graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » The Hollies- Never a Rock Band!
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject: The Hollies- Never a Rock Band!
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi i'm a newbie on the forum so apologies if i do any thing wrong.At the moment i'm listening to the Out On The Road Album-absolutely brilliant-sounds better every time i hear it.My favorite Hollies period is the seventies with the likes of Confessions Of The Mind,Distant Light,Romany and the above album showing the band as a musically,acomplished rock and roll outfit.Mikael Rickfors had the ultimate rock vocals so unique and powerful they just blew you away adding to this a wonderfully,underated guitar wizard AKA Tony Hicks and the rest of the A Team you had the perfect rock combo.It always amazes me that Rickfors was only with them for 18 months or so and just two albums but thats record companies for you.So when i heard an interview with Tony Hicks on a norweigan radio station saying that The Hollies had never been a rock and roll band and would never profess to be i had to dissagree with him.Ok he probably feels like this now years later but when i have seen footage of this period he seems to be having the time of his life and living the rock dream.Sorry for going off on one with it being my first post and all-Bye for Now-Carrie Anne-Also apologies for using the word ROCK five times.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 29, 2008 15:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

The great thing about this forum is the varied opinions from the varied fans. The Hollies could certainly rock it as many of their songs show (Russian Roulette, 48 Hour Parole, Trans-Atlantic Westbound Jet, Out On the Road, Crocodile Woman and more). But they were more than that and that adds to their attraction for me. Their verstility meant they could sing soft love songs and great ballads too. Almost every album shows it and I think that is one of the reasons The Hollies appeal to 50 somethings like me and a younger audience too. Welcome to the forum.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I totally agree with you that The Hollies are very versatile in a musical sense with their love songs and power balads which i love.It was just those comments that Tony made was like those times had never existed and i think if Rickfors had been allowed to stay with them the band would have moved in a more rock orientated direction.Thanks for the welcome.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Funny one of the Hollies biggest world wide hits was a rock and Roll number "Long Cool Woman" I have always loved the Hollies rock numbers like Daddy Don't mind, Curly Billy, LCW. I only wished they recorded more rock and roll songs.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:18 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Hollies were professional in many musical areas and great musicians, singers and composers with a distinctive harmony vocal sound. That's why I love them.

I'm not all too surprised about Tony's comment The Hollies not being a rock'n'roll band because I always had the impression that the members of The Hollies could show more pride about their work in public. They have made great songs they never played in public. "Confessions Of The Mind" is a masterpiece which shows their versatility in one single song that deserves to be played in concert. As far as I know they never did. A good starting point for showing their pride in public about their work could be to play more from their great albums. Paul McCartney does it, Clapton does it, and especially Elton John plays many non-hit album tracks during one concert. Why don't The Hollies do it ? By doing it they could show that The Hollies are many things in one, a rock'n'roll band, a ballad band. a country band, a reggae band, a pop band and a beat band. On many of their tracks they showed that they were great in all those musical areas.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 13:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Funny one of the Hollies biggest world wide hits was a rock and Roll number "Long Cool Woman" I have always loved the Hollies rock numbers like Daddy Don't mind, Curly Billy, LCW. I only wished they recorded more rock and roll songs.
Yes, it is only in recent months that I have learned to appreciate these rock songs,I now love them. I wish there had have been more.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 21:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The current lineup, and that with Wayne certainly seems to have abandoned album tracks (or at least in the case of Howarth and co any that aren't from Staying Power). With Clarke we were treated to such beauties as Not That Way At All (b-side) and Don't Let Me Down et al.

Maybe something which could be reinstated in time?

PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 21:56 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

At least one positive thing with the current lineup is they have brought in hits into the setlist that have not been played live for many years such as Hey Willy and Curly Billy. I think however they should include less numbers from the Staying Power album as in my opinion I feel they are pale in comparison to album tracks like Don't let me down and Not That Way At All. I also hope Running Through The Night gets on to future setlists again that was one of my favourites when I saw them in 1999. Who knows what their next album will bring whenever that may be Wink
PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 22:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I know that Bobby and Tony decide on the contents of their gigs so i think that someone needs to have a word in their shell likes.Go on then Rob!
PostPosted:Thu Jan 31, 2008 23:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

katdowl wrote:
Hey Willy and Curly Billy

Why they weren't in the setlist with Clarke is a mystery, both lesser-known (by the majority of casual Hollies fans) but absolutely superb.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 01, 2008 16:38 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1