graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Staying Power....or not?
graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Jan 2004
Posts: 652
Location: Australia

Staying Power is a brilliant album and I love every track on it but my favourites are Suspended Animation, So Damn Beautiful, Hope, Shine On Me and Emotions.

_________________
Long live The Hollies, may they reign supreme for many more years to come.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 22, 2008 0:52 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 293

O.K., shootthebusstop,

that sounds a bit insulting. I am a real Hollies fan. I buy nearly everything that is realeased by them and it is not an easy job to do in Dortmund, Germany, believe me. And they are one of the artists I play the most at home (and I sometimes dream of being the singer in a Hollies cover band Very Happy ). The best group next to The Beatles.

I think everyone may have his own opinion and if you read more carefully my comment again, then you will find that I have not written that ALL tracks sound the same. I have written that there are some VERY GOOD tracks on this album and others that are not so good (I don't like "Break Me" and "Live It Up").
I just didn't find it very wise to sequence the album like this. "Shine On Me" and "Suspended Animation" are great songs, two of my favourites, but they lose their individuality being played one after the other because they have the same rhythm and this holiday-like good spirit quality. And don't get me wrong again: I REALLY LIKE THOSE SONGS! I just wouldn't have put them one after the other as track 5 & 6.
Another problem is that "Live It Up" and "Yesterday's Gone" are tracks 10 & 11. Another sequence problem. I just started to like "Yesterday's Gone" when I programmed my CD player on Shuffle. And you have to admit that both tracks are very similar in rhythm and tempo. But there is a difference because I think that "Yesterday's Gone" is a good track and "Live It Up" is not (but that's just my opinion). I didn't like them both played one after the other.
But all in all I really like that album. the single tracks on that album are great (at least most of them).
PostPosted:Tue Apr 22, 2008 13:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 928
Location: Dunfermline, Fife

It all comes down to what people interpret as being a) good and b) a fan in this thread. There is not a concrete definition of either. Personally, I disliked the album when it came out but my opinion has mellowed on two or three tracks over time and after hearing them live. To my ears, it definitely wont be a classic Hollies album and is probably one of their least played in my 99% complete collection. After 21 years out of the loop of making a regular studio album, I suppose there would be mistakes, but as they say 'you can't please everybody'.

_________________
The Last Wind... don't eat curries late at night
PostPosted:Tue Apr 22, 2008 15:19 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 486
Location: UK

benny-b-goode wrote:
O.K., shootthebusstop,

that sounds a bit insulting. I am a real Hollies fan. I buy nearly everything that is realeased by them and it is not an easy job to do in Dortmund, Germany, believe me. And they are one of the artists I play the most at home (and I sometimes dream of being the singer in a Hollies cover band Very Happy ). The best group next to The Beatles.

I think everyone may have his own opinion and if you read more carefully my comment again, then you will find that I have not written that ALL tracks sound the same. I have written that there are some VERY GOOD tracks on this album and others that are not so good (I don't like "Break Me" and "Live It Up").
I just didn't find it very wise to sequence the album like this. "Shine On Me" and "Suspended Animation" are great songs, two of my favourites, but they lose their individuality being played one after the other because they have the same rhythm and this holiday-like good spirit quality. And don't get me wrong again: I REALLY LIKE THOSE SONGS! I just wouldn't have put them one after the other as track 5 & 6.
Another problem is that "Live It Up" and "Yesterday's Gone" are tracks 10 & 11. Another sequence problem. I just started to like "Yesterday's Gone" when I programmed my CD player on Shuffle. And you have to admit that both tracks are very similar in rhythm and tempo. But there is a difference because I think that "Yesterday's Gone" is a good track and "Live It Up" is not (but that's just my opinion). I didn't like them both played one after the other.
But all in all I really like that album. the single tracks on that album are great (at least most of them).
My comments were NOT aimed at you. If I insulted you ,I apologize. I just think SOME people are overly harsh on the album without giving it some time and reflection. As I said before it does not hit the heights of the 60's and 70's but it is a good listen , in my opinion anyway. I don't want fans to be put off buying this album (as I nearly was) because of some overly negative comments. It's music and music is mean't to be enjoyed........and guess what? I enjoyed this album and will continue to do so Cool Very Happy .

_________________
I feel far from home and far from talented....
_________________
Paula
PostPosted:Tue Apr 22, 2008 21:52 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 928
Location: Dunfermline, Fife

shootthebusstop wrote:
I don't want fans to be put off buying this album (as I nearly was) because of some overly negative comments


Anyone would seriously be put off buying an album because of something mentioned on here? Blimey, everyone here is adult enough to make up their own minds!

Additionally, if negative comments put people off buying albums, the critics in this country must be responsible for a major loss of capital in the record industry! I read an absolutely scathing review of the new Asia album, 'Phoenix' (the first from the original lineup in over 20 years!) and the reality is that it is a well (largely self-)written, balanced and beautifully presented album. 99% of reviews and fan comments I've seen have been full of praise. It was binned in the magazine.

Moral of the story is make up your own minds. Any news on who and where this new material is going to be produced?

_________________
The Last Wind... don't eat curries late at night
PostPosted:Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:46 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 486
Location: UK

James Towill wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
I don't want fans to be put off buying this album (as I nearly was) because of some overly negative comments


Anyone would seriously be put off buying an album because of something mentioned on here? Blimey, everyone here is adult enough to make up their own minds!

Additionally, if negative comments put people off buying albums, the critics in this country must be responsible for a major loss of capital in the record industry! I read an absolutely scathing review of the new Asia album, 'Phoenix' (the first from the original lineup in over 20 years!) and the reality is that it is a well (largely self-)written, balanced and beautifully presented album. 99% of reviews and fan comments I've seen have been full of praise. It was binned in the magazine.

Moral of the story is make up your own minds. Any news on who and where this new material is going to be produced?
Yes, I know we are all adults here and quite capable of making up our own minds. But , if you are like me, and still in the process of buying a lot of past Hollies albums you think to yourself "will I buy what is tried and trusted or (possibly waste) my money on an album that has been hammered ,by some?". I don't know nearly as much about the Hollies and their records as I would like but I'm learning and I do actually take on board what is said on this forum!!!!!!!!

_________________
I feel far from home and far from talented....
_________________
Paula
PostPosted:Wed Apr 23, 2008 13:35 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 293

Oh, yes, I can see your point, shootthebusstop.
I am 28 years old and I have discovered The Hollies the same year Allan left the band in 2000. (Sometimes it annoys me because I would have liked to see The Hollies with the original Hollies voice. I never get the chance and started with Carl). But there certainly is much truth in James' statement that everyone has to discover The Hollies by him or herself in some way. I buy everything by the Hollies I can put my hands on (and don't already have). My collection is nearly complete. Then I comment on it if I want to and read the comments by others on matters of the band, the albums or singles. But it won't influence my taste at all. I have my own favourites and it is really exciting to see what others think. That's the purpose of a forum. But I will never change my mind by what someone is writing. Noone knows my taste better than I know it myself so I will buy the things I want to judge it afterwards on my own.
But I certainly see yourt point, as well. And thanks for your last post. It made me feel much better. I don't like it when people tell me on the forum that I'm not a real Hollies fan because I think I am and I'm proud of being a fan of a band I know that is so special and good and noone knows it here in my surrounding. That is a real shame but it gives me a feeling of having a special and valuable interest. And I have introduced others to the band who like The Hollies now, too. Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Apr 23, 2008 16:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 928
Location: Dunfermline, Fife

benny-b-goode wrote:
I don't like it when people tell me on the forum that I'm not a real Hollies fan


Hi Benny
I'm two years older than you and 'discovered' the band about 15 years ago, so I wasn't there during their peak period. No-one should tell you that you're a fan or not, again, it's hard to define. I would also state that I don't think being a fan necessarily means you automatically like all albums and all periods a band has had and salivate over everything they do. Bands make mistakes, they make - what seems to outsiders - poor judgements, they make poor business decisions, they make poor song choices...it only goes to prove they are human.

_________________
The Last Wind... don't eat curries late at night
PostPosted:Wed Apr 23, 2008 18:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 201
Location: Chester, UK

James Towill wrote:

I would also state that I don't think being a fan necessarily means you automatically like all albums and all periods a band has had and salivate over everything they do. Bands make mistakes, they make - what seems to outsiders - poor judgements, they make poor business decisions, they make poor song choices...it only goes to prove they are human.


I totally agree with this I don't think I've found any band that hasn't made some mistake in their career.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 23, 2008 18:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 486
Location: UK

benny-b-goode wrote:
And thanks for your last post. It made me feel much better. I don't like it when people tell me on the forum that I'm not a real Hollies fan because I think I am and I'm proud of being a fan of a band I know that is so special and good and noone knows it here in my surrounding. That is a real shame but it gives me a feeling of having a special and valuable interest. And I have introduced others to the band who like The Hollies now, too. Very Happy
I couldn't have put it better myself Very Happy . Being a Hollies fan is so special( and especially when you are the only one you know Crying or Very sad )That is why forum's like this are so important. I do agree with James and Kat that bands do make mistakes and we can't love everything they produce. I just think opinions can be given without making cutting remarks about the work of the present line -up. Remember they do log in sometimes!!!!!!!

_________________
I feel far from home and far from talented....
_________________
Paula
PostPosted:Wed Apr 23, 2008 21:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 293

It's great that members of The Hollies sometimes log in. This is no problem for me because I never have written anything bad about any line-up of The Hollies because every line-up was/is special, also the current one. Pete is a great singer (not just as a backup vocalist of the great Sir Cliff) and I enjoyed the concert at the Albert Hall very much. My family accompanied me to London and the concert and they were surprised that this band sounds so good. The old and the new stuff sounded equally great with the new line-up. Hope they will continue for a long time.
Long live The Hollies Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar


Bass Guitar
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 52
Location: Kentucky, USA

Yesterday's Gone is classic Hollies. Imagine the song with everything exactly the same except to replace the lead vocal with Allan Clarke. The same with Weakness.
I agree with those comments that the harmonies, especially Steve's, weren't prominent enough in the album. Hope is the only song that really brings out Steve at all and it leaves you wanting more. Whatever its faults it was great to have new Hollies songs again. There are 4 songs that I really like and that's about average for a Hollies album. Romany and 5317704 were the only albums where I liked every song.
PostPosted:Wed May 21, 2008 19:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic
   
graphic

graphic graphic
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
graphic graphic


KDM2 template v1.0.2 © jasidog.com
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
The time now is Fri Aug 17, 2018 20:57 pm. All times are GMT