graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » London Marathon
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject: London Marathon
Banjo

Banjo

Does anybody know if Carl Wayne will take part in this year?
How about you in this forum, any runners?
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 17:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject:

Hi Gina im not personally running but my boss is, Eric Alston. He is raising money for imperial cancer research and the injured jockeys fund. Two very worthy charities who will be glad of the money. So far if he completes the marathon he stands to raise £21,500 Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 19:33 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Gina,

I doubt that Carl is running the marathon Question . He had to cut back substantially on the running after his operation in late 2002 Sad . I suspect he is probably running shorter distances now, but I haven't asked Carl or Helen (his PA) recently about this. So perhaps he is back to "full speed". That would be a good question for Questions and Answers on his website. Idea Just go to the "Interactive" page. In fact, if you don't ask that I think I will!

Bruce

PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 21:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hello Kim
I`m glad you mentioned that. That`s an amazing amout of money for good purposes Exclamation Laughing Could you please tell briefly how it works? The thing is, over here, eg. during the Hamburg marathon one or two organisations will try to collect money, partly by runners while they are on the course. For me that wouldn`t be such a good idea as I feel I`m in a competition (to get it right, I`m not more than an average hobbyrunner, but you prepare for it and try to see what`s in your limit). There are also (mostly shorter) charity runs, where parts of your registration fee go to a special project, but there is not such a big movement as it seems to be in London, where you as an individual runner try to find people to support „your“ charity organisation. So what I`m interested in, you said „if he completes the marathon, he stands to raise...“, is it a prerequisite for your boss to cross the finish line? How will he gather this big amount?
PostPosted:Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hello Bruce
so far Carl isn`t on the charity runners list, so you are probably right. He seems to be a „running junkie“, although reasonable, it must be hard to cut back then. „Questions and Answers“, it`s just done once or twice a year. I had asked Helen last year a question about Carl`s running and what I got was the invitation to join her mailing list, what I did, but quit that again after a while (I prefer to click the things I would like to see instead of being swamped by dozens of mails every day). The London Marathon will go in two weeks, and I`ll be part of it, so it would be just nice to know whether Carl will be there as well. Of course there is no chance to spot him, in case he takes part, he will depart from a different starting point. As I`ll be in the mass start (running number 55000 something), I`ll cross the starting line at least half an hour later than he would do. Ok, I`ll give Alan Coates a thought then, when passing the „Cutty Sark“ ship, he used to live at or near the pub in former years...
PostPosted:Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject:

Hi Gina i dont know how it exactly works out but you get sponsored so much for each mile so say if someone sponsored £200 per mile and you complete 9.5 miles then you would get £1900 from that person. Ill ask my boss the next time i see him how it works exactly.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 04, 2004 13:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks Kim,
meanwhile I also read a bit about it in the Internet, it`s such a great thing, I just couldn`t believe you can mobilize so many people to support your charity...wishing your boss a good run and that he`ll finish safely Exclamation
PostPosted:Sun Apr 04, 2004 18:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1