graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » The Grand National
Do you think the Grand National is cruel to horses?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject: The Grand National

Hi as the Grand National is coming up i was just wondering what everyones opinion is about the big race?
Maybe you think that horse racing is a cruel sport or maybe you have your own ideas about what is going to win the race.
I will be interested to see everyones opinion.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 30, 2004 19:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Kim Exclamation

I have seen lots of Horse races (on T.V.) The most famous one in Australia being The Melbourne Cup held the first Tuesday in November. I don't think that Horses suffer from being in a race, well they don't look like they are suffering anyway. Besides people have been racing Horses for centuries.

All The Best

Susie

Smile Razz
PostPosted:Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:24 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Kim
I would put my money on Phar Lap.
I think the horses love to race, I'm not a racing man so don't really know.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 31, 2004 21:19 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject:

Hi Susie and Anthony
I totally agree with horses DO NOT suffer whilst they are racing. The only reason i brouht the subject up is because theres always protests on National day for horse racing to be banned.

With me being an apprentice jockey i get to see what really happens behind the scenes, if horses didnt enjoy racing their respective owners/trainers would retire them. Also there are strict guidelines about whip use, you are not allowed to hit the horse with excessive force i.e a jockey is not allowed to use his whip above shoulder height and you are not allowed to hit a horse more than two times in ten strides.

I just wish that the protesters who usually know nothing about horse racing and sometimes even about horses would actually take the time and find out for themselves what it is like behind the scenes in racing.

P.S
Anthony im affraid to tell you Phar Lap isnt running in this years Grand National. I hope you havent lost too much money Lol

If anyone wants to lose their money on the race my tip is Amberleigh House which is trained by Ginger McCain famous for training Red Rum to 3 National wins. But as they say jockeys make the worst tipsters lol.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 01, 2004 19:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Kim,
Thanks for the tip, I agree some/most protesters have no idea of the facts of anything, and most have not seen soap and water for a while. Like lets protest about the environment and they drive an old vw with smoke and crap pouring out the back. I'm not saying they are all the same, I do agree we should protest about wrongs but find out the facts first.
Hope to read about you one day, world greatest Jockey and Hollies fan Miss Kim wins a record Grand Nationals.

PostPosted:Thu Apr 01, 2004 21:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well put Anthony Exclamation I couldn't have said that better myself. Kim and Anthony you are both right, people who protest should get the facts before doing so. Then again, these days some people would protest about anything, you name it and someone will protest about it.

I don't think horse racing is cruel and as I said in my previous post people have been racing horses for centuries. And Kim, good luck with your jockey apprenticeship hope you do well and become a professional jockey one day.

All The Best

Susie

Smile Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Anthony, you are right the best way to change things is to start by oneself, but I can`t see how to connect this view with the steeple chase.

Running is a natural thing for horses, but no horse would jump 30 fences on high speed over a four miles distance. Why are these rules concerning whipping etc. imposed ? Because otherwise these things would happen...
And the critics of the Grand National doesn´t have anything to do with having knowledge of horses or not, simply have a look at the newspapers. Although there have been several modifications during the history of the Aintree race to improve conditions/safety, the facts we’ve got from the 2003 race, supplied by Reuters and AP:

finishers: 14 out of 40 (one horse died, makes it 33 since 1945, not to count the injured horses/ riders), from the non finishers: 9 pulled up, 8 unseated their riders, 8 fell, 1 horse refused - speaks for itself, doesn`t it?

Kim, you surely love your job and the horses, and I think flat races on a reasonable distance are allright for welltrained horses, but I do understand those who show their objections towards this kind of „entertainment" and Susie, having things done for centuries desn`t necessarily mean they are good or shouldn`t be changed...
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject:

33 horses in the last 58 years is a great deal less than the horses that have died in flat races in the last 10 years or so. Those horses that are injured during the race are usually because they have burst blood vessels or because they have tendon injuries. Anyone who knows anything about horses would know that these kind of injuries arent serious and horses usually recover from burst blood vessels in 2-3 weeks and tendon injuries in 4-6 weeks, i think you would agree the healing time is a lot less of those of a human. I understand where you are coming from Gina but even though people wouldnt think it the Grand National is one of the saftest races around. More horses are injured whilst in flat races because of the hard ground this causes severe joint problems which causes the horses a great deal of pain.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Considering that the Grand National just takes place once a year, the fall out quote is pretty high, you can`t push away the facts, and it doesn`t become better just because it might be the same or even worse in flat races.

"More horses are injured whilst in flat races because of the hard ground this causes severe joint problems which causes the horses a great deal of pain". How does it fit with "if horses didnt enjoy racing their respective owners/trainers would retire them"?
You said you know it’s (too) hard ground and you race anyway, taking a possible injury in consideration, as it just might take a couple of weeks for the horses to recover...not convincing arguments in favor of this sports in my opinion.

What you mean by "I understand where you are coming from ..."?
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject:

Hi Gina i dont want to start an argument so lets leave it as you have your own views and i have mine.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 16:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Kim,
sounds reasonable Exclamation Smile
PostPosted:Fri Apr 02, 2004 17:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Congratulations Kim. Amberleigh House won. Laughing Laughing Laughing
PostPosted:Sat Apr 03, 2004 15:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject:

Hi i was just wondering did anyone follow my tip for the national. it won at 16-1, the only problem was we jockeys are not allowed to place bets Sad , but hopefully everyone should have won some money on the race.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 04, 2004 13:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hard luck, didn`t come to my mind you are not allowed to bet...hope you`ll get some thankful responses
PostPosted:Sun Apr 04, 2004 17:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

i.e a jockey is not allowed to use his whip above shoulder height and you are not allowed to hit a horse more than two times in ten strides.
Are you allowed to save them up for the last two furlongs Question Laughing
GordonJ
PostPosted:Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: