graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Favourite Hollies Singles
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject: Favourite Hollies Singles
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I could choose most of their back catalogue but three will do for now.One of my all time favourites is I Cant Let Go-Of course a Chip Taylor penned song.Allan Clarkes vocals are superb on this classic i love the chorus where on some of the german footage you can see Clarkey taking a short intake of breathe(cos its such a long chorus)and then smirking because he got through it brilliantly.A great energetically invigourating piece of guitar from Tony on his Gibson Ess335 wonderful sound,wonderful single.Next Gasoline Alley Bred my all time favourite song.I love the way that we are treated to an emotionally moving piece of guitar in the initial seconds of the masterpiece Tony on Gibson Ess335 again.Allans vocals and Terrys are heartfelt and beautiful and the rest of the band as tight as a rock.My last choice is The Baby another Chip Taylor song.Mikael Rickfors vocals are powerful and strong,Terry Sylvesters backing vocals incredible and the whole band just get into this number at full throttle.also with the exotic magical sound of Tony Hicks on Coral Sitar we have the perfect single.If we get a long enough thread going i might even name some more.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 04, 2008 19:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject: Re: Favourite Hollies Singles
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Carrie Anne wrote:
I could choose most of their back catalogue but three will do for now.One of my all time favourites is I Cant Let Go-Of course a Chip Taylor penned song.Allan Clarkes vocals are superb on this classic i love the chorus where on some of the german footage you can see Clarkey taking a short intake of breathe(cos its such a long chorus)and then smirking because he got through it brilliantly.A great energetically invigourating piece of guitar from Tony on his Gibson Ess335 wonderful sound,wonderful single.Next Gasoline Alley Bred my all time favourite song.I love the way that we are treated to an emotionally moving piece of guitar in the initial seconds of the masterpiece Tony on Gibson Ess335 again.Allans vocals and Terrys are heartfelt and beautiful and the rest of the band as tight as a rock.My last choice is The Baby another Chip Taylor song.Mikael Rickfors vocals are powerful and strong,Terry Sylvesters backing vocals incredible and the whole band just get into this number at full throttle.also with the exotic magical sound of Tony Hicks on Coral Sitar we have the perfect single.If we get a long enough thread going i might even name some more.

Hi Carrie Anne there are so many to choose from that I can't list all my favourites but I can't let go is definitely one of them. I just love everything about it how did Graham get that high note at the end of the chorus I don't know Laughing The beat club performance is amazing too and shows what a fantastic drummer Bobby is Cool I also noticed the intake of breath from Clarkey you can even here him giggling slightly and don't get me started on those clicking heels Laughing Another one of my favourite songs is I can't tell the bottom from the top which I think is way better than he ain't heavy. It was the very first song that made me a hollies fan those vocals are spine tingling Smile My third favourite does change a fair bit but at the moment its Curly Billy I just love those guitars!
PostPosted:Mon Feb 04, 2008 19:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I Can't Let Go
King Midas In Reverse
Listen To Me
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top
Curly Billy

I'd say that these are probably my favourites.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 04, 2008 20:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It's 'I Can't Let Go' for me as well.

That opening guitar intro makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 04, 2008 20:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My favourite Hollies songs in no particular order are as follows

Too Young To Be Married (always my No.1 song)
The Air That I Breathe
The Woman I Love
Long Cool Woman
Reunion Of The Heart
Stop In The Name Of Love
Jennifer Eccles
I Can't Let Go
Star
Hope
Suspended Animation
Boulder To Birmingham

PostPosted:Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

As well as the great singles that we all love my fav songs are as follows: Rain On The Window, Wings, Would You Believe, Love Is The Thing, Harlequin and It's In Every One Of Us. All of these make my skin tingle and make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, GREAT Very Happy .

PostPosted:Tue Feb 05, 2008 18:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Some more favs-Look Through Any Window,love the jangly guitar sound and Bobbys brilliant drums.On a Carousel wonderful, colourful guitar from Tony and last but not least I Cant Tell The Bottom From The Top excellent song with lots of feeling and passion sung exquisitely by Alan Clarke at his very best.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 05, 2008 21:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

1960s
1. I'm Alive
2. I Can't Let Go
3. Listen To Me
4. On A Carousel
5. Carrie-Anne
6. Do The Best You Can
7. Pay You Back With Interest (US only release)
8. Dear Eloise
9. Bus Stop
10. Very Last Day (Sweden, Germany release)

1970s
1. The Baby
2. Magic Woman Touch
3. Long Dark Road
4. Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
5. Gasoline Alley Bred
6. Son of A Rotten Gambler
7. He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (charted in early 1970 in the US)
8. Hey Willy
9. The Air That I Breathe
10. Survival of The Fittest (US only release)
PostPosted:Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:09 am

Last edited by Dennis on Wed Feb 06, 2008 16:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

My top three singles - 1. Stop Stpo Stop. This was the first Hollies song that took my complete attention in 1966 and turned me into a life long fan. The sound of the banjo , the vocal hooks and the harmony singing all was mesmerising.
2. Magic Woman Touch. Rickfors' new lead vocal sound and the vocal countermelodies stood out plus the rhythm guitar sound.
3. I Can't Let Go. A great Clarke vocal to a pulsating song
PostPosted:Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

That should read Stop Stop Stop
PostPosted:Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

1. Bus Stop - the song that made me a fan Very Happy
2. He Ain't Heavy - one of the most beautiful songs ever and one of the hardest to sing (and noone did an equal great job as Allan did on that song; Neil Diamond's version is not half that good)
3. The Baby - best song from a great time wher Mikael brought a new spirit into the band: great harmony vocals; great lead vocals by Mikael; Tony's sitar sounds great and Bobby's drums are very powerful on that song
(4. It's In Everyone Of Us - one of the most beautiful songs ever and The Hollies recorded the best version of that song; although it was not a single it should have been)
PostPosted:Wed Feb 06, 2008 16:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:

(4. It's In Everyone Of Us - one of the most beautiful songs ever and The Hollies recorded the best version of that song; although it was not a single it should have been)
Yes, a recently discovered song for me. The opening of the song has Allan Clarke at his awe inspiring best. Mesmerizing Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Wed Feb 06, 2008 18:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well the forum has spoken and listed all their favourite Hollies tracks.Its interesting to see the choices with a few rarer numbers in there as well.I hope the boys take note and when they organise their next set list they follow suit with a few of THE FANS FAVOURITES which do include some album tracks.Oh! By the way Rob, Whats your fav Hollies track and why?
PostPosted:Fri Feb 08, 2008 18:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
1. Bus Stop - the song that made me a fan Very Happy
2. He Ain't Heavy - one of the most beautiful songs ever and one of the hardest to sing (and noone did an equal great job as Allan did on that song; Neil Diamond's version is not half that good)
3. The Baby - best song from a great time wher Mikael brought a new spirit into the band: great harmony vocals; great lead vocals by Mikael; Tony's sitar sounds great and Bobby's drums are very powerful on that song

But somebody else DID do an equally great job as Allan did; Mikael Rickfors. Check out "The Midnight Special" 1973 DVD for proof.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 08, 2008 20:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I totally agree, Dennis. Mikael's version of "He Ain't Heavy" on "The Midnight Special" is awe-inspiring. Allan's is the classic version, but Mikael's is just as good.

PostPosted:Sat Feb 09, 2008 14:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next