graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Best Album covers
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bloody hell, an original version Shocked of the Out On The Road LP Shocked - that sure is a collector's item. If I remember correctly they go for anything between £40 and £80. I think I've also seen one for over £100 Question Treat it well!

In my opinion, this is also the best album cover the band used, shame it was restricted to a few countries. Distant Light and Romany also had good covers, as did Hollies Sing Hollies and Hollies Live Hits...but there's something particularly sophisticated about OOTR.

Let me know what you think of Judas River if you get it - I got my copy from a seller on www.gemm.com
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 20:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

My favourite Hollies album covers are the ones of Distant Light and Romany, but Out On The Road is also a very good one. But Hollies Sing Hollies ? I don't really like that cover. The Hollies Sing Dylan one is better in my opinion.
Russian Roulette also has one of my favourite album covers of the Hollies.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 20:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi James and Distant Light Exclamation

My favourite album covers are Hollies 74, Another Night, Hollies Live and Butterfly. There's no reason, I just like them. Cool

All The Best

Susie

Razz Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:35 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject: Best album covers

For Certain Because................

Epitomises the time..........
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:32 am
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

They actually had a lot of good or great covers but also some in my opinion very bad ones (-> Crazy Steal, Buddy Holly...). These two are very ugly. They should have made better ones for these.
I think they look very cheap.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Without the shadow of a doubt, Hollies Sing Hollies is the WORST album cover.... Crying or Very sad

Write On is also pretty poor, looks like cheap 70's wallpaper Shocked
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:15 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James

Didn't you write that you like the Hollies Sing Hollies cover?
In my opinion it's also one of the worst.
I wouldn't say about the Write On cover that it's one of the worst because it doesn't offend me. It doesn't do anything and it's surely not a good one espacially for such a great album but it's not ugly like that Buddy Holly and Crazy Steal ones.
I don't know why they sometimes chose so poor ones and sometimes so great ones? For me an album cover is very very important.
I would like to know what they think about the album covers now. You can't say that the Crazy Steal cover is a good one not in the time it was released and not now. I can't understand why they chose that one, I would make a better album cover with just one pencil and a white sheet.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight - I did say at the top that I liked the Hollies Sing Hollies cover Shocked - a complete and utter mistake! Crying or Very sad Must have had a few too many drinkies to write that.... Laughing

I meant the Hollies Sing Dylan cover - very sophisticated in my opinion Cool
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2004 18:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm with Tony W. I like For Certain Because.........

I don't mind the Hollies Sing Hollies cover. Just shows how CLOSE they all were. Embarassed

PostPosted:Sun Apr 18, 2004 0:24 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Don't look at where Tony Hicks puts his hand on the cover of Hollies sing Hollies, I heard they were just good friends.
Best cover goes to Hollies (1974) great photo of the lads plus I love the group shot on the Hollies Greatest hits Vol.2, also from the Sylvester years. As far as 60's covers go I love "In the Hollies Style"
Worst three are:
Confessions of the mind
He ain't heavy, US album cover, what is it?
Buddy Holly

PostPosted:Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

My favourite album cover is without a doubt 'Evolution'. This was the first non-hits Hollies album I ever bought (in the early 80s when I was in my teens), & the cover really captures the adventurous almost-but-not-quite-psychedelic music inside. Almost everything about this album is magical to me, with the possible exception of 'Leave Me' (a good track, but it has the sound & feel of 1965 Hollies, not 1967!).

PostPosted:Fri Dec 23, 2005 20:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My fave Hollies album covers:
Distant Light, Romany, Hollies ('74), Out on the Road (these four are also my favorites content-wise; shows how you CAN judge an album by its cover!)
60s era would be: Evolution (US version; the band logo on the UK version bothers me for some reason), Stop! Stop! Stop!, Bus Stop, and Dear Eloise/King Midas in Reverse, for the cover photos, which were well chosen. I think the US covers in the '60s were an improvement over the UK versions. The UK versions seem too cheesy and hastily put together overall to me.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Mine are

Butterfly
Distant Light
Romany
Another Night
What Goes Around

PostPosted:Tue Jan 31, 2006 20:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Here are the two best rock & roll album covers of all time:

Oh wait, were you talking about the best Hollies album covers?

Well, for that, I like "Hollies Sing Dylan" album the most -- the lads look like very competetent, cool musicians, don't you think?

I'm also fond of the "For Certain Because" cover because they look like a bunch of beatnik hashish smokers, particularly Graham. Laughing
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 21:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Bloody hell, an original version Shocked of the Out On The Road LP Shocked - that sure is a collector's item. If I remember correctly they go for anything between £40 and £80. I think I've also seen one for over £100 Question Treat it well!

In my opinion, this is also the best album cover the band used, shame it was restricted to a few countries. Distant Light and Romany also had good covers, as did Hollies Sing Hollies and Hollies Live Hits...but there's something particularly sophisticated about OOTR.

Let me know what you think of Judas River if you get it - I got my copy from a seller on www.gemm.com

Ironic, isn't it? "Out On The Road": the album that has one of the best covers is also one of their best albums, and it is the only album in their catalogue that is unavailable on CD. And we wonder why The Hollies get so little respect in comparison to other British Invasion greats.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 24, 2006 17:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next