The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Flashback
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject: Flashback
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
It was 17 years ago today I saw the Hollies in Melbourne on Sunday Mother's Day May 10th 1987. I remember it was a fab show and started off with "Stop in the name of Love" The banter on the night between Allan and Tony was just so funny. The intro to Stop Stop Stop was brilliant, Tony played this Arabic type of solo, very fond memories.
The time passes so quickly and the Hollies are still going strong, we are a lucky lot to have this wonderful band,
Bye all,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sun May 09, 2004 22:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Anthony Exclamation

I saw The Hollies in at The State Theatre in Sydney on the 9 May 1987, I remember the date because it was the day before Mother's Day and I still have my ticket. I remember the arabic guitar intro that Tony did at the beginning of Stop Stop Stop and I was singing along to Carrianne when Tony decided to sing the second verse in a different language so I couldn't sing along with him, but Allan Clark and Alan Coates sang the first and third verses in English though. You are right Anthony, the banter was really funny and I hadn't laughed so much for a long time. I still remember that 1987 show as though it happened yesterday. Razz

All The best

Susie

Very Happy Laughing
PostPosted:Mon May 10, 2004 10:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Susie,
I think Tony may have sung it in French, I still have the concert ticket also, was it really all those years ago. Hope you got yourself a tour programme too.

PostPosted:Mon May 10, 2004 22:57 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Anthony Exclamation

It doesn't seem 17 years since that Hollies concert but it is. Unfortunately, I didn't get a programme because I had to stand in a line and by the time I got to the counter they were sold out Twisted Evil I felt like screaming at the time Twisted Evil So you think that Tony may have sang the second verse of Carrieanne in french, whatever language it was I never understood a word of it but he was good though. Smile

All The Best

Susie

Razz Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue May 11, 2004 1:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
peeji Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

multi talented bloke eh?

Wow, sounds like you both had a brilliant concert, I'm jealous.

Keep coming with your memories- they're really interesting.
PostPosted:Tue May 11, 2004 10:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Peej,
I have only seen 5 Hollies shows and each one was really special.
I'm just so happy to have seen both Allan Clarke and Carl as lead singers of the group. I was too young when they toured here with Rickfors. Don't be too jealous, you have future memories of shows that haven't happened yet. We can just dream, don't forget to hold up that sign at your next show "Hollies Needed In Australia"

PostPosted:Tue May 11, 2004 23:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Peej and Anthony!

I have only seen The Hollies 3 times and I plan to make it 4 and possibly 5 in November. Like you Anthony, I never saw them with Mikael Rickfors but I was lucky enough to see them with Allan Clarke and Carl Wayne as lead singer. You don't have to feel jealous Peej, because you have now seen the boys more times than Anthony or me (you lucky girl). Like you Peej, I also like reading about everyone's Hollies memories or concert reviews.

All The Best

Susie
PostPosted:Wed May 12, 2004 2:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Peeji,

The next trip over will include my eighth, ninth and tenth shows, although Heppenheim should be the eleventh (%$*$# Stillwater monsoon, although I need to get over that Embarassed - after all I did hear a nice sound check, and met Carl, Tony and Bob that day Very Happy ).

The variety has been great, too - will work out to three in the States, four in the UK, and three in Germany.

My question is...since you have to skip Wisley, where does that put us in our "little competition"? I think you will still be one ahead of me Crying or Very sad. I'm doing pretty well, despite my distinct geographical disadvantage...until this fall, when you will really start pulling ahead of me again.

I should try to get to Manchester and Buxton, too. Not just to keep pace with you, but also because of a little "job" I have for Carl to do... Wink

PostPosted:Wed May 12, 2004 21:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peeji Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yo Bruce!

I'll be on eleven after Heppenheim!

Yeah you should pop over in November, it's nothing out of the ordinary for you lol

Hmm think I can guess on this job you have for Carl or at least the peeps it may concern.... Cool

Mind you I don't think I'll be doing many gigs in November owing to that monetary problem of being a student
PostPosted:Thu May 13, 2004 9:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Peej,

Re: Carl's "job".

You often say that I know you pretty well. I'd say you've got me figured out nicely, too! Pretty special peeps indeed...

As for you not being able to attend very many of the November shows, that reminds me of...me. I get back to the States, decide I can't afford to go again for a good long while and then, within weeks, I am scheming again. Laughing

You could save up some money - cut out the pubs for a while. Good Lord! What AM I saying?? Embarassed

PostPosted:Thu May 13, 2004 20:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi All,

You all are just making me jealous of all the time you've seen the Hollies! Crying or Very sad

I've seen them once. A dream of a life time, I couldn't ask for more could I? Cool

Oh, but I wish me a wish that I could see them again one more time Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

*zucht*

Shari
PostPosted:Mon May 31, 2004 6:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Shari,
You are right one time is not enough, yes I have been lucky to have seen the Hollies 5 times starting in 1975.
I don't think the English really know how lucky they are.
Hope we all get to see them just one more time.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Mon May 31, 2004 10:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Shari.

Me too - just the once. I had missed them in the 80's because I didn't know they were here. I didn't see the advertisement for the gig in 2001. It was so small my brother had to point it out to me in the newspaper.

PostPosted:Mon May 31, 2004 21:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi All Exclamation

I have only seen The Hollies just 3 times and in November that will change to 4. Like you Kathy I didn't know the guys were on Australia in 2001 until about a week before the Sydney show when I was looking through a newspaper and saw the add for it so the next day I went to The Canterbury R.S.L. club and bought my ticket and to my amazement I still ended up down the front.

And Shari, I hope that The Hollies visit America as well as Australia/NZ next year so you can see them a second time. And you are right Anthony some people in England don't know how lucky they are to have the world's best band ever in their country.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Cool
PostPosted:Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well ah'm from Scotland and ah've lost count of how many times I've seen the Hollies. All I know is it's well over 100.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:34 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic