graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » In The Hollies Style
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: In The Hollies Style
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

12 tracks.

Nitty Gritty (Chase)/Something's Got A Hold On Me (Pearl Woods/Leroy Kirkland/Etta James)
Don't You Know (Ransford)
To You My Love (Ransford)
It's In Her Kiss (Rudi Clark)
Time For Love (Ransford)
What Kind of Boy (Irwin)
Too Much Monkey Business (Chuck Berry)
I Thought Of You Last Night (Freed)
Please Don't Feel Too Bad (Ransford)
Come On Home (Ransford)
You'll Be Mine (Ransford)
Set Me Free (Ransford)

This album is quite interesting, and a huge step forward from the band's first LP "Stay With The Hollies."

Obviously, the "Ransford" tracks were all self-written by the band. One question, though - did the Hollies' fans know that Clarke/Hicks/Nash were actually "L.Ransford" back then?

You'll Be Mine and To You My Love are great, particularly the first of those two which has the sound of a beat group 60's hit. I like this song more than "We're Through" which would become the band's first self-written single. To You My Love has Graham's first solo lead vocal. I like it, although the double-tracking of his voice wasn't done too well. Obviously, the Beatles & EMI engineers hadn't yet had their "flange" breaktrough.

For me, though, the best song is the gentle "I Thought Of You Last Night." It's a wonderful love song with sweet acoustic backing. Allan has a very, very good emotional vocal which is a real highlight for me. I recall the LP liner notes call it an "oldie" so I have to ask about it. Who performed the original hit version of this song? Was it ever covered by someone else before the Hollies released it? Did the original cover of this song make it over to the U.S.? I guess what I'm asking everyone is, how can I hear the original version of this song?
PostPosted:Fri Apr 20, 2007 14:31 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Wed Jan 02, 2008 18:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Sparty Scott,

I think "In the Hollies Style" is a great album, too. My favorite song from it, is "You'll Be Mine." It reminds me of the Beatles' earlier tunes. "To You My Love," is just beautiful, but I don't know about the origin of "I Thought of You Last Night." "Don't You Know," "Please Don't Feel Too Bad," "Time For Love," and "Come on Home" are more typical Mersey Beat tunes, while "It's in Her Kiss," "Something's Got a Hold on Me/Nitty Gritty," "Too Much Monkey Busines," and "What Kind of Boy" are true R&B covers all the way.

I'll see what I can find on "I Thought of You Last Night."

Vrinda Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Apr 20, 2007 18:44 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Here's what I found on the songwriter:

The writer of "I Thought of You Last Night" was Ralph Freed. He was the brother of another songwriter named Arthur Freed, who was the lyricist on "Singing in the Rain." Ralph was the writer of such songs as "How About You?" and "Hawaiian War Chant," as well as a composer, author, and producer. He went to Hollywood High School in Hollywood, California.

Freed was born on May 1, 1907 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

He was a contract writer for Paramount, Universal, and MGM studios, and then, in 1954, began producing television shows and films. He joined ASCAP in 1931, and his chief musical collaborators included Sammy Fain, Burton Lane, and Harry Barris. His other popular-song compositions include "Little Dutch Mill", "Who Walks in When I Walk Out?", "Mama Don't Allow It", "You Leave Me Breathless", "Lovelight in the Starlight", "Please Don't Say 'No', Say 'Maybe'", "I Never Felt More Like Falling in Love", "Adios Amigo", "I Thought of You Last Night", "Just the Way You Are", "All the Time", "The Young Man With a Horn", "In a Moment of Madness", and "Madam, I Love Your Crepe Suzettes."

Other "Hawaiian War Chant" and "I Thought of You Last Night," I've never heard the others.

He died on February 13, 1973, in California.

Here's a link to his page at the Internet Movie Database:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0293128/maindetails

"I Thought of You Last Night" has been recorded by other singers like Jimmy Young and Jeri Southern and is copywritten by 20th Century Songs.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 20, 2007 19:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for the info, Vrinda.

I think that I'll seek out those two performers that you list. I have a thing about hearing the original versions of songs that the Hollies cover.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 20, 2007 19:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You're welcome, Sparty. Glad to be of help!
PostPosted:Fri Apr 20, 2007 21:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I got this on CD in July last year, The Hollies second UK album release. A definite improvement to the first album for me, with 7 Hollies' own penned songs.
I even prefer the covers on this album with What Kind of Boy, Too Much Monkey Business and I Thought of You Last Night all really good.
My favourite of the album is To You My Love, then You'll Be Mine.
Please Don't Feel Too Bad has a very Lennon/McCartney vocal sound.

Are all the album statistics I've looked at correct - that this album didn't chart???Why ever not??? If it had been their first album I could maybe have understood people being wary of so many 'new' songs. A Mystery!
PostPosted:Tue Jan 25, 2011 14:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1