graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » POP BRITANNIA
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: POP BRITANNIA
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

BBC FOUR Friday night at 10:00 pm a new series" Pop Britannia"-the history of British pop music.I'll not be around but some of you Hollies fans might want to watch it and tell me if our beloved boys were mentioned Wink .Thanks Smile .

PostPosted:Thu Jan 03, 2008 0:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Calling KP, calling KP - are you going to record for distrubtion any segments on this series that feature the 60's and 70's music?
PostPosted:Thu Jan 03, 2008 14:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Calling KP, calling KP - are you going to record for distrubtion any segments on this series that feature the 60's and 70's music?
You read my mind Wink .

PostPosted:Thu Jan 03, 2008 20:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I'll see what I can do - but the trailers didn't look too promising!

PostPosted:Thu Jan 03, 2008 21:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

KP wrote:
I'll see what I can do - but the trailers didn't look too promising!
Ta Very Happy .

PostPosted:Thu Jan 03, 2008 23:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Episode One last night was about pre-Beatles rock music in Britain. It was fairly good but it was a bit too much sociology and too little music (I say that as a sociologist). Appropriately it was called Move It.

It had lots of interviewees including Cliff, Bruce, Hank, a searcher, a manfred, Gerry i.e. a pacemaker, 2 pirates, pete townshend, etc etc. So, maybe we will get a Hollie in the next episode. I thought I saw a brief colour clip of the Hollies in the trailer for the show but I could be wrong.

It's well researched, so, I don't know how they could possibly make a show about '60s pop music in Britain and not mention the Hollies. Then again, I won't be surprised if they find a way.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 05, 2008 13:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Sadly Michael, I think they will find a way to miss them.

These programmes tend to follow the views of the people making them: they cannot ignore the Beatles or Stones, but I bet it is almost all about the post 1967 flower power music, and the politics involved. They will give the impression that this played a big part in peoples lives then, wheras, in reality, it affected very few.

I was a lover of the new wave music of the 1976 -1978 period (although did not like Sex Pistols), but the way it is reported now, you would think it was the scene over those years: in fact it was more of a cult, and if you saw someone walking with that spiky hairstyle it would create a laugh - even amongst the young. Disco was far bigger right through to the early 80's, but nowadays you get the impression that disco dies in 1977 because of punk
PostPosted:Sat Jan 05, 2008 14:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I don't want to condemn it before I see it but I think there is a slightly skewed view on British pop history where the bands that became big in America and endured are taken to illustrate the pop scene in Britain. Hence, The Who and The Stones will get massive coverage in these things and The Hollies are relegated to the status of also rans whereas the Hollies probably dominated the airwaves more consistently in Britain at the time. Maybe not more so than the Stones, but certainly more than any other group outside of them and the Beatles is this fair?

What I mean is, it is somewhat incidental that British bands came to dominate world music when you are talking about the history of British pop music. British music and music in Britain, are perhaps, two seperate creatures.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 05, 2008 15:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

MichealC wrote:
Episode One last night was about pre-Beatles rock music in Britain. It was fairly good but it was a bit too much sociology and too little music (I say that as a sociologist). Appropriately it was called Move It.

It had lots of interviewees including Cliff, Bruce, Hank, a searcher, a manfred, Gerry i.e. a pacemaker, 2 pirates, pete townshend, etc etc. So, maybe we will get a Hollie in the next episode. I thought I saw a brief colour clip of the Hollies in the trailer for the show but I could be wrong.

I think the band in the colour clip that you might have seen was Herman Hermits. Maybe they might be focusing on the British groups that cracked America during the 60s if this is the case then unfortunately I won't be surprised if lesser groups like Hermans Hermits, Gerry and the Pacemakers and Manfred Mann will feature but the hollies prob won't be as they didn't get a number one over there Rolling Eyes

I have noticed though that Top of the Pops true story is going to be shown again on BBC 4 which if I remember rightly does feature clarkey very briefly and the song stay in the background Smile
PostPosted:Sat Jan 05, 2008 17:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Exactly correct! It was the Hermit's I thought were The Hollies. I mistook Peter Noone for Allan Clarke. I think it was the hair.

Here was me thinking it might be that colour live stuff from the Bobby Gentry Show.

And incidentally, no Hollies music is featured in episode 2 of the series.
PostPosted:Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

katdowl wrote:

I have noticed though that Top of the Pops true story is going to be shown again on BBC 4 which if I remember rightly does feature clarkey very briefly and the song stay in the background Smile
When is this going to happen,Kat? Guess where I was last night? I was in Mathew Street in Liverpool,drinking in "the Grapes"pub Very Happy Very Happy .I'm so awestruck I can hardly speak Shocked .And can I say that the Liverpudlians are the friendliest of people Smile Smile .

PostPosted:Sun Jan 06, 2008 19:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
katdowl wrote:

When is this going to happen,Kat?

It's on this coming Monday at 8pm on BBC 4.

shootthebusstop wrote:
Guess where I was last night? I was in Mathew Street in Liverpool,drinking in "the Grapes"pub Very Happy Very Happy .I'm so awestruck I can hardly speak Shocked .And can I say that the Liverpudlians are the friendliest of people Smile Smile .

I was awestruck when I went and saw the famous wall a few months ago that shows all the bands that played at the Cavern and yes I did spot the hollies brick Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Jan 07, 2008 0:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

katdowl wrote:

I was awestruck when I went and saw the famous wall a few months ago that shows all the bands that played at the Cavern and yes I did spot the hollies brick Laughing
In the mock up" Mersey Beat "office (on the Beatles Story tour) I noticed the Hollies names on posters.On one they were appearing at The Royal Iris with, among others,the Searchers and on the other poster it was Gerry's Christmas Cracker and there were a whole host of acts.It was great to see where the Cavern was and imagine the Beatles and the Hollies and all the other great northern groups walking through the streets,playing in the clubs and socializing in the pubs.If I only could have gone back 46,47 yrs on Saturday night I would have been in heaven Cool .

PostPosted:Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

[quote="katdowl"]

It's on this coming Monday at 8pm on BBC 4.
Thanks for this ,I'll be watching Very Happy .

PostPosted:Mon Jan 07, 2008 13:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Allan Clarke was on the TOTP show last night on BBC4, albeit for only about 15 seconds. I am not sure when it was recorded (2006 I think), but he looked amazingly well... far younger than in the 80's or 90's
PostPosted:Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:22 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2