graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » concert for George
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject: concert for George
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Last night I saw "Concert for George" for the first time, it was great. Now the Hollies had the Harrison number "If I needed Someone", pity they were not on the show doing their hit. I have noticed the band never really do these type of shows, I remember live Aid, also no Hollies. Can anybody tell me if they have ever done these type of concerts/shows?

PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

If I Needed Someone was great, if a bit ahead of it's time. When it first came out, if I am not mistaken it didn't do as well as it should have but when I heard it at one of the Hollies concerts, I thought it was brilliant. I've heard it by the Beatles but I think the Hollies version is the best.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some sort of friction over the Hollies releasing it.... maybe that's something to do with them not being invited to appear on that show, but if it is, I think they were being petty. Isn't it?

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject: Re: concert for George
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Last night I saw "Concert for George" for the first time, it was great. Now the Hollies had the Harrison number "If I needed Someone", pity they were not on the show doing their hit. I have noticed the band never really do these type of shows, I remember live Aid, also no Hollies. Can anybody tell me if they have ever done these type of concerts/shows?

I vaguely remember the band doing a show in about 1988 in Sheffield. I think it was for Sports Aid or something similar.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Shells2907 wrote:
If I Needed Someone was great, if a bit ahead of it's time. When it first came out, if I am not mistaken it didn't do as well as it should have but when I heard it at one of the Hollies concerts, I thought it was brilliant. I've heard it by the Beatles but I think the Hollies version is the best.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some sort of friction over the Hollies releasing it.... maybe that's something to do with them not being invited to appear on that show, but if it is, I think they were being petty. Isn't it?

I think George thought it was a terrible version of his song - so its not surprising they weren't invited to do it.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That's right KP, The hollies only recorded the song cos they'd heard George had written it for them but as soon as he heard the hollies version he is supposed to have been very critical and said they sounded like session players. The hollies did an excellant acoustic version of the song on their 94 or 95 tour or maybe both. Talking of charity/campaign records the hollies also did an environmental issue recording in Germany along with a number of German artists around 1993.
All the best
GordonJ
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gordon Exclamation

I heard/read the same story about George going around bad mouthing The Hollies version of 'If I Needed Someone' and some people do think that is why it didn't do to well on the charts. But that was 38 years ago so therefore it shouldn't stop the boys from being invited to appear at a benefit concert for George. In my opinion that doesn't make sense to not invite someone for something that happened almost 40 years ago. Confused I think that nobody thought of asking The Hollies to appear at the concert which is what usually happens. Rolling Eyes

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:14 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi susie, it is a strange thing but looking at the hollies enthusiasm for other projects over the last 15 years or so, it wouldn't surprise me if they declined the offer. Then again would even they decline the offer to hounor somone like George Harrison Question
GordonJ
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Again Gordon Exclamation

You have a very good point but I can't imagine the boys declining the offer to honor George. They aren't that cruel/mean.

All The Best

Susie

Cool Smile
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi KP,
Yes your right, they did do Sports aid in 1988 and sang He ain't heavy.
It was a number one that year.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 22:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I remember reading about that argument. I think George was rather petty about the whole thing so I can see why, if the Hollies were invited to appear in the concert, they would decline. Actually I think George was a wee bit green cheesey about it all! Laughing

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Apr 13, 2004 20:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic