Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

the Address of The American Rock 'n'Roll Hall of Fame Foundation is:

1290 Avenue of The Americas
New York
N.Y. 10104

Two further points to consider re The Hollies are:

1) Their influence on other Artists via cover versions of songs recorded or composed by The Hollies:

Which includes:

The Everly Brothers - "Two Yanks in England" 1966 Album
The Monkees - I'll Be True To You (aka "Yes I Will") - 1966 album track
Gene Pitney - Bus Stop
Herman's Hermits - Bus Stop - 1966 album track
The Strangers (Australian band with John Farrar, of The Shadows) - Put Yourself in My Place
The Searchers - Have You Ever Loved Somebody - 1967 single
Paul & Barry Ryan -Have You ever Loved Somebody - 1967 single
Keith - Tell Me To My Face - USA Hit single
Cilla Black - The Air That I Breathe
The Shadows - He Ain't Heavy.../The Air That I Breathe (instrumentals)
Olivia Newton-John - The Air That I Breathe
Dan Fogelberg - He Ain't Heavy...
Neil Diamond - He Ain't Heavy...
The Righteous Brothers - He Ain't Heavy...
The Fortunes - Gasoline Alley Bred
Linda Ronstadt - Just One Look / I Can't Let Go
Simply Red - The Air That I Breathe
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - King Midas in Reverse (Live version)
Kate Melua - If The Lights Go Out

and others....

2) The Hollies musical standing is further reflected in the musicians / artists who have guested with the band

Examples:
Alan Hawkshaw (Shadows keyboardist) - Put Yourself in my Place - 1965
Jack Bruce (later of Cream) - After the Fox - 1966
Burt Bacharach - After the Fox - 1966
John Paul Jones (later of Led Zeppelin) - Don't Run and Hide - 1966
John "Mitch" Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience) - tracks on "Evolution" - 1967
Clem Cattini (Ex-Pirates/Tornados) - tracks on "Evolution" - 1967
Dougie Wright (Ex- John Barry Seven) - tracks on "Evolution" - 1967
Nicky Hopkins (Jeff Beck Group/Sessions) - Listen to Me - 1968
Alan Parker (Blue Mink/C.C.S.) - I Shall be Released - 1969
Elton John - He Ain't Heavy.../I Can't Tell The Bottom/Perfect Lady Housewife... - 1969-1970
Roger Coulam (Blue Mink) - Hey Willy - 1971
Madeline Bell (Blue Mink) - What A Life I've Led - 1971
Peter Robinson (Quatermass) - Slow Down/Won't You feel Good...- 1972
Jim Jewell (Gallagher & Lyle) - Look What Wev'e Got/ It's a Shame... 1971-1974
Duffy Power - Down On The Run - 1974
Tony Hymas (Jack Bruce Band) - I'm Down (& various other tracks)- 1974
Rod Argent (The Zombies/Argent) - Star 1976
Pete Wingfield - Boulder To Birmingham & various tracks 1976-1977
Sol Armafio (Osibisa) - Caracas - 1978
Gary Brooker (Procol Harum) - Harlequin - 1979
B.J.Wilson (Procol Harum) - Harlequin - 1979
John Miles - Carrie - 1981
Alan Jones (Shadows Bassist ) - Driver - 1981
Alan Tarney (Shadows Bassist, etc)- Somethin' Ain't Right - 1983
Mike Batt - If The Lights Go Out - 1980 & 1983
Rob Davis - Suspended Animation - 2006

and others....

Alan Parsons Produced "Boulder to Birmingham" in 1976

Paul & Linda McCartney loaned The Hollies their Moog Synth' for "Another Night" in 1975.

these are all signs of the Hollies standing in the Music Industry.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

It is amazing to think that all the Hollies that have been involved in their recording heyday are still alive: I mean from 1963 to 1990 - so including Coates and Stiles - who I assume played on the He Ain't Heavy re-issue.

Even forgetting about the drink and drug lifestyle, to get any business or work place lasting 45 years, with say 12 consistent employee, and not one of them has died must be a very rare thing indeed.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gee wrote:
EVERY Hollies fan should be pushing for this.....

JUST CONSIDER THESE POINTS......

Between 1963 and 1970 The Hollies MATCHED The Beatles in terms of the Actual Number of UK Hits with "Official" singles releases......
with Each Band achieving some 22 UK Hits apiece...

(The Hollies first single was issued in May 1963....while The Beatles first two singles were released in 1962)

In that period The Hollies had MORE UK chart hits than The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Manfred Mann and The Dave Clark Five...

The Hollies had TWICE as many UK hits than The Who, The Small Faces, The Animals, or The Searchers ...

The Hollies had THREE times as many UK chart hits as The Yardbirds, The Troggs or The Move....

....and MORE UK singles Chart hits than other Classic bands such as: The Moody Blues, The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic or Pink Floyd...

To Date The Hollies have had 32 UK hits....with 25 consecutive UK hit singles between 1963 and 1972...

...and 23 USA Chart entries (Both more Than The Dave Clark Five)

The Hollies have achieved a known figure of 302 separate International singles chart placings (some countries chart details remain outstanding at present),

The Hollies have had 62 International Album chart placings (including the recent CD/DVD set "The Dutch Collection")

Many Drummers...were influenced by Bobby Elliott...including Phil Collins, Gilson Lavis & Cozy Powell (who took up Drumming after hearing Bobby Elliott into "Here I Go Again")

The Hollies Original Bass & Drums Rhythm section was considered one of the VERY Best in the UK "Beat Boom" Era...

Many Guitarists were influence By Tony Hicks....
playing his Gibson...Vox phantom 12 string "Coffin shaped" guitar... ..Rickenbacker...Banjo....Guitar/sitar....Acoustic...Parker Fly Spanish guitar....etc - Eric Clapton praise Hicks intro to "The Air That I Breathe" saying he wished HE'D played it....

The Everly Brothers utilised 75% Hollies compositions for their 1966 album "Two Yanks in England" (with Hollie members help & Jimmy Page)

Graham Nash co-wrote a hit single "Annabella" for John Walker (of The Walker Brothers fame) ....

The Hollies own song "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" was a UK hit for both The Searchers and Paul & Barry Ryan

Photographer Karl Ferris says his Hollies "Evolution" psychedlic cover photo propmted Jimi Hendrix to ask him to do him a similar idea for the USA (Reprise) cover of "Are You Experienced ?"

The Late Pete Ham originally named his group Badfinger "The Iveys" in tribute to his favorite harmony vocal band....The Hollies.
(Ironically Terry Sylvester & Joey Molland of Badfinger being school friends in Liverpool)

The Hollies refined three part harmonies in popular music during the sixties....and in Allan Clarke, Graham Nash & Terry Sylvester had three famous & Very Distinctive vocalists...always very strongly supported by Tony Hicks Lower Harmony voice "uniting" The Hollies vocal sound....

The vocal harmony teams of Clarke-Hicks-Nash & Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester became world famous....and they both became Top composing teams providing many UK & Overseas Hollies hit singles & album tracks etc...

Messers Clarke, Nash, Hicks, Elliott, Sylvester & Mike Rickfors were EACH Accomplished songwriters in their own right too...while Bernie Calvert was a fine composer of mood music instrumentals...

The Hollies 1969 "Hollies Sing Dylan" album (UK No 3) was one of the VERY First...if not the FIRST...Full Tribute album devoted to one artist's songs....setting a now common trend...

The Hollies quickly spotted the songwriting abilities of : George Harrison, Paul Simon (Who thanked them for covering his song), Judee Sill, David Ackles, Emmylou Harris, Bruce Springsteen (who also thanked them)

In December 1965....when NOBODY else was covering George Harrison songs at all...
The Hollies duly put a George Harrison song ("If I Needed Someone") into the UK Top Twenty.... which Harrison himself was unable to do until 1969 ("Something")
...thus BOOSTING George Harrison's songwriting case within The Beatles in a positive manner (even if Harrison was unappreciative of this in 1965....note that he then got to open "Revolver" with THREE of his songs included)

The Hollies have assisted other Artists Recordings...from The Rolling Stones in 1963...to The Everlys in 1966...to The Society.....Blue Mink (70's)

The Hollies FIRST signed Reg Dwight (Elton John) to their Gralto Music Publishing Company in the late sixties...

Graham Nash sang on the Scaffold's number One hit "Lily The Pink" (1968) - which included a reference to The Hollies hit single "Jennifer Eccles"

Graham Nash played harmonica on Mike D'abo's solo album "Broken Rainbows" (among MANY other appearances for other artists since....)

Allan Clarke sang "Breakdown" for The Alan Parsons Project album, "I, Robot" (1977)

Terry Sylvester sang "To One In Paradise" on The Alan Parsons Project album "Tales of Mystery & Imagination" (1975)

Tony Hicks Produced the group "Taggert" self titled album on EMI in 1974.

The Hollies won an Ivor Novello Award for contribution to music in 1993

....and have been inducted into The Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2007.

So in terms of contributing to Music....having worldwide hits...selling records...influencing other artists....helping other artist both world famous (Stones, Everlys) or as new (Taggert)... championing (then) emerging new songwriters (George Harrison, Paul Simon, Judee Sill, David Ackles, Emmylou Harris, Bruce Springsteen) ....and others

plus Doing MUCH Charity work...notably for children (UK Variety Club 1965, "The Save Rave" 1968 & others....)....providing the Theme song for the "Find A family" UK TV Series re unattached children..."Find Me A Family" (1989)

...and donating a song to the World Wildlife Fund - "Wings" (1968) for a charity Album (along with The Beatles "Across The Universe")....

...and in "He Ain't Heavy...He's my Brother" providing a song that has been adopted as The New York Firefighters own "Theme song" after the Tragic events of 9/11....

...Just WHAT ELSE....do you need to do to be WORTHY of Getting Inducted....?????
As ALWAYS Geoff, you are SO right and put your point across so succinctly. Thank you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Some additional Hollies' songs recorded by others-

What's Wrong With The Way I live - The Twilights ( Australian 60s band)
Yes I Will - The Twilights
I've Been Wrong Before- the Buckinghams
PostPosted:Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: