graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Allan Clarke
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Funny that Allan could just say that much and leave it at that, and the interviewer didn't prod him further. I wonder where he went, what he saw, and what, specifically, didn't he like. I know, there are some parts of the U.S. where I would not want to live. Just because you're already in America doesn't mean you'll like every bit of it.

I have a feeling Allan went someplace where it might have been too noisy, with too many people. When my brother was looking for a place to live near where he worked, the real estate agent showed him some apartments that were, let's just say, not too livable. One place had lots of cats and dogs, there were several children running around screaming, and a guy in tattoos and piercings was sleeping the basement. The landlord forget to tell the tenants that someone was coming to look the place over. Needless to say, my brother did not rent an apartment in that building, or even in that town.

Keep in mind here, that Russell Harty mentioned "high lights." Could it be that he was referring to Hollywood, or LA, and that was where Allan went and that was what he was referring to? If so, then I would understand why. I wouldn't want to live in that area.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 07, 2007 16:48 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Fri Sep 21, 2007 22:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Here are some memories of Allan a fan posted on the Manchester music site:

Manchester Memories of the Hollies

I worked for about a year at a "cash/credit" store called Washington's on Deansgate, with the entrance on Queen St in 1965.

Graham Nash and Alan Clarke both met and worked there in the early 60's and left just before I started.

Their first record was called "Just like me". I bought a copy from Bakers & Sons TV and Record shop on Ashton New Rd in 1964. That record was the worst record I ever bought. Probably why it's never mentioned anywhere.

Alan Clarke's "mam", worked at Washington's as the tea lady. Big urn of tea very sugary and I remember, for the 10-10.30am break and the 3-3.30pm break. She always had a fag on, with the ash bending at the end and at least once I caught it falling gently into the tea she was stirring up.

I remember Alan Clarke and his sister coming into the store after he had just got back from a successful tour of America, sometime in 1965. I asked him for his autograph, but I lost it the same day.

Mike Barlow
PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 18:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

What lost the autograph!What a twit .I would have framed it in gold and charged people admission to view it.I'm not on my own here,am I?

PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 19:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree, Paula, except I might be too shy to charge total strangers money to see it! Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 20:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I infact do have the lads autographs ,which I got from the fanclub in 1985.It's nice to know I have a piece of paper that was touched by St.Allan's hands.It's about as close to Allan's hands as I'll ever be Embarassed

PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 20:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

At least you got that close! Wink
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 18:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
At least you got that close! Wink
We have to be thankful for small mercies Smile

PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 19:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, at least we have those! Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 22:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
I infact do have the lads autographs ,which I got from the fanclub in 1985.It's nice to know I have a piece of paper that was touched by St.Allan's hands.It's about as close to Allan's hands as I'll ever be Embarassed

I wish I had an autograph from him the closest I ever got was when I saw the hollies live in 1999 I never realised how lucky I was til I heard on the radio a few months later he retired and I bawled my eyes out Sad
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 21:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

katdowl wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:

I wish I had an autograph from him the closest I ever got was when I saw the hollies live in 1999 I never realised how lucky I was til I heard on the radio a few months later he retired and I bawled my eyes out Sad
You were so lucky to see the Hollies live.You cannot imagine (or maybe you can,as a Clarkie) how cheated I feel simply by "timing" that I'll NEVER see or hear Allan live.I just became re-Hollified in the summer and I was devastated to find out Allan had gone Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad .I can totally empathize with you,and I know Vrinda will too.

PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 21:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I can definitely imagine how cheated you feel that is so unlucky I couldnt believe what he was wearin at the concert.... leather trousers Laughing
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 21:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

katdowl wrote:
I can definitely imagine how cheated you feel that is so unlucky I couldnt believe what he was wearin at the concert.... leather trousers Laughing
Oh! Shocked but we can forgive Allan anything.He is a leather-clad god.

PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 22:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hehe I'm not so sure when you're 13 at the time that look is quite disturbing on a 57 yr old Laughing
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 22:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Even if it is the one and only clarkey
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 22:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
I can definitely imagine how cheated you feel that is so unlucky I couldnt believe what he was wearin at the concert.... leather trousers

I'd be unnerved a bit if I saw Allan in leather pants. I saw him wearing them in "The Air That I Breathe" video on YouTube, but that was in 1974! He would have been 32 years old then, and it would have been understandable, but at 57? Allan, no wonder you needed to retire! Very Happy

Quote:
You were so lucky to see the Hollies live.You cannot imagine (or maybe you can,as a Clarkie) how cheated I feel simply by "timing" that I'll NEVER see or hear Allan live.I just became re-Hollified in the summer and I was devastated to find out Allan had gone Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad .I can totally empathize with you,and I know Vrinda will too.

I sympathize deeply. I wasn't even following the Hollies at the time, and had no idea he was retiring. The radio stations in the U.S. didn't report it.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 22:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Page 4 of 6