graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Hollies philharmonic show in Kiel
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the photos and great review of the Kiel concert, Knut!
PostPosted:Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Brilliant review of the Kiel Concert Knut. It sounded truely wonderful. It was great seeing you again at Grassington and meeting your lovely wife - Another Hollies epic performance - See you soon - Carrie Anne xo
PostPosted:Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A 2 CD/DVD pack would be great. "Then, Now, Always" + the live show in Kiel on 2 CDs and a DVD. That would be perfect. "Jennifer Eccles" sounded great with the Philharmonic orchestra. I hope the band won't miss the chance to release a live CD/DVD of this show.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 12, 2009 15:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Here is an interview with Bobby about the Kiel Show. Can anyone translate this for the forum please.

Many thanks.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Jul 14, 2009 16:46 pm

Last edited by hollies on Sat Jul 25, 2009 13:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, O.K., I will have a try. Sorry for any mistakes. Some passages are very hard to translate (especially the passage below the photo of Bobby).

Here is my attempt:

AN OLDIE STILL KNOWS STAGE FRIGHT

Guests in Kiel

Anke Pipke chatted with Bobby Elliott of The Hollies about 40 years of pop music

Kiel. - That's the way a legend looks like - Bobby Elliott, born in 1942 and foundation member and drummer of The Hollies. More than 40 years in the rock music business and still there are premieres. Tonight he and his fellow band members Tony Hicks (also a member from the beginning on), Ray Stiles, Peter Howarth, Steve Lauri and Ian Parker are playing with a 60-piece orchestra and a soprano singer for the first time. Rock meets classic is the programme's title starting at 8.30 p.m. on the town hall square. The Hollies meet the Philharmonic Orchestra Kiel.
"Nervous (or "Excited" - I'm not sure what is meant) ? I'm very nervous (excited)," Bobby Elliott says while drinking a cup of capuccino at the Hotel Steigenberger. "But we love facing such tasks in a very disciplined manner." That doesn't mean that there is no time for sightseeing in Kiel and a small glass of beer he reveals with a grin.
Bobby Elliott never wanted a different job. "My mum owned a little shop and she sold sweets and biscuits in big bowls. I always beat on them," he says. "That wasn't so good for our shop. That's why I preferred learning on real drums." As a teenager he played in several bands and met a girl. "A guitar stood in a corner at her home and I asked who played on it. It was her brother Tony Hicks, another founding member of The Hollies, and my brother-in-law since 1994 because I have married his sister." Being together for so many years and no discords ? "We have a debate about arrangements and stuff, of course, but that is forgotten the next moment. Our priority is music." When they started having success The Beatles had already been famous. Paul McCartney and he sat door to door in the legendary Abbey Road studios in London quite often and produced their songs. 18 of those songs The Hollies had in the top ten of the British charts. "The song 'Bus Stop' opened the doors to the whole world for us. U.S.A., Germany - we had great times here." He says that today's business is very different, of course. Much more PR and marketing and video-clips. "We never had a serious video," he admits. But they had another number-one hit in 1988 with "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" being released again. The idea of never making music or being on stage anymore never comes up. "I get up every morning with a song in my head and I start whistling it and writing it down." Forever Rock'n'Roll. "I have many traditional percussion and drum sets at home. Others collect stamps, I collect percussions and drum sets. Everything is music for me." In a few minutes he has to go to rehearsals in the castle because for a premiere like that even legends have to practice. But that's what they love.

NEXT TO THE BAND PHOTO:
Bobby Elliott, Steve Lauri, Peter Howarth, Ray Stiles, Ian Parker and Tony Hicks - today The Hollies are playing with a 60-piece orchestra for the first time.

BELOW THE PHOTO WITH BOBBY:
Rain in Kiel. So what ? Bobby Elliott has the best because double protection from the rain, a skilled MAnchester cap and a Kieler week cap.

THAT'S IT Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Some things that were new to me:

1. Bobby is married to Tony's sister ? Didn't know that Tony and Bobby are one family since 1994.
2. Bobby beat on sweets bowls in his mum's shop - interesting
3. Bobby writes every song down ? Why don't we have more Bobby Elliott numbers then ?
4. The article spells Elliott sometimes with a double t, sometimes with one - the double t is correct, isn't it ?
5. The newspaper article says that this concert is a very special event more than once but there is no comment about a possible future DVD release - what a pity! Sad
PostPosted:Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Many thanks Benny, good work.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Many thanks to Knut for a splendid review from Kiel! It was very nice meeting you, hope to see you soon again. This Kiel-concert will last forever!

(IŽve got most of the concert recorded in my new camera. IŽll just hav to learn how to transfer it to my computer. If it works the way it should IŽll try to transfer it further to all of you).
PostPosted:Thu Jul 16, 2009 22:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks very much for putting the interview with Bobby in Kiel up Rob. And thanks so much to Benny for the excellent translation. I really enjoyed reading it - Cheers Guys Very Happy Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for nice comments to my Kiel show review. The Kiel version of Jennifer Eccles is now also on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJOck68OBjo

It's really sad those of you who were not there cannot see and hear He ain't heavy with soprano and orchestra. Let us have a DVD petition!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 19, 2009 20:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

There is yet another report of The Kieler Woche 2009 with some fragments of The Hollies :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc1A7pkzy34
PostPosted:Tue Aug 25, 2009 14:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just found a professional clip of I can't tell the bottom from the top with Pete and the orchestra from Kiel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKIhWqap4bk

No price for guessing who wears the grey cap standing left of the centre in the audience at the end of this Sandy clip from the same show:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MegaSherriff#p/u/0/Dsl5ePj4K3c

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 08, 2010 20:03 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Knut,
Many thanks for the youtube links, always enjoy seeing these new clips. Yes a DVD of the show would be fab. Now the Hollies are going to enter the Hall of Fame I would love to see an official DVD of the band.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 08, 2010 20:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Knut wrote:
I just found a professional clip of I can't tell the bottom from the top with Pete and the orchestra from Kiel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKIhWqap4bk

No price for guessing who wears the grey cap standing left of the centre in the audience at the end of this Sandy clip from the same show:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MegaSherriff#p/u/0/Dsl5ePj4K3c

These two clips from Kiel are wonderful Knut - Peter has an amazing voice with so much passion and emotion - Tony and Ray also excell themselves with beautiful backing vocal harmonies on Sandy - Cheers CA xo
PostPosted:Tue Feb 09, 2010 23:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2