graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

phoobingcamel wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
Of course, those two tracks are also available on the U.S. release of their 30th Anniversary triple disc.

Do you mean on http://www.amazon.com/30th-Anniversary-Collection-1963-1993-Hollies/dp/tracks/B000008GLH/ref=dp_tracks_all_2#disc_2? 'Coz they certainly aren't on there. To my knoweldge, they haven't actually been released on any official album.

Regarding the live album, indeed there was mention of this in 1991 and it's from this tour that I suppose this live version of Another Night was from. I do hope that any recordings from that tour do eventually see the light of day as there were many gems performed, such as I'll Be Your Baby Tonight, Please Please Me and Dance With Me. Bob told me that he felt that it was the best tour ever, which I certainly don't disagree with - it was amazing!

Oops, that's what I get for relying on memory instead of looking it up.

I was thinking of "The Woman I Love" and "Nothing Else But Love."

Sorry about that.
PostPosted:Fri May 30, 2008 19:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think I agree with the ever well-informed James about this. I would like to cross-check with the world's perhaps highest expertise work on this, done by our Australian friend, Chris Farrell. Maybe not that well-known book, but extremely comprehensive, every Hollies enjoying home should have one.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri May 30, 2008 19:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I thought Another Night was recorded in Germany? Purple Rain will be from the 1991 tour, and what a version that is!

It may well have been recorded in Germany, I don't know. I just know I saw them play it on the '91 UK tour. At that time Bob said that they'd taken a mobile studio on tour for recording some shows for the aforementioned live album. Perhaps they did so in Germany too? But when we listen to the caliber of Another Night and Purple Rain it's painful to think of what could locked away in the vaults! I would give anything to hear Dance With Me again Crying or Very sad

PostPosted:Sat May 31, 2008 13:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I will never understand why this live album was intended and then never released. The material can't be that bad because The Hollies are an excellent band and "Another Night" and "Purple Rain" sound great. So what's the reason for it ?

One question about "Dance With Me". Is it an own song by The Hollies (I don't know any official recording of that particular song) or is it a cover version of that Drifters song with the same name ?
PostPosted:Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
One question about "Dance With Me". Is it an own song by The Hollies (I don't know any official recording of that particular song) or is it a cover version of that Drifters song with the same name ?

Orleans is an American pop-rock band. "Dance With Me" was recorded in 1975 and became a huge hit for the band. Visit YOUTUBE to see the video.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:

Orleans is an American pop-rock band. "Dance With Me" was recorded in 1975 and became a huge hit for the band. Visit YOUTUBE to see the video.

Yep, a great song it is too. Allan, Tony and Alan did it acoustically (well, Tony was on electric mandolin) and it was one of the most sublime things I have ever heard - sends chills down my spine to this day even to think back!

PostPosted:Mon Jun 02, 2008 0:43 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
I will never understand why this live album was intended and then never released. The material can't be that bad because The Hollies are an excellent band and "Another Night" and "Purple Rain" sound great. So what's the reason for it ?

There were umpteen years in the '90's where a live audio recording (and I believe there even was talk of a video) was mentioned but nothing ever came of it. Why sit on this material even now? I know they've got a different lineup, but so what? Even a vintage collection of limited release CDs would be good, and I'd certainly pay for some of these oft-talked about concerts. I'm sure the market is there!

PostPosted:Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:03 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't really the market. Maybe, maybe not but they could do it as a fan club thing like CDRs or downloads.

Al Stewart's fan club has put out tons of stuff like that over the years and now you can just pay via paypal and download rarities. The variety is fascinating from unused live albums to soundboard recordings to simple home made recording of some of his very early songs. But Hollies live recordings might be complicated by having to pay outside songwriters for the hits and other band members who performed on the records etc.

Michael
PostPosted:Mon Jun 02, 2008 13:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:
James, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't really the market. Maybe, maybe not but they could do it as a fan club thing like CDRs or downloads.

Al Stewart's fan club has put out tons of stuff like that over the years and now you can just pay via paypal and download rarities. The variety is fascinating from unused live albums to soundboard recordings to simple home made recording of some of his very early songs. But Hollies live recordings might be complicated by having to pay outside songwriters for the hits and other band members who performed on the records etc.

Michael

Hi Michael - yeah, that was what I was meaning, a limited release fan club type of thing. I suppose the royalities issue would be quite a big hurdle though.

PostPosted:Mon Jun 02, 2008 16:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:

There were umpteen years in the '90's where a live audio recording (and I believe there even was talk of a video) was mentioned but nothing ever came of it. Why sit on this material even now? I know they've got a different lineup, but so what? Even a vintage collection of limited release CDs would be good, and I'd certainly pay for some of these oft-talked about concerts. I'm sure the market is there!

For a band with a 40+ year history, two rather unsatisfying live albums are all that we get? For a band that has always touted itself as being at its best on stage, there is scant proof of it. I personally would love something, anything from the band's peak hit years ('66-74) or even a show with the Carl Wayne lineup would be welcome but if anything sneaks out it will probably be in the form of a bootleg. Sad but true.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I agree. BUT the live albums 1976 and 1983 are not bad. Excellent concerts! Good to have them. "Just One Look" 1976 really rocks. There certainly can be heard an evolution of the band since 1963.
But it would be fine to have a live album with the Rickfors Hollies and Carl Wayne, of course. Carl Wayne was their front man for four years. And all we've got as a proof is "How Do I Survive". I saw them live in 2003 and it is Carl's right to have an album (even if it's not new material but live) with The Hollies released. It is his right because he definitely has a place in the history of The Hollies and it would be nice to have a proof.
And I also would like to have Rickfors era Hollies material live. Many on this forum who had the chance to experience this line-up wrote that they were excellent. And I want a proof (although I do believe it anyway Very Happy ). But it's part of The Hollies history and should be released.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Look What We've Got
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2