graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » New Zealand
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

One of my work colleagues, Steve, is from New Zealand and his mum is called Jacqui Taite who is a DJ on Coast FM in Auckland. She has just interviewed The Hollies!

I don't know much more detail but I understand that she is playing the interview on Friday morning between 10.00am and 11.00am NZ time.

If I've done my calculations right, that means it should be on between 9pm and 10pm tonight here in the UK.

This is the link: www.thecoast.net.nz

Happy listening!

PostPosted:Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
scousette Post subject:

John Truman wrote:
One of my work colleagues, Steve, is from New Zealand and his mum is called Jacqui Taite who is a DJ on Coast FM in Auckland. She has just interviewed The Hollies!

I don't know much more detail but I understand that she is playing the interview on Friday morning between 10.00am and 11.00am NZ time.

If I've done my calculations right, that means it should be on between 9pm and 10pm tonight here in the UK.

Happy listening!

Just heard the first segment of Jacqui's interview with Tony a few minutes ago. It was recorded when he was still in the UK. Another segment will be aired during the next hour --
Friday 4 Feb at 11:00 AM Auckland Time, Thursday Feb 3 10:00 PM UK Time, and in the US:

5 PM Eastern
4 PM Central
3 PM Mountain
2 PM Pacific

Tony talked about their recent successful UK tour, and the fact that they still enjoy performing live, and continuing to get standing ovations when they play.
PostPosted:Thu Feb 03, 2011 21:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Delia Morris Post subject:

I went to see the Hollies last night at the Trafalger Centre in Nelson New Zealand. It was just wonderful to see them again and what a great start to 2011. They played all the hits plus some of the newer material, all sounded great.

It was stifling hot in the centre and God knows how they coped coming from England, especially Peter wearing a suit!! Greyish/black, at that. The concert was very well attended and a great night was had by all. Tony Hicks (whose guitar was just brilliant) said one part, "can we move to Nelson". I almost shouted "sure anytime." If it was further into the show I would have. I would love to have the Hollies living locally! For a rolicking good time, go see a show if in your town. The light show was just lovely as well.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks John and Scousette for the info about the radio interview. I managed to catch a couple of parts of it.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 04, 2011 17:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Delia Morris wrote:
I went to see the Hollies last night at the Trafalger Centre in Nelson New Zealand. It was just wonderful to see them again and what a great start to 2011. They played all the hits plus some of the newer material, all sounded great.

It was stifling hot in the centre and God knows how they coped coming from England, especially Peter wearing a suit!! Greyish/black, at that. The concert was very well attended and a great night was had by all. Tony Hicks (whose guitar was just brilliant) said one part, "can we move to Nelson". I almost shouted "sure anytime." If it was further into the show I would have. I would love to have the Hollies living locally! For a rolicking good time, go see a show if in your town. The light show was just lovely as well.

Thanks Delia for your report Smile Good to hear you enjoyed the show. I hope Tony did the extra long banjo intro to Stop Stop Stop for the NZ fans, as that is fantastic. It must also have been good to see them do Too Young To Be Married, which we don't get over here.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 04, 2011 17:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Everyone

Well last night I attended the Hollies Concert Here in Christchurch, along with my son and a friend.

I must confess that I attended the concert with a certain level of hesitation and uncertainty .
Having seen the Hollies twice before with Allan Clarke, I was unsure of this current line up.
While I do own the CD's "Staying Power" and "Then Now Always" and do like these. We sometimes
can get caught up with styles and line ups of the past.

But Wow ................... From the opening song "The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee"
my hesitations and uncertainties were blown out of the water.

The Harmonies were as tight and good as ever. In particular the high parts were distinct and strong.
The concert was kept fresh throughout with lots of variations.

An example was Peter's performance of "I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top" which he performed solo on guitar
and vocal. This was a highlight for me personally. Also "Sandy" again Peter played solo guitar but this time was
accompanied by Tony and Steve with backing vocals.
Other highlights included Tony's extended intro's to "The Baby" on sitar guitar and "Stop Stop Stop" on the banjo.

One of my frustrations on many Hollies recordings, has been the understated playing from Tony. While we have had
glimpses of his excellent playing, it can be too sparse.
Well last night it was good to see him given much more space to play solo's and extended ones at that.
Highlights here were "Look Through Any Window" an excellent rendition with guitar interplay between Tony and Steve.
Also, "Too Young To Be Married" this was well received by the crowd with, a slightly extended guitar solo.
Tony sang lead vocals on this.
My son's and my hope for excellent guitar work was 110% satisfied thanks to Tony!

This current line up are truly professional in every sense of the word. I heard nothing but praise and admiration
from all around me.
The crowd cheered and clapped and sang their way through nearly every song, encouraged by the band members.
This concert has given me a whole fresh and renewed appreciation on both the current line up and the old songs as well.

I couldn't call myself a complete fan without mentioning the absolute brilliance of Bobby on drums also.
What can I say? Perfectly played.

I have seen several top acts from around the world, but I must say that this concert would rate as the best I have seen.
In fact would there be a better live band that currently exists..................?
Every member of this line up offers so much to the bands performance.
I look forward to more. Yes a live recording would be brilliant. Please........... .

Cheers
Ray

Here is the song list in order of performance

The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down......
Can't Let Go
Jennifer Eccles
Sorry Suzanne
King Midas In Reverse
Dolphin Days
She'd Kill For Me
Sandy
Just One Look
Yes I Will
Stay
Too Young To Be Married
Look Through Any Window

Break

I'm Alive
Bus Stop
On A Carousel
The Baby (with intro)
Weakness
I Can't tell The Bottom From The Top
Listen To Me
Here I Go Again
Gasoline Alley Bred
Long Cool Woman
Carrie Anne
Stop Stop Stop (with intro)
The Air That I Breathe
He Ain't Heavy
Let Love Pass
PostPosted:Fri Feb 04, 2011 22:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Many thanks Ray, sounds like it was a great night out

PostPosted:Fri Feb 04, 2011 23:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Ray wrote:
Hi Everyone

Well last night I attended the Hollies Concert Here in Christchurch, along with my son and a friend.

I must confess that I attended the concert with a certain level of hesitation and uncertainty .
Having seen the Hollies twice before with Allan Clarke, I was unsure of this current line up.
While I do own the CD's "Staying Power" and "Then Now Always" and do like these. We sometimes
can get caught up with styles and line ups of the past.

But Wow ................... From the opening song "The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee"

my hesitations and uncertainties were blown out of the water.

The Harmonies were as tight and good as ever. In particular the high parts were distinct and strong.
The concert was kept fresh throughout with lots of variations.

An example was Peter's performance of "I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top" which he performed solo on guitar
and vocal. This was a highlight for me personally. Also "Sandy" again Peter played solo guitar but this time was
accompanied by Tony and Steve with backing vocals.
Other highlights included Tony's extended intro's to "The Baby" on sitar guitar and "Stop Stop Stop" on the banjo.

One of my frustrations on many Hollies recordings, has been the understated playing from Tony. While we have had
glimpses of his excellent playing, it can be too sparse.
Well last night it was good to see him given much more space to play solo's and extended ones at that.
Highlights here were "Look Through Any Window" an excellent rendition with guitar interplay between Tony and Steve.
Also, "Too Young To Be Married" this was well received by the crowd with, a slightly extended guitar solo.
Tony sang lead vocals on this.
My son's and my hope for excellent guitar work was 110% satisfied thanks to Tony!

This current line up are truly professional in every sense of the word. I heard nothing but praise and admiration
from all around me.
The crowd cheered and clapped and sang their way through nearly every song, encouraged by the band members.
This concert has given me a whole fresh and renewed appreciation on both the current line up and the old songs as well.

I couldn't call myself a complete fan without mentioning the absolute brilliance of Bobby on drums also.
What can I say? Perfectly played.

I have seen several top acts from around the world, but I must say that this concert would rate as the best I have seen.
In fact would there be a better live band that currently exists..................?
Every member of this line up offers so much to the bands performance.
I look forward to more. Yes a live recording would be brilliant. Please........... .

Cheers
Ray

Here is the song list in order of performance

The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down......
Can't Let Go
Jennifer Eccles
Sorry Suzanne
King Midas In Reverse
Dolphin Days
She'd Kill For Me
Sandy
Just One Look
Yes I Will
Stay
Too Young To Be Married
Look Through Any Window

Break

I'm Alive
Bus Stop
On A Carousel
The Baby (with intro)
Weakness
I Can't tell The Bottom From The Top
Listen To Me
Here I Go Again
Gasoline Alley Bred
Long Cool Woman
Carrie Anne
Stop Stop Stop (with intro)
The Air That I Breathe
He Ain't Heavy
Let Love Pass

Thank you so much for your wonderful review Ray. You have answered one of my questions as to who would sing lead vocals on TYTBM and it was the songwriter himself. I have heard that the whole tour of New Zealand is a sell out now and friends of mine out there have told me that The Hollies were exceptional and cannot wait for them to return to New Zealand and totally wow the crowds again !
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Delia Morris wrote:

Thanks Dee Dee - Sounds like a fab night and twinned with Tony's hometown !!! Thanks for a brilliant review !!!
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

John Truman wrote:

Happy listening!

Cheers John for the thumbs up on the interview ! Very Happy
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Delia Morris Post subject:

Hi Dawn

Yes, great to hear "To Young to Be Married'.

Ray, such a great review and great someone has the playlist!!

Carrie-Anne
I am still to get back with more about Nelson, will do so after finishing work next week. To be honest, I am still getting over the whole thing----Dee
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thanks Carrie Anne , Delia and Anthony

Here is a link to a review from the Nelson concert. I hope it works.

Cheers
Ray

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/entertainment/performance-reviews/4618603/Hollies-bring-the-60s-flooding-back#comments
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Many thanks for a great review, Ray.

Glad you enjoyed the show so much.

I have now added it to the website

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I really enjoyed reading that review, thanks Ray Very Happy I quite agree, they're the best live band around!
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2011 17:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thanks Rob and you are welcome Dawn

Yes both my son and I enjoyed this show so much.

cheers
Ray
PostPosted:Sun Feb 06, 2011 18:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: