graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Hollies 1974 - with James Griffin
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Malc Post subject: Hollies 1974 - with James Griffin

Greetings all. I'm new to the forum, and my reason for visiting (despite a love of music 60's/70's-related) is that I am currently researching and writing a book on the US band BREAD, and the obvious connection is the 1974 UK Hollies tour, which had Bread guitarist/songwriter James Griffin as guest support - plus the subsequent Griffin & Sylvester album.
My first question is to inquire as to whether ANYONE has any specific recollections of that 74 tour ? How was James received by you Hollie-holics (what DO you call yourselves ? We're known as Breadheads !!) ? Any memories of his set-list ? ANY recollections would be greatly appreciated, with a credit in the book upon completion - if used ! Dare I ask if anyone has any Griffin memorabilia from the tour ?!

Many thanks !
Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Feb 01, 2010 16:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject: Re: Hollies 1974 - with James Griffin
Banjo

Banjo

Malc wrote:
Greetings all. I'm new to the forum, and my reason for visiting (despite a love of music 60's/70's-related) is that I am currently researching and writing a book on the US band BREAD, and the obvious connection is the 1974 UK Hollies tour, which had Bread guitarist/songwriter James Griffin as guest support - plus the subsequent Griffin & Sylvester album.
My first question is to inquire as to whether ANYONE has any specific recollections of that 74 tour ? How was James received by you Hollie-holics (what DO you call yourselves ? We're known as Breadheads !!) ? Any memories of his set-list ? ANY recollections would be greatly appreciated, with a credit in the book upon completion - if used ! Dare I ask if anyone has any Griffin memorabilia from the tour ?!

Many thanks !
Very Happy

Great post which brings back memories from the '74 tour in either Glasgow or Edinburgh, Scotland. I was a huge fan of Bread and after Gates and Griffin parted ways I had bought James Griffin's "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" album. I loved the album. The thing was that I had no idea at the concert that James Griffin was the lead act and it was a magical evening, but so long ago that I cannot remember the playlist but I am certain that the new album tracks were forefront and fairly certain also that some Bread tracks were played. Might have the concert programme but sitting in some box somewhere in Scotland....thanks for the memories!
PostPosted:Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject: Re: Hollies 1974 - with James Griffin
Banjo

Banjo

butterflybye wrote:
Malc wrote:

Many thanks !
Very Happy

Great post which brings back memories from the '74 tour in either Glasgow or Edinburgh, Scotland. I was a huge fan of Bread and after Gates and Griffin parted ways I had bought James Griffin's "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" album. I loved the album. The thing was that I had no idea at the concert that James Griffin was the lead act and it was a magical evening, but so long ago that I cannot remember the playlist but I am certain that the new album tracks were forefront and fairly certain also that some Bread tracks were played. Might have the concert programme but sitting in some box somewhere in Scotland....thanks for the memories!

*Correction: Griffin's album title was "Breaking Up Is Easy"
PostPosted:Mon Mar 15, 2010 14:01 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
sherb Post subject:

I'll buy the book when it gets published - I am a big fan of Bread and have all their albums (on vinyl of course Smile ). Does that qualify me as a Breadhead?

Sadly James Griffin is no longer with us - nor is Mike Botts and I saw that Larry Knechtel passed on last year too. Sad That just leaves David Gates and Robb Royer.

The Carpenters website (another group of that era who I love) has James listed on their site as "Arthur Griffin":
http://www.richardandkarencarpenter.com/biography-6.htm

I am so grateful that I made the effort to see the group when they toured Australia in 96 (or was it 97?). They were absolutely fantastic.

In regards to your request, I am wondering if you could somehow get access to any of the members of The Hollies who may be able to assist with your request. I am not sure how accessible they are though.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Malc Post subject:

I've tried to get in touch with Terry, via his website, but without success. It's worth a shot to try and talk to the other guys - thanks for the suggestion. I shall try a few angles ...

BTW - Arthur was James middle name, hence the reason he is officially listed as 'Arthur James' on most versions of "For All We Know" which he won an Academy Award for, and which The Carpenters recorded. He used the pseudonym (as did co-writer Robb Royer) for contractual reasons ... Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Mar 28, 2010 19:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1