graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Craig Plays McCartney - Check This Out
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
cliffpink Post subject: Craig Plays McCartney - Check This Out

Hi there All,
Thought you should check this new album out - its a real fantastic tribute and so I have included Craigs newsletter blurb so you can see how it happened - and its out now
keep on Hollying :O)

Man it's been a busy year and it's only February!

I have just produced my first covers album - "Beautiful Night - Craig plays McCartney" which features instrumental versions of 13 classic Paul McCartney songs.

The whole project was a challenge that will influence my playing and overall sound for years to come.

2008 has kicked off pretty well actually. I planned to play "live" shows this year and possibly tour towards 2009 and had demo-recorded enough material for another original album. But while out running one morning I was listening to a Paul McCartney CD and had an apithany, sorry to use rude language, but anyway, I thought that an instrumental album of Sir Pauls material would be fun for me and provide a challenge musically.

I approached M.P.L (Paul McCartney's company) who did not have a problem with my concept and I let the appropriate licensing agency know what I was working on. A very intense production schedule allowed me to produce the album in quite a short time frame, so it is a "fresh off the press" album with a pretty good feel.

I heard people say, when I was growing up, that certain events triggered memories such as "where were you when Kennedy got shot"? - Well I was in my pram, but now I know what people meant, having just waded through 30-odd-years of McCartney records to chose the 13 tracks I finally settled on for this album. It's amazing when I hear a song and instantly know what I was doing when it came out.

The album "Wings Over America" was big when I was still at school and my first memory of Wings was the video of "Silly Love Songs" played regularly on T.V. I'd just left school when "Back To the Egg" came out with the unforgettable "Rockestra Theme" played by a band of rock legends both in the studio and live for the "Rock for Kampuchea" concert organised by Paul McCartney.

So, after demoing a few ideas I finally came up with what is now on the final album. A selection of some of the best music ever.

It was fun putting it all together, using new gear, getting a different sound and finally playing all the bass lines I've admired for years. I used a Gibson Thunderbird bass, a Fender Stratocaster for most of the lead work (which I played through a Boss delay, Zoom multi-effects and Morley pedals) as well as acoustic and semi acoustic guitars to fill the gaps.

I hope you enjoy the album which was something I feel was worth doing and certainly the most fun I have had in a long, long time.

The release date is February 1, about noon through http://www.Amplifier.co.nz and it will be available on iTunes hopefully within a few weeks.

Also, please drop by my website - http://www.craigpayne.cathedral.co.nz for the latest news.

Kind regards

Craig Payne

PostPosted:Wed Feb 06, 2008 20:53 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1