graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Let It Be & Magical Mystery Tour on DVD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

[quote="Vrinda"]
Quote:
This is not directed at you, Dennis, but your post reminded me of that whole incident.
Dennis,look again at what Vrinda wrote Rolling Eyes .

PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 13:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
The Beatles should be open to critical analysis like every other band, but too many fans just say everything was great and leave it at that. I disagree with giving The Beatles a free pass when it comes to the quality of their music. They recorded a great many wonderful things but also some that don't measure up.

Critical analysis is fine, but if it resorts to taking everything and ripping it apart, like some people do, than it's overblown. There were some morons on YouTube who started that commonplace, annoying Beatles vs. name-the-band-of-your-choice nonsense. Guess who the other band in this case was? Yes, you got it! And they were deliberating back and forth on the "I'm Alive" video. The problem there was that these idiots were only citing "I am the Walrus" in their rantings, stating that it was not a good song, and was overrated. I don't care for it that much, either, but it is not representative of the Beatles' entire body of work. These people went on to say that it was part of the Beatles' '70s material, and that their '7-0s material wasn't any good. (Last time I checked, these guys broke up in 1970 and had recorded no new material that year. "Let it Be" was reocorded the year before and released in 1970, but does not accurately represent the Beatles' '70s work, if there was any.) When I pointed that out, one woman responded, "That walrus rubbish was 1970," as if now that she's said so, it's law. Now, that does not change the facts any. It was released in 1967, unless there was a reissue later on, but for these people to rant on about it looked so silly, and it showed how little they knew about the Beatles. As for making the argument that the Hollies were better, it fell flat and made Hollies fans look bad. If you're going to be critical, know what you're talking about. This is not directed at you, Dennis, but your post reminded me of that whole incident.

I am not a bratty teenager who posts nonsense things on YouTube, so I take exception to your comment. I happen to be a knowledgeable music buff, in case you haven't noticed. The generation growing up now hears all the great music from the 60s and 70s second hand, so naturally they are going to be cynical. I think it is based on jealousy and envy of those of us who grew up with the greatest era of popular music. They want to think that the music of their generation is best, which of course it isn't.

And what about The Rolling Stones? The vast majority of their 1960s output is great, too, but there were occasional missteps, such as "We Love You". Not even The Beatles' presence in the studio, doing background vocals, could elevate this track into something worthwhile. "We Love You" was easily their worst A-side single of the '60s. Fortunately, London Records in the US had the good sense to push the flipside, "Dandelion" instead, which is definitely the better of the two tracks. Moral of the story: every band, no matter how great, can record a less-than-spectacular track on occasion.

I never said you were a bratty teenage posting comments on YouTube, and if you read my post to the very end, you would have seen that was not criticism of you. If you take offense at my comment, I can only imagine what else would get to you. In fact, I've seen some pretty nasty comments not only coming from bratty teens, but from people in their forties, including some Stones fans. These people think the Stones are better than everybody, and if you disagree, they come back at you with a barrage of foul language-laden posts. Those people I mentioned in my post were also people in their thirties to forties. The teenagers were next to none on the Hollies videos.

My point is that I think it's interesting to banter about regarding the classic music we all know and love. Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes regarding certain songs, and a free-form discussion on the merits of music is a healthy thing. It's not about unintelligent thought; it's about caring deeply about music as Art and discussing it with others. As for comparing this band to that band, that is a futile exercise, which I have no patience for. We have enough competition shoved down our throats in society as it is.
PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 20:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:

My point is that I think it's interesting to banter about regarding the classic music we all know and love. Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes regarding certain songs, and a free-form discussion on the merits of music is a healthy thing. It's not about unintelligent thought; it's about caring deeply about music as Art and discussing it with others. As for comparing this band to that band, that is a futile exercise, which I have no patience for. We have enough competition shoved down our throats in society as it is.
That's more like it Dennis Wink .

PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic