember the way the guy was attacked about the DVD on another site, it was shockings really. Here is this guy going to bring out what we Hollies fans are calling out for and all he got was a lot of crap from many members.
I would imagine if they went to all the trouble getting the DVD together with the clips and interviews we will see it one day in the future. Lets hope so.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 0:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
elleransford Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

RE: Reelin'...I think the situation requires more patience than doom and gloom. I certainly haven't seen any official indication that the releases have been shelved. And the Pretty Things film was screened in Southern California earlier this year--would they have given it a public airing if they didn't intend for it to see the light of day?

http://cheunderground.com/blog/?p=7349

Mr. Reelin' David Peck was tough enough to take a defiant stance against the haters on the other board...as I recall, his response was like, "All those who can't see the value in what we've produced can do me a favor and don't buy it when it comes out." Doesn't sound like the type of guy who'd be easily discouraged by criticism.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:16 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You have a very good point, Elleransford! I have located the Facebook site of Reelin in the years, and I advise everyone to go there and post positive remarks. Type:
Reelin-In-The-Years-Productions in your top search field when you are on Facebook to get there.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2011 16:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

David Peck must have a very short temper, if complaints about the song line-up of his Hollies documentary caused him to cancel the release of all further "British Invasion" DVD programs, despite the effort and money that he put into the 3 unreleased programs(Hollies, Manfred Mann, The Pretty Things)
PostPosted:Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Banjo

Banjo

Phil Cohen wrote:
David Peck must have a very short temper, if complaints about the song line-up of his Hollies documentary caused him to cancel the release of all further "British Invasion" DVD programs, despite the effort and money that he put into the 3 unreleased programs(Hollies, Manfred Mann, The Pretty Things)

Phil, may I ask if and/or where you've seen an official word that these have been cancelled? 'Cause a delay doesn't necessarily mean they're dead and buried.
PostPosted:Thu May 05, 2011 13:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

elleransford wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:

Phil, may I ask if and/or where you've seen an official word that these have been cancelled? 'Cause a delay doesn't necessarily mean they're dead and buried.

Because the release was supposed to be LAST YEAR.
PostPosted:Thu May 05, 2011 20:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Banjo

Banjo

As I mentioned above, the Pretty Things film was shown in California this past January. Here's a report about the disc from Mike Stax in the latest issue of Ugly Things which came out a couple of weeks ago.

If someone that close to the project is confident about its release--albeit not as soon as we'd all like--I see no reason not to be.

But in an effort to quell any doubts, I've put in a query about it on RITY's facebook page--we'll see if I get some kind of answer. Hey, you might have me eating my words, who knows. But I'm not giving up on these DVDs just yet.
PostPosted:Fri May 06, 2011 16:26 pm

Last edited by elleransford on Fri May 06, 2011 19:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

And as for "The Lost Broadcasts" DVD/CD set, Amazon.co.uk has e-mailed me for the 3rd time to announce a postponement. In fact, there is no indication that any of the titles in the "Lost Broadcasts" DVD/CD series has ever been released.
PostPosted:Fri May 06, 2011 19:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next