graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » If you...
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterpoos Post subject: If you...

If you had the final say in what the playlist was for a future tour and you insisted a melody of six B sides from the 24 Parlophone singles,which were released in the U.K,should be included.What songs would you choose. My own favourites are Whole World Over,So Lonely,It's You,Open Up Your Eyes,Do The Best You Can and Not That Way At All.

This is just a bit of fun to see what B sides are popular with the fans. I remember in the good old days when you brought the single home from the shop.You played the A side first of course,but there was that sense of excitement in wondering what the B side sounded like.

Do we know if the boys read these posts and would they consider any suggestions put forward by the members of this forum.

If something like my suggestion was used,this would keep it fresh each year for both the band members and the audience watching the live shows.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

There are so many great B-sides and album tracks by The Hollies. To pick just one is very hard. But my absolute favourite one was from the first hearing and still is the B-side of "I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top" which is "Mad Professor Blythe". Good melody, nice harmonies (i really can see the mad professor when I close my eyes and listen to this brilliant song) and a great Tony Hicks guitar solo. It would be SO GREAT to hear the present line-up playing it live.
Other favourites not mentioned yet are: Nobody, You Know He Did, Running Through The Night, Signs That Will Never Change (!!!!), Oh Granny, For What It's Worth I'm Sorry. And there are many more.
Oh, and it would be a perfect addition to see "Confessions Of A Mind" as a complex track, which is absolutely brilliant, being performed live. Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: If you...
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterpoos wrote:
If you had the final say in what the playlist was for a future tour and you insisted a melody of six B sides from the 24 Parlophone singles,which were released in the U.K,should be included.What songs would you choose. My own favourites are Whole World Over,So Lonely,It's You,Open Up Your Eyes,Do The Best You Can and Not That Way At All.

This is just a bit of fun to see what B sides are popular with the fans. I remember in the good old days when you brought the single home from the shop.You played the A side first of course,but there was that sense of excitement in wondering what the B side sounded like.

Do we know if the boys read these posts and would they consider any suggestions put forward by the members of this forum.

If something like my suggestion was used,this would keep it fresh each year for both the band members and the audience watching the live shows.

How funny ... when I bought a new record I would first play the B side. If that was worth listening to my anticipation would heighten as I flipped the record to the A side...it just had to be better.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
There are so many great B-sides and album tracks by The Hollies. To pick just one is very hard. But my absolute favourite one was from the first hearing and still is the B-side of "I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top" which is "Mad Professor Blythe". Good melody, nice harmonies (i really can see the mad professor when I close my eyes and listen to this brilliant song) and a great Tony Hicks guitar solo. It would be SO GREAT to hear the present line-up playing it live.
Other favourites not mentioned yet are: Nobody, You Know He Did, Running Through The Night, Signs That Will Never Change (!!!!), Oh Granny, For What It's Worth I'm Sorry. And there are many more.
Oh, and it would be a perfect addition to see "Confessions Of A Mind" as a complex track, which is absolutely brilliant, being performed live. Very Happy

You get my vote for "Mad Professor Blythe". That song always puts a smile on my because it so infectious. I totally agree about the melody and harmonies. I just wonder if the boys can replicate it on stage. It is without question, a brilliant song. I think it's beautifully arranged as well.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree 100% with Mad Professor Blythe, I just loved that song, it was so much fun, would have loved to see them sing it live or make a video of it, Allan could have dressed up as Mad Professor Blythe, with his white lab coat, it always brings a smile to my face too Holliesfan.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 15:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Johngill Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I always loved the Hollies B-sides. My favourites were (possibly in order of preference, but not sure)

So Lonely
Not that way at all
Do the best you can
Running through the night
Don't run and hide
I've got a way of my own
Baby that's all

and so many more
PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 16:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Good question! Both Mad Professor Blyth and Do The Best You Can bring a smile to my face and Anthony that image of Allan in a lab coat has got me imagining Very Happy I was lucky to see the Hollies perform both Running Through The Night and Not That Way At All with Allan back in 1999, it would be great to see the present Hollies do them again. I would also like to add the B-side of We're Through Come On Back.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 18:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Fav B Sides

Keep Off That Friend Of Mine
Baby That's All
I've Got A Way Of My Own
Do The Best You Can
It's You
Born A Man
Crocodile Woman
Corrine

I know it's more than six but there are so many that I love !!!
PostPosted:Fri Mar 27, 2009 22:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Yes The Hollies have done a lot of great B side"s.Here are some of mine favourites.

1. Keep off that friend of mine
2. So lonely
3I"ve got away of my own
4.Baby that"s all
5.Mad professor blyth.

Have a nice day.

Håkan.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 28, 2009 13:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My favourite 'B' sides are

Do The Best You Can
'Cos You Like To Love Me
Dandelion Wine
Row The Boat Together
Cable Car
Love Is The Thing

There are heaps more that I like too.

Susie

PostPosted:Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
phil newton Post subject:

I'm not going to list any particular songs, just say one of my favourite cds is "The Other Side of... (The Hollies Plus)

There's not a bad song on it! (22 gems)
Even "Blowin'In The Wind" (It really pisses me off when the so-called critics knock "Hollies Sing Dylan" - I think they did a great job with their version of Dylan's songs!)
Same goes for Hollies Sing Holly - love that album too!
PostPosted:Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

The set list in 1999 included this section of 5 songs, one after the other.

After The Fox

Don't Let Me Down (acoustic)

Not That Way At All

Butterfly (Alan Coates - Solo)

Runnin' Through The Night

If you care to trawl through the Concert Review section of the website, you will find that many songs that were not mainstream hits have often been included in the set over the years.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Sun Jan 10, 2010 13:03 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1