graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Let It Be & Magical Mystery Tour on DVD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Let It Be & Magical Mystery Tour on DVD
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

While in Russia last week, I was in a regular appliance store. Among the high-definition televisions, washing machines, vacuum cleaners, and suchlike, they had a section of DVD's.

Imagine my surprise when I found, in a discount section (at about $6 each), a DVD release of the Beatles "Let It Be" movie and, more surprising, one for the "Magical Mystery Tour" television show.

Naturally, I snapped them up.

The quality is about what I'd expect - sort of as if they'd been mastered from a high-quality VHS tape. Each DVD is actually smaller than a standard 4.7 GB disc, so we're clearly not talking about a high-end production.

I watched most of Let It Be and jumped around a bit watching Magical Mystery Tour. Clearly, the latter was an abomination and if it wasn't "THE BEATLES" making that show, it would have never been shown. It's a dreadful, boring, and bizarre piece of work. Obviously, I'm familiar with Let It Be, so there weren't surprises there except in that I hadn't seen the movie in about twenty years.

Completest that I am, I'm happy to have both discs - and if either are properly released in high quality video and audio, I'll buy them again. Even so, I'm glad that I have each release - finally.
PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Have never been able to bring myself to watch MMT Embarassed .I'd rather just watch that piece from the Rutles,at least there is humour there Laughing !

PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 14:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject: Re: Let It Be & Magical Mystery Tour on DVD
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
While in Russia last week

Sparty, does this mean there is news in the family?
PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 15:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Let It Be & Magical Mystery Tour on DVD
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

snowflake wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
While in Russia last week

Sparty, does this mean there is news in the family?

Snowflake, I'm pleased that you remember that I'm an adoptive dad (see my photo that appears next to all my posts for a shot of Number One Son, who is five years old and now thoroughly American (is that a good thing?).

And as you inferred, I now have a second son, Joseph Vasily. Joseph is my father-in-law's name, and Vasily was the lad's first name. Like we did with his big brother, we're making his original first name his new middle name, and came up with a new first name ourselves.

He turns 3 in January, and has to be the happiest little guy I've ever met. No photos are yet posted on our website space, so I can't link them here. But my favorite shot is him sitting in Red Square in front of St. Basil's Cathedral. St. Basil's is the huge church outside of the Kremlin walls, and is possibly the most-photographed building in all Russia - since it's outside of the Kremlin walls, it's always available for pictures. Basil, as I have learned, is the English equivalent of Vasily, so in a way the child is named after that cathedral.

I'll post some shots in a week or two, as soon as we get a few nice ones of the two boys together.

And before you ask, yes, this is the last adoption that will be taking place in my family!
PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 15:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Congratulations and best wishes to you all! Looking forward to the photos.

PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 16:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have tried to watch MMT a few times, always say it can't be that bad then after about 10 minutes, yes it is that bad.
Got a copy of Let It Be from ebay, not a bad copy really, not as good as an official one might be.

PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 20:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
I have tried to watch MMT a few times, always say it can't be that bad then after about 10 minutes, yes it is that bad.
Got a copy of Let It Be from ebay, not a bad copy really, not as good as an official one might be.

Frankly I'm no fan of either MMT or Let It Be. It's no wonder "Let It Be" has not shown up on DVD. It does not show the band in a very favorable light, with them struggling to get along with each other. There are some good songs, but also some duds, such as "One After 909" and "Dig A Pony". And Paul looks awful with a beard.
PostPosted:Wed Nov 07, 2007 17:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

THe MMT is an important part of the "Flower Power" Beatles (and "The Fool On The Hill" is a very nice video clip from it) and Psychedelia itself.
Let It Be is the only video where you can see them perform live after their final concert in1966. They don't look inspired, o.k.. But the live performances on the roof are brilliant. And sometimes you can see traces of the love that once existed between them in their faces when they play old material like "You Really Got A Hold On Me" during rehearsals. This film brings The Beatles' career to a full circle. It seems somehow, as if it ended where it started. After playing live they became artists in the studio to become live performers playing simpler songs in the end again. Even when they went solo the first albums of all four members sounded very simple and absolutely live. For those reasons alone the video is worth buying it. And there are some great songs like "Two Of Us", "Let It Be", "I've Got A Feeling", "The Long And Winding Road", "Get Back", "Don't Let Me Down" and "One After 909" (this song is the best clue for the circle I've written about before because it was written by Lennon/McCartney at the very beginning of their career; an early version of it can be heard on the 2-disc set "The Beatles Anthology, Volume 1").
It's great Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Nov 08, 2007 14:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

One After 909: "Move over once, move over twice, come on baby don't be cold as ice". Not exactly inspired lyrics. One of their early songs, and not one of their best by a long shot. Everybody's seen the rooftop sequence because it's the best thing in the film. The rest of the film is something of an endurance test, even if it is The Beatles.
MMT is much the same, despite the great songs.
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 17:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
One After 909: "Move over once, move over twice, come on baby don't be cold as ice". Not exactly inspired lyrics. One of their early songs, and not one of their best by a long shot. Everybody's seen the rooftop sequence because it's the best thing in the film. The rest of the film is something of an endurance test, even if it is The Beatles.

It's fun rock and roll, and nothing more. And George's guitar solo along with Billy Preston's piano make the song entertaining, at least to me.

And sure it's not one of their best - they did fail to release it in 1963, after all. But there's no shame in not being one of the Beatles' best, considering they have about 50 songs that are classics and recognized by almost everyone in the English-speaking world.
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 17:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:

It was one of their earlier compositions, before they become more proficient songwriters. It was written at a time when rock'n'roll and pop was comprised mainly of simple lyrics with end rhyme. The edited version on the Anthology track shows just what a rollicking number it could have been, had they put it together that way and released in 1963. It would have been a good asset to one of their early albums.
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 19:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Dennis wrote:

It's fun rock and roll, and nothing more. And George's guitar solo along with Billy Preston's piano make the song entertaining, at least to me.

And sure it's not one of their best - they did fail to release it in 1963, after all. But there's no shame in not being one of the Beatles' best, considering they have about 50 songs that are classics and recognized by almost everyone in the English-speaking world.

Still, it begs the question, why redo an old song from their early days that wasn't good enough to put out even back then? Beatles fans do get touchy about their group, but after all, they were only human. I love The Beatles as much as anyone, but it's better to be objective than just say everything The Beatles did was great, when it clearly wasn't. How about "You Know My Name"? That was a terrible track that should never have come out. I remember being rather aghast that such a poor track had The Beatles name attached to it. I think it's indicative of how the group was losing their way towards the end, making decisions that really should have been thought through more sensibly. My instinct tells me that if Brian Epstein had been alive during these times, he would have nixed some of these things that didn't show the group in a totally favorable light.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Still, it begs the question, why redo an old song from their early days that wasn't good enough to put out even back then? Beatles fans do get touchy about their group, but after all, they were only human. I love The Beatles as much as anyone, but it's better to be objective than just say everything The Beatles did was great, when it clearly wasn't. How about "You Know My Name"? That was a terrible track that should never have come out. I remember being rather aghast that such a poor track had The Beatles name attached to it. I think it's indicative of how the group was losing their way towards the end, making decisions that really should have been thought through more sensibly. My instinct tells me that if Brian Epstein had been alive during these times, he would have nixed some of these things that didn't show the group in a totally favorable light.

"One After 909" wasn't put out in 1963 because, according to the Anthology Vol. 1 liner notes - "they failed to achieve a an entirely satisfactory recording ... leaving the job unfinished and unissued." The story went that Paul didn'tt have his plectrum (guitar pick), and you can hear Neil Aspinall on the recording telling Paul that he didn't tell him to bring it. It goes on to say that the Beatles were performing the previous night at a ballroom in St. Helens outside of Liverpool, but on the morning of the recording session when "One After 909" was done, they were 200 miles south in London, doing a photo shoot for EMI, then the recording session in afternoon, and the next day they were back north in Manchester for a BBC radio appearance. In the midst of all this, Paul's guitar pick was forgotten, and he was plucking the guitar strings with his fingers- ouch! You can even hear him say that he couldn't do it, it was murder. So it wasn't that they didn't like the song or thought it was not good; they could not record a version they deemed suitable for release.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:20 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: "Everybody had a Hard Time...."(?)
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Late George Harrison said of the "Let it Be" film....

"....I Can't Bear To Look at it...."

...while NONE of "The Fab Four" bothered to attend the Film's Premier...
PostPosted:Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:24 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sat Dec 05, 2009 15:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Yes, I think like alot of people that the group lost their way after Brian died and they never fully recovered.I'm as big a Beatles fan as you can get but I think it was better that the band broke up when they did.I'm not at all keen on their final recordings.You can tell that the collaboration wasn't there anymore and the music suffered Crying or Very sad .(But that is only MY opinion!)

PostPosted:Sat Nov 10, 2007 13:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next