graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Where to purchase new He Ain't Heavy CD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Where to purchase new He Ain't Heavy CD
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Any ideas? Amazon is already sold out.
PostPosted:Fri Jan 04, 2008 21:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Direct from Magic Records? I've ordered before and they are very quick, but the French is a bit difficult to read! I've ordered mine via Amazon, and it's anticipated it will be a late January dispatch. HMV says it will be dispatched in three weeks, but they are famous for missed deadlines... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted:Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Direct from Magic Records? I've ordered before and they are very quick, but the French is a bit difficult to read! I've ordered mine via Amazon, and it's anticipated it will be a late January dispatch. HMV says it will be dispatched in three weeks, but they are famous for missed deadlines... Rolling Eyes

In the end I got sick of the wait and bought the disc from a guy on eBay - it arrived two days later! The bigger companies will be waiting for significant orders before buying in stocks and distributing, I suspect.

As for the disc, it is very good, nice to have those bonus tracks in one place. The two previously unreleased live tracks (Maybe I'll Settle Down and Sorry Suzanne) are taken from the Golders Green show, and are in mono but quite good quality although one can hear the inadequacies of the tape, as the high end comes and goes, presumably as the tape rotated!). The only thing I would have thought is why miss out Eleanor's Castle? Unlike Magic Records to miss a trick...

Whilst it's pretty basic, I prefer the album cover to that of the UK Hollies Sing Hollies, the latter probably being a candidate for the worst album cover of the band's entire career. It's also odd to hear the brilliance of He Ain't Heavy sandwiched between possibly two of the worst, most twee songs of the Sylvester era - Do You Believe In Love? and You Love Cos You Like It. I feel like vomitting at the mention of those two Laughing

PostPosted:Wed Jan 09, 2008 20:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
James Towill wrote:

In the end I got sick of the wait and bought the disc from a guy on eBay - it arrived two days later! The bigger companies will be waiting for significant orders before buying in stocks and distributing, I suspect.

As for the disc, it is very good, nice to have those bonus tracks in one place. The two previously unreleased live tracks (Maybe I'll Settle Down and Sorry Suzanne) are taken from the Golders Green show, and are in mono but quite good quality although one can hear the inadequacies of the tape, as the high end comes and goes, presumably as the tape rotated!). The only thing I would have thought is why miss out Eleanor's Castle? Unlike Magic Records to miss a trick...

Whilst it's pretty basic, I prefer the album cover to that of the UK Hollies Sing Hollies, the latter probably being a candidate for the worst album cover of the band's entire career. It's also odd to hear the brilliance of He Ain't Heavy sandwiched between possibly two of the worst, most twee songs of the Sylvester era - Do You Believe In Love? and You Love Cos You Like It. I feel like vomitting at the mention of those two Laughing

Sorry you don't enjoy those tracks. As for me, I think they are terrific, perfect for a singalong, as all of the best Hollies songs are made for. I love Hicks' guitar solo on "Do You Believe In Love". It's just simple pop music, and what is more enjoyable? This album is better in the US form, although I do miss the two great tracks left off the US edition, the anti-war "Soldiers Dilemna" (who says the band never had a point of view? I wonder what Nash thought about that song) and "Marigold/Gloria Swansong". The former has never had a US release to this day, while the latter showed up on the next US LP, "Moving Finger".
PostPosted:Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James Towill wrote:
James Towill wrote:

"Eleanor's Castle" is not on this CD because it was not recorded during the "Hollies Sing Hollies" sessions. On the "Rarities" LP is written: "In November 1969, when The Hollies cut this track at the start of sessions for the 'Confessions Of A Mind' album, they decided that the lyrics stepped over the borderline between fun and embarrassment. Nearly two decades later, 'Eleanor's Castle' is a wonderful period piece, a reminder of days when groups could rhyme 'castle' and 'hassle' without being batting an eyelid. Forget the words if you want; this cut also spotlights the Hollies' instrumental work, from Tony Hicks' ever challenging guitar technique to Bobby Elliott's ambitious percussion work."
I don't know whether Magic Records have released their version of a "Confessions Of The Mind" album (I have the EMI version on CD) but certainly "Eleanor's Castle" would be a bonus track on that particular CD.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 10, 2008 14:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
James Towill wrote:
James Towill wrote:

"Eleanor's Castle" is not on this CD because it was not recorded during the "Hollies Sing Hollies" sessions. On the "Rarities" LP is written: "In November 1969, when The Hollies cut this track at the start of sessions for the 'Confessions Of A Mind' album, they decided that the lyrics stepped over the borderline between fun and embarrassment. Nearly two decades later, 'Eleanor's Castle' is a wonderful period piece, a reminder of days when groups could rhyme 'castle' and 'hassle' without being batting an eyelid. Forget the words if you want; this cut also spotlights the Hollies' instrumental work, from Tony Hicks' ever challenging guitar technique to Bobby Elliott's ambitious percussion work."
I don't know whether Magic Records have released their version of a "Confessions Of The Mind" album (I have the EMI version on CD) but certainly "Eleanor's Castle" would be a bonus track on that particular CD.

Thanks Benny. Magic have released COTM, but the only bonus tracks are the A and B-sides of the 1970/71 singles. Rather odd for them to have missed this. Eleanor's Castle is certainly not as embarassing as the others I mentioned.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 10, 2008 16:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hmmm. Magic Records have left out a track ? That is very unusual indeed. I thought "Eleanor's Castle" would be on Magic's version of a COTM release. That is a shame because "Eleanor's Castle" is one of my favourite tracks on the "Rarities" LP.
PostPosted:Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just get the Magic version of Hollies Sing Hollies, and you'll get these bonus tracks:

Wings
Sorry Suzanne
Not That Way At All
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
'Cos You Like To Love Me
Louisiana Man
She Looked My Way
Eleanor's Castle
PostPosted:Fri Jan 11, 2008 13:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Just get the Magic version of Hollies Sing Hollies, and you'll get these bonus tracks:

Wings
Sorry Suzanne
Not That Way At All
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
'Cos You Like To Love Me
Louisiana Man
She Looked My Way
Eleanor's Castle

I don;t think I'll bother, would just have been nice to have everything in one place.

PostPosted:Fri Jan 11, 2008 16:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1