graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Rare Rickors video, pre-Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Rare Rickors video, pre-Hollies
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Currently on YouTube is a brief snippet of Mikael Rickfors in his pre-Hollies days, presumably while a member of Bamboo, singing a song. Too bad the clip is so short.
Listed as "Musikprogram 1970-90-tal". (Sorry, I don't know how to do that linking stuff yet!)
There are also clips on YouTube of Rickfors performing at an ABBA tribute concert.
PostPosted:Mon May 19, 2008 20:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Blimey, he looks and sounds even more like Scott Walker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOw14uwHTfg

PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 6:50 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

He looks a bit like Justin Heywood as well.Agree with you though James he sounds so much like Scott Walker, they both have that rich,silky voice with lots of versatility within it.Great clip!!
PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 12:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Wow, he looks like he's not even out of high school. That is a YOUNG Rickfors.
PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 13:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Wow, he looks like he's not even out of high school. That is a YOUNG Rickfors.

He looks just like a British pop star of the late 1960s. Bear in mind that Rickfors was only 23 when he joined The Hollies.
PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 15:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Carrie Anne wrote:
He looks a bit like Justin Heywood as well.Agree with you though James he sounds so much like Scott Walker, they both have that rich,silky voice with lots of versatility within it.Great clip!!

Contrary to reports that Allan Clarke only had negative things to say about Rickfors, Clarke praised him years later, saying that with The Hollies, Rickfors was "picking up where Scott Walker left off". High praise, indeed, as Scott Walker was a tremendous singer back in those days, just like Rickfors. Again, I must emphasize what a thrill it was to witness The Hollies in concert with Rickfors.
PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 15:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

And I for one am so jealous Dennis.That must have been a wonderful experience-1973 wasn't it.All i have seen are the brilliant clips off You Tube where The Hollies perform Carrie Anne and Long,Dark Road with Mikeal.But talking about LDR I love the ending where Rickfors takes over the vocals then goes CRAZY on guitar-That is just mindblowing.I hope to see him soon in Sweden as the clips of his new stuff on You Tube seem really interesting and I also know that he performs some Hollies songs even now in his set.Love the guy,love his voice,an awesome talent!!
PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 16:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Carrie Anne wrote:

Contrary to reports that Allan Clarke only had negative things to say about Rickfors, Clarke praised him years later, saying that with The Hollies, Rickfors was "picking up where Scott Walker left off". High praise, indeed, as Scott Walker was a tremendous singer back in those days, just like Rickfors. Again, I must emphasize what a thrill it was to witness The Hollies in concert with Rickfors.

Did Clarke not produce a Scott Walker album?

PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 17:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Carrie Anne wrote:
And I for one am so jealous Dennis.That must have been a wonderful experience-1973 wasn't it.All i have seen are the brilliant clips off You Tube where The Hollies perform Carrie Anne and Long,Dark Road with Mikeal.But talking about LDR I love the ending where Rickfors takes over the vocals then goes CRAZY on guitar-That is just mindblowing.I hope to see him soon in Sweden as the clips of his new stuff on You Tube seem really interesting and I also know that he performs some Hollies songs even now in his set.Love the guy,love his voice,an awesome talent!!

It was November 22, 1972 when I saw The Hollies in concert. I am not kidding; every song was better than its recorded counterpart. Maybe it had something to do with being so used to Clarke's vocals and Ron Richards' production on the records, that the show was so jaw-dropping. It showed what the band could do onstage 'without a net' so to speak. This was of course before the synthesizer was brought into the act; instead it was a real organ and a real piano. Yes, the live "Long Dark Road" is simply amazing. Rickfors taking over at the end gives me the chills. It was this concert that sealed my fate as a lifelong Hollies fan.

I think Hollies fans were cheated when Clarke came back and the band never did "Long Dark Road" live with him. It would have been interesting to compare the two.

I posted a comment on Rickfors' website and he wrote me back. I complimented him on his talent. For his playing 5 different instruments onstage, as well as doing outstanding lead and harmony vocals, I think a compliment was definitely in order.
PostPosted:Wed May 21, 2008 0:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Carrie Anne wrote:

Did Clarke not produce a Scott Walker album?

No. The only record he produced on his own (to my knowledge) was the late '60s single "Bird Has Flown" (which Clarke also sings lead on) b/w "Breaking Down" by a Scottish group called The Societie. It was their only single release, on the Deram label. You can hear "Bird Has Flown" on YouTube.
PostPosted:Wed May 21, 2008 0:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Great memories Dennis.I would have loved to have seen Allan performing Long Dark Road live i bet he would have given a tremendous performance.I saw him with The Hollies in 1997 in Manchester and it was a memorable night with me discovering what an incredible guitarist Tony Hicks is and witnessing the greatest vocalist live.Mikael Rickfors was instrumental I think in paving a road to rock and roll for the band and did some fantastic stuff with them.Hopefully if I see him live this summer I can get into his interesting new material as well.
PostPosted:Wed May 21, 2008 9:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1