graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Worst Hollies song
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

To clarify the changes in recording technology hinted at above... "Hollies Sing Dylan" I think is mainly recorded on 4 track with perhaps some 8 track songs. EMI had an 8 track machine in storage until The Beatles "liberated" it in August or September 1968 to somplete the "White Album" but not all artistes in Abbey Road got to use it until someway into 1969.. "Hollies Sing Hollies" is the first complete album to be recorded on 8 track.

8 track shifted very quickly to 16 track within a year and by 1972 16 track and in some cases 24 track had become the norm.

The Hollies worst song? In my opinion this has to be the infamous "Pegasus" on my fave album "Butterfly"... see my review for my remarks on that!
PostPosted:Tue Nov 22, 2005 13:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Peter,
I was at a mates place and he played me a video clip of Prince singing Purple Rain, I have never been a fan of the song but I felt the Hollies made a better job at it.
I hate a lot of the real slow album tracks like Be with you,When I'm yours, Stormy Waters.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I agree with you Anthony! I'm not a fan of these three songs - the last being the worst in my opinion. But there are other slow album cuts like "Cable Car", "Romany" or "Look At Life" that I really really like! When they are "earthier" they are good, but when they are too corny I don't like them either.
PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 15:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I must say some of the posts here mentioning "worst" songs are downright shocking; "Long Dark Road" just may be my favorite Hollies track of all; the harmonies are incredible. Is there a better showcase of their singing? "Draggin' My Heels" is great; a different turn for them, but it works. "Stewball" is another track that displays the band's harmonies at full peak. How can anyone call themselves a fan of The Hollies and knock these tracks, when they are clearly some of their best? Of my least favorites, I'd pick some from the Dylan & Buddy Holly albums, "Stay with..", and "What Goes Around". These are the weakest albums by the band in terms of either material, arrangements, or inspiration. It didn't take a lot of thought to come up with the idea of an all-Dylan album, an album of all the songs they were doing in the clubs ("Stay.."), or a then-trendy synth & drum machine-laden mess such as WGA. For me it's hard to pick out individual songs I dislike, but album projects either rise or fall depending on the three things I mentioned.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I must say some of the posts here mentioning "worst" songs are downright shocking; "Long Dark Road" just may be my favorite Hollies track of all; the harmonies are incredible. Is there a better showcase of their singing? "Draggin' My Heels" is great; a different turn for them, but it works. "Stewball" is another track that displays the band's harmonies at full peak. How can anyone call themselves a fan of The Hollies and knock these tracks, when they are clearly some of their best? Of my least favorites, I'd pick some from the Dylan & Buddy Holly albums, "Stay with..", and "What Goes Around". These are the weakest albums by the band in terms of either material, arrangements, or inspiration. It didn't take a lot of thought to come up with the idea of an all-Dylan album, an album of all the songs they were doing in the clubs ("Stay.."), or a then-trendy synth & drum machine-laden mess such as WGA. For me it's hard to pick out individual songs I dislike, but album projects either rise or fall depending on the three things I mentioned.

Talking of 'Stewball', every time I hear that I can't help singing the words to John Lennon's 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'! Maybe that's where he got the inspiration from? Try it yourself: instead of singing "Stewball was a racehorse..." sing "So this is Christmas..."

Peter

PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, Lennon and Harrison had their moments of lifting melodies from other sources, didn't they? "Come Together" sounds very much like Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" (which of course The Stones also recorded). And we all know about "My Sweet Lord" and all the trouble it caused George Harrison.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 18:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

"Come Together" which indeed as you point out resembles the Chuck Berry track, also caused John Lennon several years of problems. He and Apple were sued in 1970 on the day The Beatles split became public...

Thus began a lengthy complex saga which was brilliantly unravelled in an edition of Mojo 3 or 4 years back which led to John Lennon having to record some songs from the same publishing catalogue owned by the notorious Morris Levy, who went on to release the unauthorised "Roots" album forcing Lennon and Capitol to release "Rock And Roll" very quickly to counter it... all this after the notorious sagas with Phil Spector trying to record the album, then running off with the tapes...
PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 20:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I hate 'Soldiers Song' it so slow and depressing. The orchestration is over the top and Tony's guitar solo is weak. It didn't deserve to be a hit and I am glad that it wasn't Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted:Fri Nov 25, 2005 18:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hope2005 wrote:
I hate 'Soldiers Song' it so slow and depressing. The orchestration is over the top and Tony's guitar solo is weak. It didn't deserve to be a hit and I am glad that it wasn't Evil or Very Mad

Actually it was a minor hit in the U.K. (number 5Cool.

PostPosted:Fri Nov 25, 2005 18:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I personnally do not like 'How Do I Survive'. Before release I received a promo CD of an EMI-representative. I played it in the shop and really felt ashamed. Who wrote this?

I also do not like 'Stop in the Name of Love'. At the time of release I was about 12 years old. Even at that age I didn't understand why they choose this cover for a come back. It even was a hit. I never understood. I did like Take My Love and Run though.

I also always skip 'If I Needed Someone'. It just doesn't fit between the other Hollies' songs.

Worsed Hollies songs mentioned before that I really like: Stewball, Day That Curly Billy.. (was their only Nr. 1 hit in Holland), Soldiers Song and Long Dark Road.

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:12 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

That should read number 58 (Soldier's Song).

PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Ro-Robert wrote:
I personnally do not like 'How Do I Survive'. Before release I received a promo CD of an EMI-representative. I played it in the shop and really felt ashamed. Who wrote this?

I also do not like 'Stop in the Name of Love'. At the time of release I was about 12 years old. Even at that age I didn't understand why they choose this cover for a come back. It even was a hit. I never understood. I did like Take My Love and Run though.

I also always skip 'If I Needed Someone'. It just doesn't fit between the other Hollies' songs.

Worsed Hollies songs mentioned before that I really like: Stewball, Day That Curly Billy.. (was their only Nr. 1 hit in Holland), Soldiers Song and Long Dark Road.

Ro-Robert

I listened to 'If I Needed Someone' again yesterday, & it's much better than I remembered it! A very powerful recording. But I still agree that it shouldn't have been an 'A' side.

PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject: Worst Songs
Banjo

Banjo

I agree that Wiggle That Wotsit is pretty bad. It was roundly ridiculed in New Zealand when it got airplay there.

I can't agree about When I'm Yours which is redeemed by the great guitar solo. In Cable Car the lyrics lack impact but I just love the piano/keyboards.

Some other dud songs include Burn Out, Pegasus, Sweet Country Calling and Isn't It Nice. I also get annoyed by any arrangement that includes the piccolo.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

What about the wimpy 80s ballads, "Too Many Hearts Get Broken" and "Reunion of the Heart"? Lest we forget, both sung by Clarke and both super-duds, FAR worse than anything from the 60s or 70s.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 27, 2005 14:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Very personal thread this!

I think Sweet Country Calling is one of the finest Hollies songs. I find most of In The Hollies Style too boring to listen to. Ye Olde Toffee Shoppe sounds from the title that it will be a fascinating mixture of chocolate and psychedelia but it is the only track on Evolution I just never want to listen to. Very plain and cute in a bad way.

I guess there are many other ones I don't care much for but the boys did have an amazing knack for melody so even if the lyrics get a bit silly now and then, the songs are always pretty hooky and enjoyable.

Micheal
PostPosted:Tue Dec 27, 2005 18:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic