graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Two more Hollies CD album re-releases
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Got my copies today from Amazon UK. Oh, James, I must say that Another night is really fresh, too!
Burn fire burn is a nice song, I especially liked Allan's vocals on the song. Well done, Bobby!
And I have to compliment Geoff's liner notes, too!
Well worth the remix and the reissue.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 16, 2008 16:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I have bought "Hollies" on Friday. The sound is great. Good to have this reissue of my top 2 Hollies album. And I really like "Burn Fire Burn". It really rocks and has a nice middle part. I can't understand why it was left in the can. I wonder what other "diamonds" are in the archives. Hope they all will be released.
Yes, and thanks for those very interesting liner notes, Geoff. It could not have been better.
But I'm quite annoyed that I only can read the liner notes to "Another Night" and "Buddy Holly" by buying the EMI reissues. But I don't want to do that for the liner notes alone. The Magic Records issues of both records are good enough for me. But I really would like to read Geoff's liner notes.
Hope for more reissues. "Write On" probably is the next one (hopefully with another unreleased song). Although it would be fine to see my top 1 Hollies album "Out On The Road" finally released in top stereo quality by EMI with Geoff's liner notes. The album is superb and it has not yet been released the way it deserves to be. It's a faboulous album. So, EMI, we're waiting for it!!!!! (hope I'm not the only one)
PostPosted:Sat Apr 19, 2008 15:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
I have bought "Hollies" on Friday. The sound is great. Good to have this reissue of my top 2 Hollies album. And I really like "Burn Fire Burn". It really rocks and has a nice middle part. I can't understand why it was left in the can. I wonder what other "diamonds" are in the archives. Hope they all will be released.
Yes, and thanks for those very interesting liner notes, Geoff. It could not have been better.
I also got my copies of Hollies and Another Night this week. I'm being really disciplined and only listening to Hollies first of all for a while, as the two albums are totally new to me and I want to savour each one individually Wink .I'm blown away by Bobby's writing talents,Trans.......and Burn Fire Burn being two of my favorites. The more I listen to the 70's Hollies the more I appreciate just how fantastic Terry was . He was so much more than a very good replacement for Graham. He was a god send Cool Cool Cool .And yes Geoff's notes are AMAZING Razz Razz Razz . Many thanks to all involved........I'm having a BLAST!!!!!!!!

PostPosted:Sat Apr 19, 2008 17:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I have just ordered my copies of Hollies and Another Night from Amazon.Like yourself Paula,I have never experienced these albums before and am looking forward to receiving them.Can't wait to hear Burn Fire Burn as I have read great reviews about it on the forum.Seventies Hollies blow me away,it was a brilliant period for them,Their songwriting was so imaginative and the band were re-discovering the delights of rock and roll-big time.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

OK, Carrie Anne. I also wish this would be my first listening experience of those two albums. I will never forget my first listening to "Hollies" in its Magic Records release. I had found one of my two favourite Hollies albums then. IT'S GREAT!!! ENJOY EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!
PostPosted:Sun Apr 20, 2008 13:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Great re-release of possibly my favourite Hollies album, Hollies '74. Burn Fire Burn is cool interesting idea, pure catchy pop and a pretty imaginative Clarke vocal. The more I hear the man sing, the more there is too him. He finds yet another new voice for Mexico Gold.

I hope they keep 'em coming.

Michael
PostPosted:Sun Apr 20, 2008 17:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

MichealC wrote:
The more I hear the man sing, the more there is too him. He finds yet another new voice for Mexico Gold.

I hope they keep 'em coming.

Michael
You said it Micheal, my sentiments exactly Cool Cool Cool .

PostPosted:Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Benny Wrote.......

"OK, Carrie Anne. I also wish this would be my first listening experience of those two albums. I will never forget my first listening to "Hollies" in its Magic Records release. I had found one of my two favourite Hollies albums then. IT'S GREAT!!! ENJOY EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!"

Hi Benny,I received my copies of Another Night and Hollies from Amazon today and I was not dissappointed.Love both the albums with Hollies taking centre stage at the moment.Fav tracks on Hollies-Dont Let Me Down,Love Makes The World Go Round and Burn Fire Burn.It was great to hear Out On The Road with Allan on lead vocal,quite different from Mikael's version,and YES I DID ENJOY EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!! Cheers Carrie Anne.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 22, 2008 20:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thought you'd all like to see this review of the two recent remasters as featured in the June edition of Record Collector. A shame that the reviewer says some of the material is 'plain' and they use a photo of the lineup five years before these albums were cut!

PostPosted:Sun May 18, 2008 20:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for sharing this James Smile I was tempted to buy this issue just for the photo alone Wink even though Graham didn't participate on either album Laughing I thought it wasn't a bad review overall but I also didn't like the 'plain' comment Rolling Eyes Since when have the Hollies been plain Confused thanks again
PostPosted:Sun May 18, 2008 21:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

katdowl wrote:
Thanks for sharing this James Smile I was tempted to buy this issue just for the photo alone Wink even though Graham didn't participate on either album Laughing I thought it wasn't a bad review overall but I also didn't like the 'plain' comment Rolling Eyes Since when have the Hollies been plain Confused thanks again

This review is useless. Clarke had been out of the band less than 2 years, but the reviewer incorrectly says it was 3. "Hollies", their joyous reunion LP with Clarke, is clearly superior to "Another Night", yet the reviewer gives a better rating to the latter. Nonsense. The band was not trying to "recapture its glory days"; they weren't over! They were a contemporary, vital unit in 1974. "Hollies" is one of the band's best albums ever, with sassy rockers, lush ballads, and a good dose of humour. There's not a subpar track on it. The album deserves a 5 star rating. And what's with the vintage 1968 photo? This really is a waste of time. The Hollies have long gotten bad or mixed reviews in the UK for nearly everything, so this is nothing new. When a critic can't even get simple facts straight, then any opinions are irrelevant. It is not difficult to do some basic research on a band. This is an example of how careless critics can be.
PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 1:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hmmm, I don't like that review either. I have no problems with criticism against The Hollies but it must be fair and it must be explained. Just to write that one of their best albums (Hollies 1974) is plain is not understandable for me without a given reason. What does he mean ? If I'm left with that question then the review is good for the bin and nothing more.
THe songs are superb as Dennis already said. I know all of the Eagles records and I can't see any relation between one of my favourite tracks "Down On The Run" and Eagles songs. And if there would be a connection, what would be wrong about it ? And why doesn't the writer say a word about the perfect musicianship ? Allan's singing and the whole harmony vocals are unique. No word about it. The drumming and guitar sounds are as great as on any Hollies record. People should be reminded of that fact. No word about it.
If a review is just full of unconstructive criticism without given reasons and without a word about the perfection of the musicianship on the record the review is no good at all. Both albums are great. Hope EMI will release more of them.
Oh, yes, and it's good to have a photo of the 1967/68 line-up while the review is about albums of the post-Nash line-up. I think that says it all. Confused
PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 17:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I see no similarity between any recordings on these albums and those of the Eagles either. I really like Another Night, but I;d have to say that Hollies is more balanced and a cracker of an album.

PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 17:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I see no similarity between any recordings on these albums and those of the Eagles either. I really like Another Night, but I;d have to say that Hollies is more balanced and a cracker of an album.

The Hollies were doing three-part harmony long before The Eagles were. If anything, The Eagles were influenced by The Hollies. Ironic, then, that The Hollies did do a cover of an Eagles song, "Witchy Woman", which was so spot on that it was left in the can, along with the CSN-like acoustic version of "Magic Woman Touch". The Hollies rarely got credit for being so adaptable to the then-current sounds of the day.
PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 19:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3