graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Look What We've Got » Naomi/2 Shadows
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject: Naomi/2 Shadows
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hello, I'm trying to locate a copy of Naomi/2 Shadows. If someone has a copy that they're willing to sell or trade please contact me. I've collected the Hollies since 1971 and have many rare and unusual items-records,photos,posters.clippings and have some signed records and programs and I feel sure that I have something that would be of interest.
Those independent and occasional Hollies releases of the late 80's and 90's are where my collection is lacking. They weren't issued in the US and the magazines I used to get to follow them like MM and NME no longer had anything on the Hollies. The importers would sometimes get them on special request but you had to know what to ask for because they didn't stock the Hollies. I wish the Hollies discography would go into more detail as for example all of the different mixes and releases on Coconut. It would also be nice to see a complete discographyof Allan Clarke, my next favorite Hollies lead singer. I've just gotten Reasons to Believe and the 45, Someone Else Will, and I had no idea these existed and I wonder what else is there?
PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi
These two tracks (Naomi/2 Shadows) are available on a four track CD " The air That I Breathe"(Opel Commercial) The track order is as follows 1: The air that I breathe 2: Another night( this is a live version recorded I think about 1991) 3:Naomi 4: Two Shadows

here is a link that will take you too Amazon.co.uk where currently there are 3 copies of this CD for sale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-that-breathe-Opel-commercial/dp/B000091T4E/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1209770539&sr=1-89

I hope this helps you
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 23:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yes. it does. Thank you very much.
PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 0:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

An interesting note to point out (undocumented so far as I know, unless I missed it) is that the versions on this CD are different to the ones released on 1990's Purple Rain single that was sold at concerts, especially Naomi with its completely different bass line and some different keyboard parts

PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 11:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I've always felt that being a Hollies fan that it seemed like I was the only one. So when you come across others and they are kind and helpful you really appreciate it.
Ray sent me the link to amazon(I had looked there but didn't see the specific songs) and Geoff has sent me an Allan Clarke discography which is very helpful. I'm also glad to know of the different versions of Naomi, which will keep me searching for the concert record, but at least I will be able to hear it as soon as the copy of the Opel commercial cd arrives. Thank you all for your help.
PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 12:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also have bought the "Opel Commercial" CD to have those two songs. Two months before I bought that one I bought the "Purple Rain" record on ebay. I was very glad and then came the shock when it arrived here. The post must have put an extremely heavy package onto my one (although there was a "Fragile" sign on it) and I almost cried holding this record in my hands broken into pieces.
It was the last time I bought a record on the Internet. From now on there will only be CDs for me.
Hope that you won't have to experience this shock, as well, dcpurcell.
PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 18:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

dcpurcel wrote

Quote:
My exerience has been the opposite. Over the past few months I've gotten 7 and 12 inch records of Shine Silently, Stand By Me, This is It among others, because of their B-sides and all of them have arrived from Europe in excellent shape. The only one I received damaged was a cd. It looked like an elephant had been tap dancing on it. I am really looking forward to hearing Naomi and 2 Shadows for the first time. It defies all logic what great music the Hollies put on B sides or went unreleased. How could Stand by Me not have been a hit?

I have split his original post into two. See the 2nd part under Write On/Ron Richards.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 19:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

No, I don't believe I misquoted him. I don't have the article but I distinctly recall him saying , among other things, that he was autocratic and made all the decisions and that he used the top session men. So while he didn't say he used them on every recording, in the context of the interview the implication was there and that was why I posed the question. I seem to remember that he produced another group-I want to say Freddie and the Dreamers.
PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 19:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject: Naomi/2 Shadows
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I received my copy of the Opel Commercial today and interesting is the best way to describe Naomi and 2 Shadows. Maybe they'll grow on me. The song I liked best is Another Night. It's a live version but not the one recorded in New Zealand in the 70's. My question is that it says it's a cut from a forthcoming album and I'm not aware of another live release. Does someone have any information on this?
PostPosted:Tue May 27, 2008 19:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff may be able to provide further information, but I believe they were planning a live release in the early-mid '90's. There was various rumours about shows being recorded/filmed which came to nothing unfortunately.

PostPosted:Tue May 27, 2008 20:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Of course, those two tracks are also available on the U.S. release of their 30th Anniversary triple disc.

That's got a bunch of hard to find tracks, although many of them have been subsequently released elsewhere on Hollies discs.
PostPosted:Tue May 27, 2008 20:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi dcpurcell,
it's quite interesting that you are asking quite the same questions I've asked one year ago.
I was also searching for those tracks and was a bit disappointed when I finally had them. I like many of their 1980s B-sides more like "You Gave Me Strength" and "For What It's Worth I'm Sorry" which are both excellent Hollies ballads.
Today I quite enjoy "Two Shadows". I think it's better than "Naomi". I grew on them. Maybe you will grow on them, too. But still I think that there are better "rarities".
And I also asked about this information that the song "Another Night " was taken from an upcoming live release. It was written to me that there was an intention of releasing a live album at the beginning of the 90s but it never was. Why the project was abandoned, I still don't know. It's a real shame because it would be great to have live material of The Hollies during the last decade with the original voice of Allan Clarke.
PostPosted:Wed May 28, 2008 20:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I'm fairly new to this and hadn't realized how much this is old territory for the rest of you. I agree that a live release from the Hollies of the 90's would be wonderful to have, especially if this version of Another Night is any indication. If the first version was speeded up and made more dynamic like this I'm sure it would have been a hit. I've read interviews with Allan Clarke and he describes a Hollies show as being 2 and a half to 3 hours long and filled with not only songs from their repertoire but also a wide range of cover songs. He mentioned that their show was way too long for them to be part of any packaged nostalgia shows. I think Purple Rain was from this era. I loved Tony Hicks guitar solo on it.
I like This Is It and Stand By Me but I agree they had some good b-sides too, I especially liked Laughter Turns To Tears. You gave me Strength is on the way and I should be able to listen to it for the first time along with Burn,Fire, Burn. Needless to say I'm looking forward to it. I listened to Baby Come Back and Hillsborough for the first time last week and was pleasantly surprised by how much I like Hillsborough. Baby Come Back is, I have to agree with another Forum member, not very good. Am I hearing things or is that Tony Hicks at the end saying that Baby's a cat? Am I allowed to say that a record is not very good? Whatever the case it's always good to hear a Hollies song for the first time. I just played Yesterday's Gone and I especially love the lead guitar work on it. As long as the Hollies keep on making music like that I'll keep following them.
PostPosted:Wed May 28, 2008 21:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Of course, those two tracks are also available on the U.S. release of their 30th Anniversary triple disc.

Do you mean on http://www.amazon.com/30th-Anniversary-Collection-1963-1993-Hollies/dp/tracks/B000008GLH/ref=dp_tracks_all_2#disc_2? 'Coz they certainly aren't on there. To my knoweldge, they haven't actually been released on any official album.

Regarding the live album, indeed there was mention of this in 1991 and it's from this tour that I suppose this live version of Another Night was from. I do hope that any recordings from that tour do eventually see the light of day as there were many gems performed, such as I'll Be Your Baby Tonight, Please Please Me and Dance With Me. Bob told me that he felt that it was the best tour ever, which I certainly don't disagree with - it was amazing!

PostPosted:Fri May 30, 2008 15:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I thought Another Night was recorded in Germany? Purple Rain will be from the 1991 tour, and what a version that is!

PostPosted:Fri May 30, 2008 16:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Look What We've Got
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2