graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » What about The Marmalade ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject: What about The Marmalade ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Hollies fans,

someone asked about ABBA. That's how I got the idea to ask you about another band, as well. I've discovered them one month ago.
I knew The Marmalade just with their biggest hit - The Beatles' song "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" (not one of their best ones, I think). Just because I did not partularly like it I forgot about The Marmalade until I heard the GREAT song "Reflections Of My Life" on the radio. From that moment on I became interested in that group and bought the double-CD "Reflections Of The Marmalade: The Anthology". I am completely enthusiastic about those CDs. CD 1 includes 24 of their Sixties recordings, CD 2 22 of their Seventies recordings. In an interesting booklet they also mention The Hollies being one of their heroes. And you can hear it in great songs and great vocals and absolutely nice harmony vocals. Does anybody know "The Ballad Of Cherry Flavor" ? A very nice folk song with overwhelmingly beautiful harmony vocals. And there are many pearls on that collection like "I See The Rain", "Butterfly" (not The Hollies song), "Rainbow", "Fight Say The Mighty", "Cousin Norman" and "Radancer". All those songs were no hits or minor hits and I think that they have deserved something better (like The Zombies). And "Ob-La-Di" certainly is NOT their best song. Sorry, Marmalade, for judging you just by a song I did not really like and that is not really yours.
For any Hollies fan who doesn't own a CD by The Marmalade, buy it and you won't regret it. The songs, melodies and harmony vocals get very close to The Hollies, the band we all love so very much. Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Apr 28, 2008 19:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Apparantly I See The Rain by The Marmalade was Jimi Hendrix's favourite song of 1968.I'm a big fan Benny and also love the song Baby Make It Soon.They were a great harmonies band,Dean Ford a wonderful vocalist and we all know that Junior Campbell went on to have hit singles and a great songwriting career.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 28, 2008 19:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Marmalade are absolutely great. Especially their recordings from 1969 onwards are great. I would recommend buying the "Rainbow" CD which features their complete recordings from 1969 to 1973 (or something like that).

@ benny
they had a couple of hits. I'm not even sure if Obladi is their biggest one. I think Reflections Of My Life was equally big. Radancer, Cousin Norman and Rainbow were also quite big hits.

And Dean Ford was a great singer. Maybe also one of my favorites! If some one has his solo album from the late 70s please let me know!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Marmalade are still touring on the nostalgia circuit. They are now fronted by Sandy Newman who has been their lead singer since 1973. Graham Knight on bass guitar is the only original member. Their last hit in the UK was Falling Apart At The Seams in the mid seventies.

I've seem them a few times at the Cambridge Corn Exchange and they had some great records in the late 60s, with Reflections Of My Life, Baby Make It Soon and Lovin Things three of my favourites.

PostPosted:Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi DistantLight,

I'm not sure how many hits The Marmalade had in Germany but I was quite surprised that I know so many 60s bands with many hits and The Marmalade only with this Beatles song. I have never heard any other song on the radio in Germany before until I heard "Reflections" on HR 1 for the very first time one month ago. I have never heard any other Marmalade song on the radio and I think this is a real shame.
It's like with The Hollies: They are much more often on the radio than The Marmalade because they had more hits but not often enough, I think. Great artists like The Hollies or The Marmalade should be on the radio more often.
The same happened with The Tremeloes. I just became interested in them when I heard a song that is not played on German radio too often "(Call Me) Number One". On radio they usually play "Here Comes My Baby", "Silence Is Golden" or "My Little Lady".
The Marmalade is definitely my discovery of the year while Marvin, Welch & Farrar was the one of 2007 (and I only have discovered them because of this forum. Thanks again Very Happy ).
PostPosted:Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, the Marmalade are great. And don't forget BLUE, the band formed by Hugh Nicholson (who replaced Junior Campbell for a short time in the early 70s). The 1973 debut album by BLUE is a classic; a must for Badfinger and Hollies fans.
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 13:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

yeah, the debut album of Blue is really good! I just bought it. Some songs on it were also recorded by the Marmalade. I far prefer the Marmalade versions because Dean Ford is a much better singer than Hugh Nicholson.
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 14:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

If you check out Terry Sylvester's 2CD Anthology "The Complete Works: 1969-1982" (Magic 3930048) you will see the songwriting credits for Hollies Songs; "Pull Down The Blind", "Mr.Heartbreaker", & "Pick Up The Pieces Again" are actually shown as "Sylvester-Ford"....and the composing credit for "Pick up the Pieces Again" on Terry's solo album "I Believe" was shown as Sylvester-Ford...

The "Ford" in question is Dean Ford of Marmalade....Dean cut a solo version of "Mr.Heartbreaker" on his EMI solo album "Dean Ford" issued in 1975 (EMI EMC 3079), Ford's version is credited to "Ford-Sylvester"
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 14:29 pm

Last edited by Gee on Mon Nov 23, 2009 18:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks, Geoff, for the list and the info.
I already wondered if "Mr. Heartbreaker" on the 3 CD set by Sanctuary Records was Terry's Hollies song. Seems so Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 15:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

There are several different Marmalade versions of Mr. Heartbreaker. A a very good demo version from the early '70s and a not so good one that appeared on one of their albums a couple of years later.

Great band though. And on that point a lot of Sylvester songs are credited with co-writers on his solo stuff but not on his Hollies stuff.
PostPosted:Sun May 04, 2008 10:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I See The Rain by The Marmalade,which incidently was a No 1 in The Netherlands,apparantly had Graham Nash contributing on the session,when they recorded it.
PostPosted:Sun May 04, 2008 12:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
yeah, the debut album of Blue is really good! I just bought it. Some songs on it were also recorded by the Marmalade. I far prefer the Marmalade versions because Dean Ford is a much better singer than Hugh Nicholson.

I disagree; the Blue versions are clearly superior, with immaculate production quality. The Marmalade versions are merely interesting demos, only released in recent years. Hugh Nicholson took the songs with him when he left and formed Blue. The band made a number of albums but their debut is the real keeper. They got the Badfinger/Marmalade/Hollies harmony vibe down perfectly on songs such as "Red Light Song", "Little Jody", and "Sunset Regret". A beautiful album.
PostPosted:Wed May 07, 2008 15:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I listen to the 60's channel on XM satellite radio all the time, and I also often listen to the oldies channels on local FM radio wherever I go.

I can assure everyone that "Reflections of my Life" is the only Marmalade song that's in the playing rotation of U.S. radio.

Check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NiN7ISW7E

Can anyone who knows the group give the background on the approximate recording date of this Youtube video?

(as an aside, I've always thought that this song would have been a natural for the Clarke/Sylvester/Hicks full-blown harmony treatment circa 1974. In a way, it's too bad that it became such a big hit - because that probably prevented the Hollies from covering it.)
PostPosted:Wed May 07, 2008 15:53 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Thu May 08, 2008 17:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Great video SpartyScott - I'd guess at 1970.

PostPosted:Wed May 07, 2008 21:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

You guess correctly John Truman.
PostPosted:Wed May 07, 2008 22:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic