graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » "Then, Now, Always" The new album is released
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
I still am surprised about this kind of promotion of a new Hollies CD. The Hollies are a worldwide phenomenon, one of the greatest bands ever. Why is a new CD by this great band sold at concerts and via internet only ??
Will there ever come a time when I can go into my CD store and enjoy the feeling of holding this brand new CD in my hands and buy it ? I did it when "Staying Power" was released. What about this one ? Confused

I applaud this move. I've been saying for years that this is the kind of thing they should have been doing. If it's a self-released project (I don't know if it is) then the costs will be lower and there will be less (if any) middle men. That way full control can be applied and the fans still get an album. Only a hypothesis but perhaps, in the current economic climate, it's not viewed as a profitable option to mass produce it. Or maybe we're just getting a pre-release at the concerts and it will be released commercially later. I really don't care - it's a new album and that's good enough for me!

I do appreciate the going into the store, etc scenario but frankly, times change. I used to love going into the store, picking up a brand new record (vinyl) and taking it to the counter and buying it, but that doesn't happen now either. At the end of the day I'm happy to receive any new music from the artists I love no matter how it comes Very Happy

PostPosted:Mon Mar 16, 2009 19:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

1. Then, now, always:

2. If you see her

3. One touch

4. Passengers

5. I would fly

6. Coming home

7. I lied

8. One way ticket

9. Too much too soon

10. Unforgivable

11. Hearts don´t lie

What am I missing here. The main page of this site says that the new album as 12 new songs, and I quote: "Coming soon - The Hollies latest CD with 12 brand new tracks "

edit - never mind, the front page has been changed to say eleven tracks.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 16, 2009 21:12 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Mon Mar 16, 2009 23:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I´m starting to check the composers on the new album. As a swede I found the names of Stefan Olsson and Fred Johansson as composers of One Touch together with Mark Read.

I´ve never heard of these two swedes before but I found the homepage of Stefan. Listen to The Hollies-track One touch in original. It´s really, really, really good!

Here´s the link:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=247143031
PostPosted:Mon Mar 16, 2009 22:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Bonus wrote:
I´m starting to check the composers on the new album. As a swede I found the names of Stefan Olsson and Fred Johansson as composers of One Touch together with Mark Read.

I´ve never heard of these two swedes before but I found the homepage of Stefan. Listen to The Hollies-track One touch in original. It´s really, really, really good!

Here´s the link:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=247143031

And here´s the link to Mark Read
http://www.myspace.com/markreadmusic
PostPosted:Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Bonus wrote:
Bonus wrote:

Here´s the link:

And here´s the link to Mark Read
http://www.myspace.com/markreadmusic

And here´s the link to another norwegian/swedish composer, Hanne Sorvaag who has co-written If You see her on the new album
http://www.myspace.com/hannesorvaag
PostPosted:Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:03 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Ok, phoobingcamel,
that is your opinion. Maybe you're right. But still I am not convinced that this is a good marketing strategy. I have heard "Weakness", "So Damn Beautiful", "Emotions" on German radio stations. I doubt if there will ever be a song on German radio from the new album if it is not released officially.
And, although I really would love to hold this new CD in my hands and enjoy it, I still don't buy it via internet because I don't like buying via internet. It just can't be true that everyone who can't afford to fly to England to visit a Hollies concert and buy it there, has to take the trouble and make a money transfer from Germany to England just to buy a brand new CD by a great Beat band. It's easier to buy an extremely rare Elvis Presley bootleg than a brandnew studio album by The Hollies. That makes me very angry. It just annoys me that many people here on the forum will talk about the new songs soon and I will never hear them maybe just because I don't like buying via internet. I have all the Hollies albums and that one will not be in there ?? That is not really fair. Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Tue Mar 17, 2009 14:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Why can't a few of the new CD tracks be uploaded to ITUNES or YouTube? If the songs exist on a CD surely the music can be uploaded so that Hollies fans AND music lovers in general can get to hear it. If we can put a man on the moon, surely this can be accomplished.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 17, 2009 15:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Yes I absoluty agree with you Benny.

Thank you. Have a nice evening.

Håkan.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 17, 2009 17:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I recommend You to read Ray Stiles "Who did what" on this site! I was totally wrong about who´s singing the lead on Hearts don´t lie. It is Peter. Aha! But Steve is instead singing lead on Coming home.

Shame on me!
PostPosted:Wed Mar 18, 2009 17:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hey Bonus, what are you referring to when you say read "who did what"? Where can I find that info?
PostPosted:Wed Mar 18, 2009 18:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's on the official page:

http://www.hollies.co.uk/CD_ThenNowAlways_who.html

How I love I would fly!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 18, 2009 19:26 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Knut wrote:
It's on the official page:

http://www.hollies.co.uk/CD_ThenNowAlways_who.html

How I love I would fly!

Thanks Knut!
PostPosted:Wed Mar 18, 2009 20:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
It just annoys me that many people here on the forum will talk about the new songs soon and I will never hear them maybe just because I don't like buying via internet

Well obviously that's your choice Benny, but isn't that like cutting your nose off to spite your face?

At the end of the day, in an ideal world, everybody would be happy and we'd all have everything the way we all want it but, sadly that's not the case. The whole new album argument has been going on I think probably for the last 20-something years and along with it all the shoulds, coulds, whys, why-nots, etc. I can't claim to know the ins & outs of why nothing was released before Staying Power, nor can I make any claim to knowing what the financial viabilty is regarding EMI (or whoever) releasing a hard copy in stores. But I think that one sad point is, no matter how much we love the band and think that they're one of the greatest bands ever, a new Hollies album probably isn't going to rack up the cash even close to the latest offering by, say, the Pussycat Dolls. And if (and I note I say "if" - I'm just playing devil's advocate) it's not deemed commercially viable how can the band & record company thus justify releasing it? One thing for sure is that they're not going to do so just for the sake of a comparitively few fans who want it that way. That point itself has been highlighted many times over the years in such discussions, to which my objection has always been OK, if that's the case then the band should release an album off their own back and if they only sell it at concerts and online then they'll soon recoup costs, make a profit and the fans will be happy, thus everyone wins. Hence why I applaud the move, something that many other artists have been doing for years and years and years. I'd certainly rather have an album released that way than no album at all. But I do hope that it will also be released in stores and you can go and get your copy Smile

With regards to marketing strategy well, if projected CD sales are low then how would it be a good marketing strategy to release the album commercially? If, however, projected CD sales are good enough (which I hope) then I would imagine that the album will get a commercial release (again, I hope so), I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. I suppose we'll just have to wait on some word regarding that in the near future

PostPosted:Thu Mar 19, 2009 0:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

One vital factor here is.....PROMOTION

The Hollies CAN still be a viable Commercial outfit IF they are PROPERLY PROMOTED....

MANY Hollies fans NEVER even knew "Out On The Road" even existed or had been issued overseas in 1973....!

some of their finest seventies albums like "Another Night", "Write On" & "Russian Roulette" were not properly promoted in the UK...

Yet "Hollies Live Hits" made number 4 and "20 Golden Greats" hit number 2 in the UK in the later seventies....at a time when no singles were charting...thanks to TV Promotion...

"He Ain't Heavy" was re-issued....and SHOT to Number One in 1988 thanks to the PROMOTION of the Miller Lite TV commercial....
"The Woman I Love" DID chart in the UK in 1993....reaching number 42...

"Staying Power" was issued on the same week as Kinks frontman Ray Davies "Working Man's Cafe" solo album....Ray's poster was in most Record shops...Pink Floyd's Dave Gilmour's solo set was advertised on TV ! - those sets sold well....

MANY people even assumed The Hollies had DISBANDED after the Seventies....
PostPosted:Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:58 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 17:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Bravo, Gee. That is exacrly what I think. There are many Oldies acts out there and The Hollies always seemed to be the only ones who didnt promote their new stuff. I never understood why. The new album is just another case.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next