graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Peter Howarth and Sir Cliff
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
paulgillingham Post subject: Peter Howarth and Sir Cliff

I saw Cliff Richard on This Morning on 10th December and noticed Peter was one of his backing singers. Has there or is there ever likely to be a conflict of interest and if so what would happen? In the past a certain other bass guitarist had the same conflict of interest but The Hollies came off best as the bassman chose Ciff and Ray Stiles has been a Hollie ever since.Personally I find it ironic that a 'backing s
singer 'has a better vocal range than the artist he is backing. What do others think?

Happy Christmas to all Hollies fans
from Paul
PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 14:53 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: Peter Howarth and Sir Cliff
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

paulgillingham wrote:
I saw Cliff Richard on This Morning on 10th December and noticed Peter was one of his backing singers. Has there or is there ever likely to be a conflict of interest and if so what would happen? In the past a certain other bass guitarist had the same conflict of interest but The Hollies came off best as the bassman chose Ciff and Ray Stiles has been a Hollie ever since.Personally I find it ironic that a 'backing s
singer 'has a better vocal range than the artist he is backing. What do others think?

Happy Christmas to all Hollies fans
from Paul
I must admit I find it quite strange that a Hollie is backing Cliff as the Hollies were so much bigger than Cliff in the 60's.It shows how things have changed.Couldn't imagine Clarkey ever backing anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted:Tue Dec 11, 2007 19:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Peter backing Cliff
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Peter has been backing Cliff since around 1988.

I don't know if there is a conflict of interest but I'm sure there is no harm is Peter continuing to work with the same person he has been for the last 20 or so years.

I do remember last year when Peter & Tony were giving radio interviews Peter said he had been asked to join The Hollies previously but contractually he couldn't take up the offer, whereas by 2004 he was able to join The Hollies. So maybe a deal was done which enabled Peter to continue to work with Cliff as well as be in The Hollies, I don't think it has caused any major problems so far.
PostPosted:Wed Dec 12, 2007 15:33 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Peter Howarth has a better vocal range than Cliff ? I CAN'T AGREE!
I love The Hollies and I love Cliff Richard.
Cliff is a superstar with a trademark voice like Tom Jones or Elvis has one. He is a superstar and you can't compare one single singer with a whole group and I would say that an artist with a musical history of 50 years and hits in every decade can't be compared to a singer who joined a supergroup three years ago. It would be unusual and ironic to see trademark voice Allan Clarke backing up Cliff but not Pete. Pete is a great vocalist but cannot be compared to Cliff or Allan. Pete is a great vocalist but his voice has not the same trademark quality as Cliff's or Allan's voice. I saw Cliff last year here in Germany and Pete was in the backing vocal group and it wasn't strange for me at all.
Sorry, but I can see no irony in a new singer of The Hollies with one album of tracks he sang on backing up a superstar with a musical legacy of 50 years and a voice that is so recognizable and unique. If you listen to albums like "Something's Goin' On" and "Rock'n'Roll Juvenile" then you can hear that Cliff's voice can be soft like silk and rock very hard and that he has an EXCELLENT vocal range.
But don't get me wrong. I love them both. I'm even more of a Hollies fan than of a Cliff fan but Cliff is a bigger star than Peter Howarth (who doesn't stand for The Hollies as a supergroup with their great musical legacy).
PostPosted:Fri Dec 14, 2007 16:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Earlier this year I saw Pete with Cliff north of Oslo. They sang duet on the Barry Gibb song Fields of gold and both were fabulous. When the Hollies started their spring tour of UK shortly after, Pete jumped off the Cliff tour. I then saw him fronting the Hollies in Nottingham. Once again a delight. The only thing I have to say about current Hollies shows is that the songs off staying power tend to come across better than the old hits. Only exception would be the new medley that Steve does in a remarkably good way. I think Tony should do Too young to be married in shows, by the way, to get more original Hollies feel to the current shows.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:32 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Peter was again backing Sir Cliff this afternoon, 17th December, on TV in the Alan Titchmarsh Christmas Show.

Terry
PostPosted:Mon Dec 17, 2007 17:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic