graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Two more Hollies CD album re-releases
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just received an email to advise that HMV.com have posted my remasters - usually takes a few days to arrive from the Channel Islands - hopefully Monday or maybre even Saturday would be nice! Really looking forward to 'Hollies' in particular.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 09, 2008 21:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hmmmmmm.. I have another night pre-ordered from Amazon, and Hollies pre-ordered
from CDuniverse and now they are saying release date is May 13. Whats up with that? Question

PostPosted:Thu Apr 10, 2008 13:26 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Might be a later release date in the US?

PostPosted:Thu Apr 10, 2008 17:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I didn't think these were due for months yet! Just panic ordered Hollies ' 74.

James, will you let us know if Another Night is a big enough sonic improvement over the Magic records one to justify a double - dip?

Michael
PostPosted:Fri Apr 11, 2008 18:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Will do Michael. I'm suspecting there wont be a huge improvement - Magic really did a superb job with Another Night - can't be moaned about in any way!

PostPosted:Fri Apr 11, 2008 22:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Got both remasters in the post today from HMV.com. Once again, superb presentation and sleeve notes from Geoff Coles. Also nice to have the lyrics reproduced for these two releases. There isn't a huge sonic improvement with Another Night (over the Magic Records release anyway) but Hollies does sound much better than what I heard in the 1996 issue (and certainly the Magic reissue which sounded like it was in mono!).

As for the 'new' song, Burn Fire Burn, nice performance and good to have it in the public domain, but to be honest I'm not blown away by it. It's nowhere near the callibre of Tip Of The Iceberg, for example.

Many thanks to all involved in these releases - here's hoping there's more to come!

PostPosted:Sat Apr 12, 2008 20:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Post on a Saturday in Britain?
PostPosted:Sun Apr 13, 2008 14:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

We've always had post on a Saturday! It's a bit hit and miss when mail arrives these days, can be up to 1500 on occasion, but usually early on a Saturday 'cos the postman will have a footie match to attend no doubt...

PostPosted:Sun Apr 13, 2008 18:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Got both remasters in the post today from HMV.com. Once again, superb presentation and sleeve notes from Geoff Coles. Also nice to have the lyrics reproduced for these two releases. There isn't a huge sonic improvement with Another Night (over the Magic Records release anyway) but Hollies does sound much better than what I heard in the 1996 issue (and certainly the Magic reissue which sounded like it was in mono!).

As for the 'new' song, Burn Fire Burn, nice performance and good to have it in the public domain, but to be honest I'm not blown away by it. It's nowhere near the callibre of Tip Of The Iceberg, for example.

Many thanks to all involved in these releases - here's hoping there's more to come!

Speaking of "Tip of the Iceburg"; wasn't that another "hit that got away"? I am baffled as to why it was not released at the time. I think that would have gone onto the charts in the US.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 13, 2008 21:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Iceberg sure is a great song...these things will forever baffle us!

PostPosted:Mon Apr 14, 2008 15:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was in London during the weekend for the London Marathon. No I didnīt run, but my son did. My thoughts went also to Carl Wayne who I believe was a good marathon-runner.

On monday I went to HMV and bought the 2 new cd-releases, Hollies and Another night. Iīve been listening to them at least 5 times each today. (Iīm sure Iīve heard them more than 200 times before that)

The best with the albums is Geoffīs sleevenotes and that we got Burn fire burn released. The sleevenotes are superb. Thanks Geoff! Burn fire burn has an interestering opening but the melody is not so strong. I can understand that that the lads put it in a can at the time. But itīs good enough to release it now, nothing to be ashamed of. This goes especially for Bobby who wrote the song (why has it been said that it was Bernie..?)

When you compare the two albums the Hollies-album is outstanding as an excellent album. One of the groups best with a highlight like Donīt let me down. Just wonderful!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 15, 2008 20:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Bonus wrote:

The best with the albums is Geoffīs sleevenotes and that we got Burn fire burn released. The sleevenotes are superb. Thanks Geoff.

I've ordered mine from Amazon, so early next week hopefully Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Can't wait to listen to these albums for the FIRST time Shocked and Geoff's sleeve notes will be the icing on the cake Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Tue Apr 15, 2008 20:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bonus wrote:
One of the groups best with a highlight like Donīt let me down. Just wonderful!

I quite agree - I was listening to it on the way to work this morning. The remastering has brought out the beautiful tone of those 12-string acoustics even more. Absolutely stunning song.

PostPosted:Tue Apr 15, 2008 21:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bonus wrote:
I was in London during the weekend for the London Marathon. No I didnīt run, but my son did. My thoughts went also to Carl Wayne who I believe was a good marathon-runner.

On monday I went to HMV and bought the 2 new cd-releases, Hollies and Another night. Iīve been listening to them at least 5 times each today. (Iīm sure Iīve heard them more than 200 times before that)

The best with the albums is Geoffīs sleevenotes and that we got Burn fire burn released. The sleevenotes are superb. Thanks Geoff! Burn fire burn has an interestering opening but the melody is not so strong. I can understand that that the lads put it in a can at the time. But itīs good enough to release it now, nothing to be ashamed of. This goes especially for Bobby who wrote the song (why has it been said that it was Bernie..?)

When you compare the two albums the Hollies-album is outstanding as an excellent album. One of the groups best with a highlight like Donīt let me down. Just wonderful!

"Hollies" is definitely one of The Hollies' finest albums. US Epic issued "Don't Let Me Down" as a single, but they created a poor edit of the song, just as they butchered "Long Dark Road", which most likely would have charted higher than No. 26 had they left the long ending intact. The closing harmonies are what really make the track special.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I've heard a few butchered edits from various bands!

PostPosted:Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3