graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Ron Richards R.I.P.
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Ron Richards R.I.P.
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just read on a website that the Hollies' original producer, Ron Richards, died on April 30, 2009.

I have yet to find it available on a query on a search engine, but the source that revealed the news is reliable.

Sad news indeed.
PostPosted:Wed May 06, 2009 1:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

This is Geoff's tribute to Ron:

Ron Richards was an EMI Staff Producer...indeed an Assistant to George Martin.

Ron was in fact Present at The Beatles EMI Test Recording on 6 June 1962...Ron & George BOTH spotting the Fab Four's potential...

Famous as the Hollies Producer....Ron Richards ALSO Produced The Beatles !

Ron Produced both "P.S. I Love You" and Co-Produced with George Martin the original "Ringo" version of "Love Me Do" (which made no.17 in the UK back in 1962)

- indeed Beatles Recording Engineer Geoff Emerick has spoken of Ron Richards being present with him in the Engineer's Booth at Abbey Road as The Beatles recorded "A Day in the Life" in 1967...saying Ron was "knocked out" by the song..

indeed in studio chatter on the Beatles "Anthology" George Harrison...jokingly chiding George Martin over an admitted error asks:

"Does Anyone know what Ron Richards is doing...?"

Ron & George ALSO Co-Produced Gerry & The Pacemaker's songs....including the famous
"You'll Never Walk Alone" ....

Ron Richards was Producer of The Paramounts (Later Procol Harum)....handling their 1964 UK hit "Poision Ivy"....and P.J.Proby records too...

but of course it was as Producer of The Hollies that Ron Richards came into his own....

24 consecutive UK chart hits with The Hollies....from "Just like Me" (1963) to "The Baby" (1972)...was a magnificent track Record for ANY Producer....even beating The Beatles actual NUMBER of UK "Official" consecutive hit singles...

Ron Richards & his longtime Recording Engineer Peter Bown together made the brash Exciting Northern band into something very special ....Ron got Tony Hicks handling the Lower Harmony lines....forming the world famous "Hollies Sound" of Clarke-Hicks-Nash....

Bringing the vocals up in the mix....and also featuring the powering drums of Bobby Elliott & the "Ringing" guitar sound of Tony Hicks...Richards oversaw an irresistable commercial edge to the Hollies music...

Ron also handled their perhaps even more Adventurous album tracks & highly original 'B' sides with equal skill & care....

The More Experimental mid sixties onwards Hollies songs may have not personally appealed to Ron...a far more "Old School" figure than say George Martin...nevertheless the Production on tracks such as "King Midas..." "Stop Stop Stop"....and albums "Evolution" & "Butterfly" was spot on...Richards always gave his best to his job...

Ron also supervised the important introduction of Terry Sylvester into the band in 1969...his Epic Production of "He Ain't Heavy...He's My Brother" saw a new era for The Hollies...Ron provided excellent prodution on the seminal albums "....Sing Hollies", and "Confessions..." (1969-70)

Due to illness Richards missed some of "Distant Light" (1971) ....tho' he did Produce "The Baby"...providing The Hollies with a UK chart hit, even minus Allan Clarke...tho' he walked out on the "Romany" sessions arguably feeling the band's commercial touch was missing...

After overseeing Final work on the second "Rickfors Hollies" 1973 album...Ron properly returned for the reunion album "Hollies" (1974) - handling both "Curly Billy" & then the classic "The Air That I Breathe" in 1974.

Ron also produced "Sandy", and the albums "Another Night" (1975) and "Write On" (1976)....he later re-united with The Hollies one last time on the superb "Five Three one..." album in 1979...

Ron Richards was also a partner with George Martin, Peter Sullivan, & John Burgess in AIR Studios - to which the Hollies briefly re-located in 1971 - as the famed producers sought more Artistic freedom & recognition - "Long Cool Woman" was recorded there.

Allan Clarke said:

"Ron Taught us a Hell of a lot..."

Graham Nash said:

"Ron Richards and Peter Bown were Staunch supporters of The Hollies and gave us the Benefit of their collective experience to bring out the best in us as Musicians..."

Bobby Elliott said:

"Ron deserves an Obituary in The Times..."

Amen to that !

R.I.P. Ron - A Legendary Record Producer who really Did: "Pay Us Back...With Interest"

Rest in peace, Ron. Thank you for all the great music you helped create. Crying or Very sad

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Wed May 06, 2009 21:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Great tribute to a genius producer. R.I.P. - God Bless You Ron.
PostPosted:Wed May 06, 2009 22:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

His name is virtually synonymous with The Hollies.
Mr. Richards, helped to create so much sonic delight.

Let us hope he is remembered not only for his invaluable
contributions to popular music, but also for how many lives
those contributions have touched in a positive way.
Though I feel sadness, and sympathy for those who
knew him. I also have infinite gratitude that he left us so much.

may he rest in eternal peace.

and in the end ...

PostPosted:Mon May 11, 2009 4:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Seddon Post subject: Ron Richards

I went to school with Rons younger son , and our families became close as a result . Coincidentally my father was also involved in "entertainment" , as a screenwriter for MGM, and later as a comedy advisor for the BBC . Ron and Dad became good friends, and in many ways had a lot in common. Later , when the lot of a screenwriter became more and more problematic, Ron was really supportive of Dad and my family. He was a true friend to Dad ,and he never forgot it . Although in recent years they hadn't seen each other, when Dad died in 2001, Ron was present at his funeral and was wonderful with my mother. So as much as Ron was a great producer of music , to my family ,he will always be much more. His funeral is on Friday, and I will be there to pay my respects accordingly .
PostPosted:Tue May 12, 2009 20:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
nyyankee Post subject:

Just learned of the death of Mr. Richards on April 30th. Truly the end of an
era of Hollies history.
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a bit more discussion about Ron
Richards' contribution to the Hollies' recorded history.
Though his involvement largely ended with "531 7704" in 1979,
his influence on the Hollies' sound cannot be understated. His productions have not
become dated, and many sound as fresh today as they did 35-40 years ago.
Here in the States, Epic Records tracked Ron down in 1990 for an interview
which appeared in the booklet for the "Epic Anthology". Some interesting
thoughts indeed:
Mr. Richards confirmed that he was pretty autocratic in the recording studio....no
surprise there, since one of the tradtional hallmarks of the Hollies was a very
disciplined sound. He described in detail how he would "build" a track, from
Bobby laying down a drum foundation, and, perhaps a guide vocal from Allan, to
the final finished product, with orchestra usually added last. He also, in
somewhat of a surprise, infers that he didn't think Bernie was a very good bassist,
though he never mentioned Bernie by name. He also confirmed the presense of
an occasional studio hand, Elton John, Mitch Mitchell, and others, on the sessions.
Mr. Richards also mentioned his son Tony, who at the time was working for Alan
Parsons, and how much, how corporate the music business had changed from
the 1960s to 1990, when the interview was done.
This was the only time I ever read an extensive interview with Ron Richards
about his years with the Hollies, worth noting now with his passing.
Sadly, we don't today have the producers who truly made magic in the
recording studio.....Ron Richards, George Martin, Tony Hatch, Mickey Most,
and many, many others. Their work stands the test of time.
PostPosted:Sun May 24, 2009 19:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Much as the Hollies owe a GREAT DEAL to Ron Richards, I think by the time they stopped working together they had "Run their course" as a team....

Ron Apparently said a few strange things which IF true seem very puzzling....

He always cited his work with P.J.Proby as his BEST Production work....indeed he often seemed very "cool" to his Hollies work...
PostPosted:Mon May 25, 2009 16:35 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 17:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Great posting Gee Cool Cool Cool .

It is puzzling Ron saying some of these things Confused . Do you know when he said them? We do know how memories fade and get distorted. Even Graham Nash himself has remembered a few things incorrectly in the past Embarassed .

I can't really blame Ron for not being sure about Makarresh Express being a Hollies song. I have been unable to make up my mind on that one Confused. And yes, Allan Clarke's on LCW was very unclear in places Shocked. Now we all know that helped create the atmosphere of the song and make it what it Cool Cool but I think we have all struggled over various lines in it on first hearing! So you can sort of see Ron's point here.

Anyway, the other things are quite puzzling. Do you when they were said, Gee?

Many thanks, Paula Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted:Mon May 25, 2009 20:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I read in a Melody Maker interview Allan Clarke said:

"There came a point where it seemed we just couldn't record anything together with Ron anymore...I may have been one of the Reasons"...."
PostPosted:Tue May 26, 2009 7:50 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 17:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gee wrote:

I read in a Melody Maker interview Allan Clarke said:

"There came a point where it seemed we just couldn't record anything together with Ron anymore...I may have been one of the Reasons"...."

Yes I remember that quote also came up in the LRH booklet. I think they didn't rely on Ron as much as they did during the sixties and came up with more of their own ideas

I can't understand the bass player remark either I wonder what made him say it if he did say it. Bernie certainly didn't deserve the comment. Confused
PostPosted:Tue May 26, 2009 19:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1