graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Suggested Allan Clarke Anthology ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:
There was a Jagger Gretest Hits thing out here in the UK recently...

Quick; can you name any of Jagger's "hits"? I sure can't.

Yep, I was thinking the same, that one with Bowie 'Dancing In The Street' is the only non-Stones think that springs to mind!

Yes, that dreadful piece of dreck! The video was lousy, too, as I recall.
PostPosted:Wed Dec 12, 2007 18:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

What are the 1983 WEA recordings? I see that they're mentioned with Clarke's suggested anthology but have no idea what they are. Have they ever been released?
As for the Graham Nash anthology, I haven't seen a track listing but speaking strictly as a Hollies fan, would anyone recommend it? I have no interest in Nash's solo or CSNY stuff as a rule because in all of their cases their best work was already behind them when they formed CSN and I've concluded sometime ago that Nash is a pompous, pretentious hypocrite. He has a way of slipping the knife into the Hollies as he damns them with faint praise. He lost me forever when he ridiculed the Hollies for wearing white suits onstage when it was his idea to wear white suits.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 13:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

dcpurcell wrote:
What are the 1983 WEA recordings? I see that they're mentioned with Clarke's suggested anthology but have no idea what they are. Have they ever been released?
As for the Graham Nash anthology, I haven't seen a track listing but speaking strictly as a Hollies fan, would anyone recommend it? I have no interest in Nash's solo or CSNY stuff as a rule because in all of their cases their best work was already behind them when they formed CSN and I've concluded sometime ago that Nash is a pompous, pretentious hypocrite. He has a way of slipping the knife into the Hollies as he damns them with faint praise. He lost me forever when he ridiculed the Hollies for wearing white suits onstage when it was his idea to wear white suits.

WEA is the Warner Music Group, which encompasses Atlantic Records, who issued "What Goes Around..." in 1983. Allan Clarke is referring to the Nash reunion recordings.

Thank you, thank you, dcpurcell. I completely agree with your post. I, too, do not trust Graham Nash regarding anything to do with The Hollies. He has denigrated them in the past, and is sure to do it again in the future. I have expressed the same opinion about him here on this board and have felt quite alone. I, too, have NO interest in anything Nash has done outside of The Hollies, due to his ongoing relationship with David "I Am The Walrus" Crosby, who has filled his mind with a whole lot of twaddle over the years. I said it before and I'll say it again; you're only as good as the company you keep. And Nash has kept some very lowgrade company by being pals with "The Walrus". Don't count on Nash's anthology to be kind to The Hollies, either. My prediction is it'll most likely have a mere handful of tracks in the multi-disc box set, another jab at The Hollies' legacy.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 17:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
dcpurcell wrote:

WEA is the Warner Music Group, which encompasses Atlantic Records, who issued "What Goes Around..." in 1983. Allan Clarke is referring to the Nash reunion recordings.

Thank you, thank you, dcpurcell. I completely agree with your post. I, too, do not trust Graham Nash regarding anything to do with The Hollies. He has denigrated them in the past, and is sure to do it again in the future. I have expressed the same opinion about him here on this board and have felt quite alone. I, too, have NO interest in anything Nash has done outside of The Hollies, due to his ongoing relationship with David "I Am The Walrus" Crosby, who has filled his mind with a whole lot of twaddle over the years. I said it before and I'll say it again; you're only as good as the company you keep. And Nash has kept some very lowgrade company by being pals with "The Walrus". Don't count on Nash's anthology to be kind to The Hollies, either. My prediction is it'll most likely have a mere handful of tracks in the multi-disc box set, another jab at The Hollies' legacy.

It looks like some people didn't read the forum rules about bashing past and present band members. Evil or Very Mad

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 17:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I really didn't think of it as bashing, honestly. I would add that the Hollies might have a better chance of getting into the Rock Hall of Fame if he weren't quite so negative about them. Whether one agrees or not he is an opinion setter. :
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 18:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

If you said that about him a few years ago I would have totally agreed as I know he did used to dismiss the Hollies in America while in the UK he would not. However even he now has said that the Hollies have made him what he is and has come to realise how important his Hollies career was so I wouldn't call him a 'pompous pretentious hypocrite'.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 19:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

dcpurcell wrote:
I really didn't think of it as bashing, honestly. I would add that the Hollies might have a better chance of getting into the Rock Hall of Fame if he weren't quite so negative about them. Whether one agrees or not he is an opinion setter. :

Nash would talk the hind legs off a donkey in many interviews I've seen him in. Whilst I like some CSN material and a fair bit of his solo material, I do honestly believe that he has forgotten where he came from when I have heard some of the stuff he's said over the years.

PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 19:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I'm afraid that my opinion was based upon his interviews and his recordings. I can't apologize for forming an opinion. If, however, he releases a statement encouraging or endorsing the Hollies for the HOF I will apologize and play 8 bars of Marrakesh Express on the sousaphone on the White House lawn. Sometimes a single statement looks ok but in the context of the interview it's a slam I remember an interview with Bob Costas where he got Nash to grudgingly admit that the Hollies were a fine pop band yet it was very dismissive as if being a fine pop band was very trivial and silly.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 21:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

dcpurcell wrote:
I'm afraid that my opinion was based upon his interviews and his recordings. I can't apologize for forming an opinion. If, however, he releases a statement encouraging or endorsing the Hollies for the HOF I will apologize and play 8 bars of Marrakesh Express on the sousaphone on the White House lawn. Sometimes a single statement looks ok but in the context of the interview it's a slam I remember an interview with Bob Costas where he got Nash to grudgingly admit that the Hollies were a fine pop band yet it was very dismissive as if being a fine pop band was very trivial and silly.

The bottom line is that Nash has been erratic in his comments regarding The Hollies. I seriously doubt that he cares whether the band is in the R&R HOF or not. He's there and I'm sure that's all that matters to him.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 21:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Just a thought-If the Hollies had broken up after Nash left wouldn't they already be in the HOF. Doesn't the fact the Hollies sold more records after he left night have something to do with it.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 21:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Whether you like Graham Nash or not or agree with his comments or not he was a founder member of this great band and his wit, intelligence and talent CANNOT be dismissed. I think I speak for many when I say , enough of the Graham bashing and have some RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 21:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
Whether you like Graham Nash or not or agree with his comments or not he was a founder member of this great band and his wit, intelligence and talent CANNOT be dismissed. I think I speak for many when I say , enough of the Graham bashing and have some RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would give Graham 100% respect if he gave The Hollies 100% respect, which he has not. He could have had some class and given the band the credit they deserve, but instead has insisted on denegrating them through the years, sprinkled with some faint praise once in a while when it was convenient. I cannot abide by anyone's attempt, especially coming from an ex-member, to belittle the band's stature and place in Rock and Roll history.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 22:01 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Fri May 23, 2008 22:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject: Nash
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Can't a distinction be made between relating an unpleasant truth and mere bashing. I yield to no one in my respect for Nash's contributions to the Hollies but he said unpleasant things about the Hollies and projected a negative image of them which I believe has hurt the Hollies. Is this Old Russia? Can't we talk? Although it should be a closed subject as no one's mind will change.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 22:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

"You're only as good as the company you keep?"
What do you mean ? If you're talking about the creative output of Graham Nash this is nonsense. I haven't heard much about Nash in interviews and what he said about The Hollies. If he really doesn't remember his time with them and how they influenced him this is really an unfair behaviour but it doesn't make me dislike his music. Why ? When I'm listening to his music I don't think about him. His music is great. Anybody who likes The Hollies albums with him can't say that he doesn't like his solo and CSN material at all because there are many similarities. Just compare "Fifi The Flea" with "Lady Of The Island". And he recorded "King Midas In Reverse" and "Horses Through A Rainstorm" with CSN, as well.
I don't like "politics" and "music" being mixed up when an opinion about a person is formed. I don't know whether I like Graham or not but I like his music. And for liking his music I don't have to know much about him.
PostPosted:Sat May 24, 2008 9:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Can anyone explain what all this has got to do with the subject of this thread, Suggested Allan Clarke Anthology ?

Please get back on track or start a new thread.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Sat May 24, 2008 11:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 3 of 4