graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » the story behind why didn't you believe ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject: the story behind why didn't you believe ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I found an interesting article from an old nme I'd purchased from ebay awhile back and in it mentions this about why didn't you believe from hollies sing hollies.

'The side one opener is a song allan and terry wrote together after taking their duty-free fags through the barrier at Ostend airport.

ALLAN: "We sat around waiting and we started talking about religion. I'm very deep about it and I can talk about it till the cows come home. So we got theorising about why people couldn't have done something when they saw Christ hanging on the cross and then we started to write a song there and then. We called it Why didn't you believe "?
PostPosted:Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the interesting post. It's good to get first hand information about a non-hit album track. To me it seems as if The Hollies don't talk too often about their album tracks. At least I know more about Beatles songs than about Hollies songs. The only thing I know for sure is that I LOVE many of their album tracks.

This particular song has an interesting topic many people who like to think about religion think about. It's one of those "Why didn't they do anything to stop it?" topics many people theorize about, as many people do with Elvis and why friends and family did not stop him from committing a slow suicide by taking all those drugs.
It's a good song from "Hollies Sing Hollies" although I must admit that there are much better songs on that album. "Marigold/Gloria Swansong" is so beautiful and it puts me into a dreaming mood. I love it and it's my favourite track from that album.
PostPosted:Sun Jan 27, 2008 13:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Thanks for the interesting post. It's good to get first hand information about a non-hit album track. To me it seems as if The Hollies don't talk too often about their album tracks. At least I know more about Beatles songs than about Hollies songs. The only thing I know for sure is that I LOVE many of their album tracks

I agree also they don't seem to play many album tracks live which I don't understand

benny-bgoode wrote:
This particular song has an interesting topic many people who like to think about religion think about. It's one of those "Why didn't they do anything to stop it?" topics many people theorize about, as many people do with Elvis and why friends and family did not stop him from committing a slow suicide by taking all those drugs.
It's a good song from "Hollies Sing Hollies" although I must admit that there are much better songs on that album. "Marigold/Gloria Swansong" is so beautiful and it puts me into a dreaming mood. I love it and it's my favourite track from that album.

One of my favourites is marigold/gloria swansong too on this album. Marigold is gorgeous does allan play guitar on this?
PostPosted:Sun Jan 27, 2008 15:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: the story behind why didn't you believe ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

katdowl wrote:
I found an interesting article from an old nme I'd purchased from ebay awhile back and in it mentions this about why didn't you believe from hollies sing hollies.

'The side one opener is a song allan and terry wrote together after taking their duty-free fags through the barrier at Ostend airport.

ALLAN: "We sat around waiting and we started talking about religion. I'm very deep about it and I can talk about it till the cows come home. So we got theorising about why people couldn't have done something when they saw Christ hanging on the cross and then we started to write a song there and then. We called it Why didn't you believe "?
Yes ,I have noticed ,in a few of the Hollies songs, that there is a Christian theme running through them . Not the most trendy of subjects for pop singers to write about (unless you are Sir Cliff!) but admiral. Whether you believe or not I think they were brave to write about what was important to them Smile .I like the story too as it is always interesting to discover the inspiration behind a song. My favourite Beatles book is "A Hard Day's Write (The Stories Behind Every Beatles' Song)" by Steve Turner. Absolutely fascinating stuff!!!!!! Now why doesn't some journalist take it upon him/ herself to interview the Hollies and get the stories behind their songs? Thanks for this really interesting thread, Kat Very Happy .

PostPosted:Sun Jan 27, 2008 22:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Re: the story behind why didn't you believe ?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
katdowl wrote:

Yes ,I have noticed ,in a few of the Hollies songs, that there is a Christian theme running through them . Not the most trendy of subjects for pop singers to write about (unless you are Sir Cliff!) but admiral. Whether you believe or not I think they were brave to write about what was important to them Smile .I like the story too as it is always interesting to discover the inspiration behind a song. My favourite Beatles book is "A Hard Day's Write (The Stories Behind Every Beatles' Song)" by Steve Turner. Absolutely fascinating stuff!!!!!! Now why doesn't some journalist take it upon him/ herself to interview the Hollies and get the stories behind their songs? Thanks for this really interesting thread, Kat Very Happy .

I was thinking the same thing. There are a lot of arguments and conjecture among Hollies fans as to story behind their songs. I thought, even if the guys don't want to do an autobiography or an authorized biography, why not a behind-the-scenes book on their songs. It's certainly doable. Then once such a book is published, we won't have any idiots aruging that "Carrie-Anne" wasn't written for Marianne Faithfull, or that the Hollies didn't record "Bus Stop" after Herman's Hermits swapped it with "No Milk Today." Just imagine all the fun, strange, and outrageous stories that are waiting to be told about the Hollies' songs!

I could always interview Allan! (all right Clarkey girls, don't all of you get so jealous!) Laughing

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Mon Jan 28, 2008 0:38 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject: Re: the story behind why didn't you believe ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

[quote="shootthebusstop"]
katdowl wrote:

Yes ,I have noticed ,in a few of the Hollies songs, that there is a Christian theme running through them . Not the most trendy of subjects for pop singers to write about (unless you are Sir Cliff!) but admiral. Whether you believe or not I think they were brave to write about what was important to them Smile .I like the story too as it is always interesting to discover the inspiration behind a song.

I agree that religion is not a trendy subject to write about but some of The Hollies' best recordings have religious topics. "Very Last Day", "Falling Calling" (from the great Hollies 1974 album) are two great examples.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Great song, brilliant bass line and hypnotic backing vocals W---H---Y. A real gem in the late '60s period.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 28, 2008 18:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:

I could always interview Allan! (all right Clarkey girls, don't all of you get so jealous!) Laughing
I think you might need a secretary to hold your tape recorder or take notes or bring you round with smelling salts Laughing Laughing .

PostPosted:Mon Jan 28, 2008 21:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Re: the story behind why didn't you believe ?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
Vrinda wrote:

I think you might need a secretary to hold your tape recorder or take notes or bring you round with smelling salts Laughing Laughing .

Now who's going to bring the secretary around?! Laughing

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Mon Jan 28, 2008 21:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
Vrinda wrote:

Now who's going to bring the secretary around?! Laughing
Allan, with a big sloppy kiss!!!!!!!!

PostPosted:Mon Jan 28, 2008 21:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: