graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Hall of fame performance
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
lanny Post subject: Hall of fame performance

it appearrs that graham nash contacted allan and tony about the induction ceremony performance but nobody talked to Terry Sylvester at any point. If Allan decided he could not sing then why didnt they see if Terry could do so instead of singers from some band who had nothing to do with the Hollies? It seems that this ended up being a graham nash and allan clarke reunion as oppossed to the Hollies. I admit that I dont have much info other than what I have heard and read from yhis site and you tube but it does appear that Terry was left out and if true that would be unfair. Terry played and sang on some major hits and on many somewhat less big hits like Gasoline Ally, Hey Willy, Sandy etc. He also did a fantastic job replacing Nash and was a member for a dozen years yet it appears he was ignored. Possibly there are some hard feelings among members of the Hollies and Tony that still exist after 30 years. At any rate as a fan for over 40 years i found the whole thing depressing. All the members of the Hollies including Terry and Bernie should have been involved equally. Maybe Tony and Bobby didnt show because they saw this all coming. I have nothing against Graham Nash but think he was too involved in this to begin with. Anyway I am glad the Hollies finally got in. But, how can anyone expecy any of them to sing like they once did when they are nearing their 70's.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I completely agree with almost all you have written down.
But don't say that a voice of someone getting 70 must sound worse than in younger days. Your last sentence reads like this.
Take Cliff Richard. He sounds as good as ever (some say even better). The same goes with Tom Jones, Elton John or Eric Clapton. They are old men, as well.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 18, 2010 16:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I found a clip of Bus Stop from the night from Fuse website http://www.fuse.tv/ontv/shows/rock-hall-2010/video24.html,
PostPosted:Thu Mar 18, 2010 20:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
lanny Post subject:

benny-b-goode wrote:
I completely agree with almost all you have written down.
But don't say that a voice of someone getting 70 must sound worse than in younger days. Your last sentence reads like this.
Take Cliff Richard. He sounds as good as ever (some say even better). The same goes with Tom Jones, Elton John or Eric Clapton. They are old men, as well.

Point taken, I saw B.J. Thomas and John Fogerty of ccr recently and they sounded great. Maybe I was looking for an excuse for this whole thing.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I get the impression a few are gleefully starting to turn this into a: "Let's all Criticise Graham Nash" issue !

One guy on another Hollies forum was saying "It'll be The Graham Nash Show" even BEFORE the Ceremony took place....Great !
PostPosted:Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 am

Last edited by Gee on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Very well said Gee. Let's put all the suspicions to rest. We are so blessed to even have all the boys with us. So many beat group members have passed away. We should enjoy the moment and relish in the fact that the Hollies finally got what they have deserved for all these years. I personally feel great inside this morning.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It was a remarkable weekend for 'The Hollies' and 'fans'.

It was brilliant to enjoy (almost) all The Hollies on stage at the same weekend in London and New York. Every (ex)member in his own way.
Emotional to see their friendship for each other and love for their music (from 1963 till 2010). It was great to watch the younger generation singing Hollies' songs.
Those moments will never happen again.
I can only have respect for them all.

Thanks for 'The Hollies' music Smile
PostPosted:Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thanks Gee - very well put. Were you there or have you managed to find some more clips on the internet. There seems very little I can find.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I've seen the whole part of the Hollies induction, and I recorded it off my television and will be distributing copies to friends.

For the most part, I'm in agreement with what I've seen above in this thread.

The only thing I would have changed is for Bernie and/Eric to be given a bass to use and let THEM play with Paul Shaffer's band on these songs (even though three songs were recorded after Haydock had left the group), and of course Sylvester should have been on stage singing on Bus Stop and Carrie Anne -- he could have done Tony's part.

From the sound of things, Allan's participation as a singer was almost a last-minute thing, and somehow Sylvester and the bassists got shoved aside, very inappropriately IMO. If Clarke, Nash & Sylvester had been singing Bus Stop and Carrie Anne as a trio, providing the classic three-part harmonies that are THE Hollies trademark, then the performances and the evening would have been so much more memorable - to me, at least.

That singer accompanying Allan on L.C.W. has an amazing voice, has a range similar to Clarke's old voice, and would be great to see anytime. Let him and his group write songs as good as LCW, and I'd buy their records. However, no one tuned in to see him. Obviously he was there to sing with Allan because (rightfully so) Allan's ability to stay on key during that song - and that's a hard song to sing. Allan's microphone was turned down a little bit as compared to the other singer, so while you can hear Clarke's voice, it's not so evident when he might have strayed off-key once or twice during the performance. And you know what? Maybe Terry's voice isn't certain enough at his age, either. So, this young guy singing may have indeed been needed.

I'm very, very glad to have seen the whole performance, and I'll certainly watch the performance many times in the future.

Other than my relatively minor complaints above, obviously only one thing could have made things better, but alas that wasn't to be.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 19, 2010 14:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Well said Gee, I think that's the most intelligent and probably the most likely explanation of the whole 'Terry' issue.

I agree with Sparty too about Terry, Bern and Eric not being involved more. It would have been great to see them playing together with Allan and Graham. But on the other hand, we don't know all the details and maybe they weren't actually shoved aside. Perhaps they didn't have chance to rehearse together, or maybe they didn't even want to do any more than they did. Do we even know when was the last time Bern picked up a bass? I just think that there are lot of assumptions floating around about a lot of things at this stage.

At the end of the day, it was fantastic to see The Hollies finally get inducted. Whilst I would have loved forTony and Bob to have been there too and for them all to have played together I'm just thankful that I've not only seen Allan again, but seen him sing Hollies songs live on stage and with Graham too!

PostPosted:Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:11 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Re: Hall of fame performance
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

lanny wrote:
it appearrs that graham nash contacted allan and tony about the induction ceremony performance but nobody talked to Terry Sylvester at any point. If Allan decided he could not sing then why didnt they see if Terry could do so instead of singers from some band who had nothing to do with the Hollies? It seems that this ended up being a graham nash and allan clarke reunion as oppossed to the Hollies. I admit that I dont have much info other than what I have heard and read from yhis site and you tube but it does appear that Terry was left out and if true that would be unfair. Terry played and sang on some major hits and on many somewhat less big hits like Gasoline Ally, Hey Willy, Sandy etc. He also did a fantastic job replacing Nash and was a member for a dozen years yet it appears he was ignored. Possibly there are some hard feelings among members of the Hollies and Tony that still exist after 30 years. At any rate as a fan for over 40 years i found the whole thing depressing. All the members of the Hollies including Terry and Bernie should have been involved equally. Maybe Tony and Bobby didnt show because they saw this all coming. I have nothing against Graham Nash but think he was too involved in this to begin with. Anyway I am glad the Hollies finally got in. But, how can anyone expecy any of them to sing like they once did when they are nearing their 70's.

There was no intention of making this a Nash-Clarke reunion only. No one intentionally snubbed Terry, though he may think so. Tony and Bobby were not there because they were performing at the London Palladium that night and could not get out of the agreement. There was nothing personal intended at not having Terry perform. Bernie and Eric were not asked to perform, either. They had no complaints. As Holliesfan said, let's put all suspicion to rest.

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Mon Mar 22, 2010 22:07 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Elbows Post subject:

Pat Monahan of Train has some nice things to say about The Hollies, and Allan Clarke in particular, here:

http://www.examiner.com/x-3767-Celebrity-QA-Examiner~y2010m3d16-2010-Rock-and-Roll-Hall-of-Fame-ceremony-backstage-Faith-Hill-Iggy-Pop-Genesis-and-more

(It's near the bottom of the page, underneath Graham's and Allan's comments.)
PostPosted:Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
WishYouAWishxx Post subject: A little late...

I don't know if there is really anyone to blame for the whole 'issue' that happened. I really think it was bad planning on R&RHOF's part, but what do I know. All I do know is that Terry is not happy with what happened. He was extremely offended by the whole thing and recently released a few statements about it on his website.

Thursday 8th April 2010

There have been some suggestions that I was inappropriately dressed for the induction, no way, this is rock & roll, since when did we dress like penquins to do a concert? Also, why no mention of the outfit the guy from 'Train' wore, let's have a level playing field please. Various posts on you tube of me being drunk, are way off the mark, I was happy, very happy, & the actions of some very small minded people was never going to spoil my night, & it didn't. More tomorrow.

Wednesday 7th April 2010

Hi, Terry here, well my 20 mins interview with Rolling Stone got me two words in the magazine regarding the R&RHOF induction, "totally rude" were the words, & that's the way Graham Nash & Allan Clarke were to me, Allan ignored me thoughout the evening, I have no idea why, I don't recall falling out with him, mind you I've not seen him for 29 years. Even though Graham did mention me in his speech, he acted aloof all evening. I didn't have a problem with Allan & Graham singing Carrie Anne & Bus Stop, but why was Graham allowed to stay onstage & play tambourine on Long Cool Woman? Again "totally rude" comes to mind! So I decided to take things into my own hands, & do the right thing for me, like I've always done, & always will do. More tomorrow.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:13 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The more I read things Terry said the more frustrated he seems to me. If everything is ok, as it was said in many posts here, why doesn't it seem so in everything Terry says ??? Still I would like to know why his singing was so bad that night. His singing doesn't sound that bad during other occasions I've seen him singing live (f.e. youtube).
PostPosted:Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

From Terry's website this morning.

Friday 9th April 2010

"I was originally invited to the reheasal, the R&RHOF arranged my flight to arrive in NYC at lunchtime on the day before the induction. But when I arrived at the hotel, there was no rehearsal itinerary waiting for me. I am performing for the R&RHOF in Cleveland, Ohio May 15th, & intend to find out why those plans were changed, & most important, who changed them! Thanks for all your emails, 80% to 20% in support of my actions. This Saturday I'm giving a charity performance in St. Augustine, Florida for breast cancer awareness, needless to say, that is far more important than any of this subject, so I will leave it there, thanks for seeing my side of it. Best, Terry."
PostPosted:Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next