graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Amazing Grace
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Oleøystein Post subject: Amazing Grace

Hi to all of you !

I have heard that The Hollies had a version of Amazing grace in their concerts, have they ever done that song in an album ?

Ole Øystein
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:46 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

They wanted to put that on the Live Hits LP but the best version was ruined by a phantom whistler. It was an acapella version.
This is described in the booklet of the Box set.

As far as I know on no official record there is a version of that, perhaps there exists a bootleg with it.
I would like to hear it, too.
As I said somewhere else, they should release another rarities album!
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 14:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I can't believe that with all the modern technology available in recording studios that the 'phantom whistler' Evil or Very Mad could not have been removed from the track Wink . There's certainly a lot of crowd noise in the Live Hits record, was the audience not miked? If so, could this track not be removed from the original mix... Wink I admit I don't have a scooby about what procedures can be carried out, but I would have thought this would not be the most difficult of tasks.....
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 18:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James. I agree wholeheartedly Very Happy But even back in 76 the band could have done something about it in the studio. There was a well known band (I won't mention them here but I think you know who they are) recorded an acoustic album at a small venue and low and behold there was another band playing on the floor below and they could be heard on the recording. So what did this somewhat smaller band do Question They went into the studio and re-recorded the damaged tracks and then released the album Very Happy But as you quite rightly say James, with to-days technology something could surely be done about it for a current release Question Rolling Eyes
GordonJ
PostPosted:Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I was lucky enough to see them sing it in 1975 as well as Let it be.
I think the Hollies should sing Let Her go down live, I feel they could do an acapella version and it would sound fantastic.

PostPosted:Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:41 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony I couldn't agree more with you...an acapella version of "Let Her Go Down" would be absolutely awesome!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 20, 2004 14:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Marky J Post subject:

Back in the late 1980's, Bernie Calvert told me that the group used to do "Amazing Grace" before Graham left! As for the track not showing up on LIVE HITS or LONG ROAD HOME, I can't see why not, since there was 2 New Zealand shows recorded (at least). Probably just laziness on part of the tape researchers (unless the "whistling" chap showed up for every show).
PostPosted:Wed Jun 23, 2004 13:02 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Chris Post subject: Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace is around on bootlegs but has a hum through the track as it was recorded using a hand held mike to the speaker on the TV. The show was Don't Get Sunburnt. I recorded it like that and passed on a tape copy to friends in the US. Before we know it, it appears on bootlegs. My understanding is that they only played that in the encore on two of the nights that they appeared in NZ. I am sure with todays technology the "phantom whistler" could have been removed.
PostPosted:Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1