graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject: Hollies Banter
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
I have really enjoyed the Hollies banter on stage over the years,
some that spring to mind are:
Tony saying he would like to be known as Anthony Hicks in Melbourne 2001.
Tony and Allan talking about things dropping off when you get older, I think Tony was talking about hair but he was not looking at Allan's head when he said it. That was Melbourne 1987.

What about you now. I would like to hear your memories, what are the things they say on stage at the concerts these days?
Don't be shy.

PostPosted:Thu May 20, 2004 5:20 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
peeji Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Ooooh I so hope they go to Australia so you can hear Tony's new erm introduction to Stop Stop Stop.

Those belly daners left a lasting memory on him. Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu May 20, 2004 9:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Anthony

I remember at the last Melbourne show, Carl leaving the stage for a costume change. Tony was trying to educate the audience on the Hollies when Carl re-appeared from behind the curtain unbeknownst to Tony. The audience saw Carl had changed into a pair of leather trousers and started to 'wolf-whistle' at him. As Tony didn't know Carl had re-appeared, Tony thought that people were interupting his story and told them to 'Ssh, ssh, listen to me!'.

Well I thought it was funny.

PostPosted:Thu May 20, 2004 22:50 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Kathy,
I don't remember, the mind is going, I do remember Carl and his leather pants and the Wolf Whistles. Tony is very funny on stage, I like the way the knew so much about our Johnny oops sorry John Farnham.
Peej I hope The Hollies return and Tony tells us all about the Belly Dancers, sure he was not talking about Christine our very own Belly Dancer.
Bye all,
Anthony

PostPosted:Thu May 20, 2004 23:22 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi All Exclamation

I remember when the Hollies played in Sydney in 1987, they had the audience in stitches all night especially Allan Clarke and Tony. There are a couple of things I remember from that concert, Allan teased Tony about his guitar by saying that Tony treated his guitar like a dummy (or pacifier as they say in America) and said that he took it to bed with him. And another thing that got laughs was the look on Allan's face when Tony started singing the second verse to Carrieanne in another language and then Allan called him a show off. Laughing

At the 2001 Sydney concert Carl left the stage to change his clothes while Tony took us all down memory lane by giving us a bit of Hollies history and then Carl came back on stage with a pair of tight leather pants and he got a lot of whistles and cheers so he took anvantage of it and gave a side and back view and everyone laughed at him. Personally, I thought that Carl looked quite sexy in those leather pants. Laughing

All The Best

Susie

Laughing Laughing
PostPosted:Sat May 22, 2004 5:06 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Marky J Post subject:

When I saw the Hollies in 1983 with Graham, the audience got the full explanation of Nash's "Willie" nickname. In full, it's "Willie, the one-eyed wonder-worm." Seriously, I'm not joking. Allan and Graham were acting like giddy teenagers that night.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 22, 2004 14:31 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Maybe Joni Mitchell and every other US female singer from the early 1970's could help to confirm this? Wink Shocked
PostPosted:Wed Jun 23, 2004 19:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Not the old trouser snake humour again. I have always enjoyed the Hollies banter, never been lucky enough to see Graham in the band but Tony and Allan were brilliant on stage together and now Carl and Tony make up a great team.

PostPosted:Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Anthony,

I'm trying to think back to soon 2 years ago to my one and only Hollies concert Shocked

I remember them joking about Tony's shirt that he bought at Wal-mart or K-Mart. Razz

Tony teased us that Nebraska was too flat, we needed some hills. He's totally correct observing the North Platte River Valley. Flat it is. But I would have been happy to show him the Sandhills or the Clay Hills up North if he wanted to see hills. Wink

He also teased us about our pronounciation of Kearney. We pronounce it Carnee instead of Keeeerney. Don't worry Tony. Other American's who are not Nebraskans pronounce in Keeeerney too. Rolling Eyes

I remember their compassion when mentioning 9/11 before they sang "It's In Everyone Of Us Crying or Very sad

To quote Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" "THAT was a pretty good day, why can't I live THAT day over and over again?"

Just hoping those precious memories don't fade.

Bye,

Shari
PostPosted:Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I've only seen The Hollies twice (Canterbury 1987 & Margate 1999), & the banter which I always remember was in 1987. During their acoustic spot they asked us to shout requests. I shouted "Do The Best You Can!", so Tony said "We Are!!!". Laughing
PostPosted:Tue Nov 22, 2005 15:24 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Good thread!

My favourites are:

Allan during the acoustic section, "Sorry, I don't know the words to this verse. Graham used to sing it and he left seventeen years ago!"

Also when they played Nottingham I think the cafe next door by chance was called something like Hollies Cafe or something like that, so Tony referred to it as "Just another wing of the burgeoning Hollies empire."

Micheal
PostPosted:Tue Nov 22, 2005 17:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

When I saw them at Bedworth, Tony made a joke about the clothes Ian was wearing. He said that they were from a S&M shop to which Ian replied he thought it was M&S, it got a big laugh from the audience. Also when I first saw the group in 2003, Carl asked Tony how his new electric gates were as they hadn't been working, Tony said they were fine. I think he looked a bit embarrassed by it but took it as a joke. At the same 2003 concert, Tony said after one song that he could tell they had just had a holiday as Alan Coates had played a different guitar part.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 02, 2006 19:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject: Show Banter
Banjo

Banjo

I last saw the Hollies in 1987 in Palmerston North, New Zealand just before we moved over to Australia. I recall two incidents including Tony starting the opening bars of "Too Young To Be Married". The audience started applauding and Allan launched into the lyrics of the Beatles "Yesterday". Tony starteg giggling (as did the audience) and stumbled to a halt. After looking at one another for a few seconds they started again and did it beautifully.

The other one was when a large insect, possibly a moth, landed on Allan Coates. There was then an exchange between the band members about his powers of attraction. Coates was going to kill it but there was an outcry from a couple of ladies near the front. He walked down the steps to his right and handed the insect over to them.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Show Banter
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think that the between-song banter is all rehearsed. There's not much ad-libbing from the lads.

I say that because when I saw the Hollies twice on the 1983 tour (including being in attendence at the Kings Island show that we've all heard), the patter and banter was almost word-for-word the same.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 18:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

If it gets a laugh, who cares!!!
It is nice to see the guys having fun as well as producing good quality live music!
However I did wonder if any one could tell me about the black and white cuddly dog that sits on stage every night!! Is he a new band member?
PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next