graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Suggested Allan Clarke Anthology ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carlane3 wrote:
Dennis wrote:
I'd be satisfied with a CD issue of "My Real Name Is 'arold" with the non-LP B-side "Coward By Name" added. I'm surprised it hasn't been issued anywhere.

An old friend from Germany sent me a cd of 'arold 2 years ago. Excellent sound quality. even had the front and back cover scanned for me, though in B&W. The RCA logo is see at the very right lower corner. It must be or have been out there at one time, official or unofficial issue. Alas, no bunus track, just straight album .

That is an obvious bootleg. Sorry to burst your bubble.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 16:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Dennis wrote:
carlane3 wrote:
Dennis wrote:
I'd be satisfied with a CD issue of "My Real Name Is 'arold" with the non-LP B-side "Coward By Name" added. I'm surprised it hasn't been issued anywhere.

An old friend from Germany sent me a cd of 'arold 2 years ago. Excellent sound quality. even had the front and back cover scanned for me, though in B&W. The RCA logo is see at the very right lower corner. It must be or have been out there at one time, official or unofficial issue. Alas, no bunus track, just straight album .

That is an obvious bootleg. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I had already figured it was at least "gray" area material, but nice sounding none the less....and considering the lack of an official release, I'm happy to have this for now.

PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 19:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
The trouble is Allan Clarke as a solo artist never really made much of an impact anywhere. In 1976, he scored a mid-charting single in the USA with "Shadow In The Street", but aside from that, nothing. Am I correct in assuming he had zilch record success in Europe? Yes, he recorded a number of solo albums but none of them had any real success apart from diehard Hollies fans buying them. So an ambitious project such as an Allan Clarke career overview is rather farfetched. His name alone is not a strong selling point.
And how do you bring Allan's solo work to the masses?You produce a cd as Geoff has suggested here.So you start by listening to the popular Hollies songs and then you are introduced to some solo work .This you listen to and realize how good it is,and then you go out and buy some solo Clarkey stuff.This is exactly how I've expanded my Hollies cd collection and tastes.I bought your fav Hollies collection,LRH Boxset and this got me really interested in the Hollies 70's stuff which I wasn't too fussed on as a teenager.It has enriched my whole Hollie experience and educated me so much.I think you forget that there are a load of quite young fans(errrr cough,me included Rolling Eyes )who are still learning about and discovering the band and we need cd collections like this to whet our appetites.And by the way Allan Clarke is the most underrated singer of the 60's and 70's Very Happy .

PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 20:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
Dennis wrote:
The trouble is Allan Clarke as a solo artist never really made much of an impact anywhere. In 1976, he scored a mid-charting single in the USA with "Shadow In The Street", but aside from that, nothing. Am I correct in assuming he had zilch record success in Europe? Yes, he recorded a number of solo albums but none of them had any real success apart from diehard Hollies fans buying them. So an ambitious project such as an Allan Clarke career overview is rather farfetched. His name alone is not a strong selling point.
And how do you bring Allan's solo work to the masses?You produce a cd as Geoff has suggested here.So you start by listening to the popular Hollies songs and then you are introduced to some solo work .This you listen to and realize how good it is,and then you go out and buy some solo Clarkey stuff.This is exactly how I've expanded my Hollies cd collection and tastes.I bought your fav Hollies collection,LRH Boxset and this got me really interested in the Hollies 70's stuff which I wasn't too fussed on as a teenager.It has enriched my whole Hollie experience and educated me so much.I think you forget that there are a load of quite young fans(errrr cough,me included Rolling Eyes )who are still learning about and discovering the band and we need cd collections like this to whet our appetites.And by the way Allan Clarke is the most underrated singer of the 60's and 70's Very Happy .

I'm not denegrating Clarke as a singer or performer, but a 4 CD Box Set centering around Clarke as part of The Hollies and solo, as Geoff proposes, is wishful thinking at best. Clarke's name alone outside of The Hollies does not register with the general public, despite his handful of solo album projects. He attempted to kick-start a solo career on numerous occasions with various label affiliations, but it just didn't work out, no matter how you look at it. Those are the plain facts. Again, a CD release of his first and most significant solo album is much more reasonable and appealing, especially since it's never been reissued in any form since its release in 1972. That I'd buy, but not a box set. It reminds me of what Mick Jagger said about career-overview box sets; he doesn't like them because it's too much to have to take in at once. I agree completely.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 21:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I'm not denegrating Clarke as a singer or performer, but a 4 CD Box Set centering around Clarke as part of The Hollies and solo, as Geoff proposes, is wishful thinking at best. Clarke's name alone outside of The Hollies does not register with the general public, despite his handful of solo album projects. He attempted to kick-start a solo career on numerous occasions with various label affiliations, but it just didn't work out, no matter how you look at it. Those are the plain facts. Again, a CD release of his first and most significant solo album is much more reasonable and appealing, especially since it's never been reissued in any form since its release in 1972. That I'd buy, but not a box set. It reminds me of what Mick Jagger said about career-overview box sets; he doesn't like them because it's too much to have to take in at once. I agree completely.

What Geoff proposes isn't a lot to take in at once. It is a survey of Allan's work with items that fit the different stages of it and different types of ainging and instrumental styles. If it were going to be too much to take in at once, we could throw in every single song Allan wrote or sang on - and that would be overkill. Issuing a set like this is a way to get Allan's name out there. There are people who have heard it, but just aren't clear on where it fits. This would be a good way to introduce Allan to the general public, especially the young people who aren't all-too familiar with his work, and there isn't so much in this set that would amount too much for them to take in.

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 22:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Dennis wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
Dennis wrote:

What Geoff proposes isn't a lot to take in at once. It is a survey of Allan's work with items that fit the different stages of it and different types of ainging and instrumental styles. If it were going to be too much to take in at once, we could throw in every single song Allan wrote or sang on - and that would be overkill. Issuing a set like this is a way to get Allan's name out there. There are people who have heard it, but just aren't clear on where it fits. This would be a good way to introduce Allan to the general public, especially the young people who aren't all-too familiar with his work, and there isn't so much in this set that would amount too much for them to take in.

Here come the clarkies Laughing I think it would be too much if a boxset of just his solo stuff was proposed but as the list that Geoff suggested includes a lot of hollies material too, I think it would be a very good idea if something like this was released and would especially interest hollies fans who like his voice and are intrigued by what his solo material is like. If something like this came out I would personally have it on repeat Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 22:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

katdowl wrote:
Vrinda wrote:
Dennis wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Here come the clarkies Laughing I think it would be too much if a boxset of just his solo stuff was proposed but as the list that Geoff suggested includes a lot of hollies material too, I think it would be a very good idea if something like this was released and would especially interest hollies fans who like his voice and are intrigued by what his solo material is like. If something like this came out I would personally have it on repeat Laughing
Vrinda and Katdowl,it's nice to see the Clarkeys out in force Laughing .But Clarkeys or not I think we've made valid points in favour of the cd Very Happy .

PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 22:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

But there is also the problem of what this imaginary box set would be listed as; an "Allan Clarke" Box Set? A "Hollies" Box Set? or "Allan Clarke & The Hollies"? None of them sound right. So logistically, it would be a nightmare for a record label to assemble and market, assuming one would go along with it. With all the optimism I can muster, I just can't see it happening. As a longtime fan of The Hollies, I can't imagine that such a project would even be considered, especially when Clarke's solo work amounted to next to nothing in the way of commercial success. If Clarke had had a few hits on his own it would be a different story, but truth be told Clarke as a solo act doesn't carry any real weight. The imbalance is too great for The Hollies (group) and Allan Clarke (solo) to be put together as one.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
But there is also the problem of what this imaginary box set would be listed as; an "Allan Clarke" Box Set? A "Hollies" Box Set? or "Allan Clarke & The Hollies"? None of them sound right. So logistically, it would be a nightmare for a record label to assemble and market, assuming one would go along with it. With all the optimism I can muster, I just can't see it happening. As a longtime fan of The Hollies, I can't imagine that such a project would even be considered, especially when Clarke's solo work amounted to next to nothing in the way of commercial success. If Clarke had had a few hits on his own it would be a different story, but truth be told Clarke as a solo act doesn't carry any real weight. The imbalance is too great for The Hollies (group) and Allan Clarke (solo) to be put together as one.

Dennis,

You raise a valid point. As much as I'd like to see the box set come to fruition, fans must face the fact that record labels tend to balk at projects having little to no major impact on the record buying public. We'll just have to adapt a wait and see attitude.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
tas Post subject: addition

i personally would add brandenberg plaza, i think it shows clarkie's compassity to rock better than any other.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 17:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Dennis,

You raise a valid point. As much as I'd like to see the box set come to fruition, fans must face the fact that record labels tend to balk at projects having little to no major impact on the record buying public. We'll just have to adapt a wait and see attitude.

It's like having a Mick Jagger career-overview box set, with Jagger's solo work placed with The Rolling Stones' work from 4 decades. I'm certain of one person who wouldn't be pleased with such a box set: Keith Richards! (Come to think of it, Jagger himself wouldn't like it either!) Like Clarke solo, Jagger solo doesn't amount to much with the public.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 18:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

There was a Jagger Gretest Hits thing out here in the UK recently...

PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 19:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:

Quick; can you name any of Jagger's "hits"? I sure can't.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 21:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Dennis wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Aren't all of Allan Clarke's solo albums currently available on CD, except for the first one? Anyone with curiousity about them can pick those up easily. Having heard most of them already, even I am not interested. Exclamation But I would buy his debut from 1972 if it were released. "My Real Name is 'arold" is a good album and has excellent cover art. (Allan himself noted that probably the best thing about "...'arold" was the cover!). "Nature's Way of Saying Goodbye" would have been a good choice as a single, but unfortunately it was overlooked by both UK RCA and US Epic.
PostPosted:Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

Quick; can you name any of Jagger's "hits"? I sure can't.

Yep, I was thinking the same, that one with Bowie 'Dancing In The Street' is the only non-Stones think that springs to mind!

PostPosted:Wed Dec 12, 2007 17:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 2 of 4