graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Marianne Faithfull
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Marianne Faithfull
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I came across an excerpt of Paul McCartney's book Many Years From Now, in which he talks about Marianne Faithfull in one chapter. In one line only, he mentions that she went on a tour with the Hollies and had an affair with Allan. Is that true, and if not, how could Paul include such a thing in his book?

I'm sorry if I ruffle any feathers here by bringing this up. Here's the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=kkXNECitum0C&pg=PA215&dq=%22allan+clarke%22+marianne&sig=FyLgEfmmIvPDjuTzsnMhABFHglk
PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:12 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If it happened, and Macca is certain of his facts, there's no reason not to include it. That's what memoir books are - kiss and tell, so to speak.

We ARE talking about the 1960's, after all, and these sorts of things happened.

Of course, this just gives me one MORE reason to be envious of Allan Clarke!

And by the way, you'll notice that on the Long Road Home box set, there's a photo of blonde & blond, Marianne and Bobby laying on a blanket in the sunshine, with a nice bit of cleavage showing (fortunately, said cleavage belonged to Marianne and not to Bobby!). Perhaps that photo was taken during the aforementioned tour.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:35 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Maybe the relationship was prior to Allan marrying (1966?)

PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:23 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Beebs Post subject:

James Towill wrote:
Maybe the relationship was prior to Allan marrying (1966?)

Nope. Marianne herself writes about it in detail in her autobiography, Faithfull which was released in the 1990s, so it's not new information. It was in 1964 or 65, but she makes a point of stating that he was married at the time.

Sparty Scott is right...this was the 60s...and, let's face, these guys were married at 21 or 22? Lordy, can you imagine any kid today being ready for marriage and settling down at that age? AND touring with a rock band with women chasing after you all the time? AND being apart from your wife for weeks or months on end? AND having a woman who looks like Marianne Faithfull willing and available?

I'm not making excuses for infidelity, but the combination of all those unique factors almost makes the situation inevitable... Laughing

PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 13:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yeah Beebs, he really was 'Layin' to the Music' Wink Laughing

PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 15:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
If it happened, and Macca is certain of his facts, there's no reason not to include it. That's what memoir books are - kiss and tell, so to speak.

We ARE talking about the 1960's, after all, and these sorts of things happened.

Of course, this just gives me one MORE reason to be envious of Allan Clarke!

And by the way, you'll notice that on the Long Road Home box set, there's a photo of blonde & blond, Marianne and Bobby laying on a blanket in the sunshine, with a nice bit of cleavage showing (fortunately, said cleavage belonged to Marianne and not to Bobby!). Perhaps that photo was taken during the aforementioned tour.

These same things happen today ... only people aren't so discreet about them anymore! This gives me one MORE reason to be envious of Marianne Faithfull! With a man as gorgeous as Allan around, who wouldn't be tempted to well ... to put it delicately, play around? Wink

Now I have to get a copy of the Long Road Home box set, just to see all these wacky photos! Marianne lying on a blanket with Bobby, ... is she trying to make all us girls jealous? Because if she is, she's doing a very good job!

Quote:
Sparty Scott is right...this was the 60s...and, let's face, these guys were married at 21 or 22? Lordy, can you imagine any kid today being ready for marriage and settling down at that age? AND touring with a rock band with women chasing after you all the time? AND being apart from your wife for weeks or months on end? AND having a woman who looks like Marianne Faithfull willing and available?

I'm not making excuses for infidelity, but the combination of all those unique factors almost makes the situation inevitable...

You're right about that - I couldn't imagine getting married at 21 or 22, and I don't think any kid in the '60s was ready for such a thing, either. Throw in being in a rock band with women chasing you all the time, and being away from home for long periods of time, with a woman like Marianne with you, then you do have a recipe for infidelity. I knew about Marianne's association with the Rolling Stones and Gene Pitney, and about the infamous drug bust, so all that didn't phase me. I did think it was strange that in the realm of her many relationships, I never heard Allan's name crop up before, only Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, and Gene.

Coming from a religious convent school upbringing that she had, and then being thrust into a different world of rockers and rollers, drugs, alcohol, sex, all-night parites, and other mayhem, it was no surprise that she would give into these things so easily, and she was only 17 or 18 at the time, so you can't expect her to have known any better. I don't condone infidelity either, but in this case, I can understand how it all came about.

Like I said before, with a man like Allan, I might be tempted to do the same thing! Wink
PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 16:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:

That's too good, James! I hope Marianne enjoyed the time she spent with Allan. I didn't read her autobiography but, with a man like Allan, how could you go wrong? Wink
PostPosted:Tue Aug 28, 2007 18:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:

That's too good, James! I hope Marianne enjoyed the time she spent with Allan. I didn't read her autobiography but, with a man like Allan, how could you go wrong? Wink

I better not infer any other connotations in song titles or I'll get in trouble Laughing

I'll avoid a rare NZ B-side from the '80's for example... Very Happy

PostPosted:Tue Aug 28, 2007 19:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
I better not infer any other connotations in song titles or I'll get in trouble Laughing

I'll avoid a rare NZ B-side from the '80's for example... Very Happy

LOL! Very Happy You can send me the title in a pm, if you like! Laughing
PostPosted:Tue Aug 28, 2007 22:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

And Beebs...you pretty much know where I'm at on the subject of Allan's former lovers, lol!!

God save the Brucifer... Wink Wink

PostPosted:Fri Aug 31, 2007 16:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
And Beebs...you pretty much know where I'm at on the subject of Allan's former lovers, lol!!

I take it I shouldn't ask. Wink
PostPosted:Fri Aug 31, 2007 19:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Maybe Marianne was umbrella-ly challenged!

PostPosted:Fri Aug 31, 2007 21:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Maybe Marianne was umbrella-ly challenged!

Meaning she didn't keep things under cover?
PostPosted:Fri Aug 31, 2007 22:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Laughing No , what I simply mean't was maybe she was at a busstop and fell for the oldest chat up line in the book,"please share my umbrella".Was it a wet summer that year? Laughing

PostPosted:Sat Sep 01, 2007 0:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Good one, Paula! She shared more than an umbrella, though! Wink

It does rain a lot in England, so maybe ...

I won't elaborate further. This is a family board!
PostPosted:Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2