graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Suggested Allan Clarke Anthology ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Suggested Allan Clarke Anthology ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Only an idea....But if I were doing it I would make it a FOUR CD set....
with Two Discs devoted to his Two "Eras" in The Hollies Respectively, The Third Disc devoted to his solo career...plus a Fourth Disc of both Hollies & Solo Rarities to please all the Longtime Allan Clarke / Hollies fans & Collectors who so often seem to just get forgotten.....
....DON'T THEY....??? Confused

Now of course you CAN'T ever please everyone...!
"You Have Left OFF my very favorite Hollies song sung by Allan...!"
....is a typical fans bleat...
.....and indeed I assure you that I TOO can think of umpteen MORE of my own favorite Hollies songs I REALLY would like to see go on any such "Anthology" set... ! Laughing

BUT.... trying to focus on important "Clarke" & "Clarke Led Hollies" songs...both to Allan, The Hollies...and to please his many fans is never going to be an easy task at all...is it ?
- trying to fit around 30 years of tremendous work onto a handful of CD's is a rather thankless task anyway... Rolling Eyes

Remember too this is an "ALLAN CLARKE" Career overview....and NOT a "Hollies Greatest" or "Rarities" set ...
and I am assuming the 1983 WEA Recordings are still unobtainable ( ?)....whatever

Here is my overall idea - Some Tracks are included for very specific reasons, while I have NOT listed the Total Rarities to go on any "Disc Four" as there must be quite a few tracks none of us know of...
so just Assume that the "Disc Four" WOULD contain the rarer tracks, rare "Live" songs, and unissued material....

Disc One:
The Hollies: 1963 - 1971

1. Whole World Over - 1963 - Apparently the FIRST ever song Allan & Graham wrote
2.Just One Look - 1964 - First Smash Hit , Allan on Soaring High Harmony Vocal
3.You'll Be Mine - 1964 - First Released "Solo" Allan Clarke song Performance
4.Set Me Free - 1964 - Allan's early solo vocal & Harmonica showcase
5.I'm Alive - 1965 - Allan's First Number One Record
6.So Lonely - 1965 - Great Atmospheric song & Lead Vocal work by Allan
7.Sweet little Sixteen - 1966 - The Sixties Rock'n'Roller Clarke !
8.I Can't Let Go - 1966 - One of Allan's Greatest Ever Lead Vocals
9.Peculiar Situation - 1966 - One of his best "Song Stylist" Performances
10.Crusader - 1966 - Note the "Mature Wistful" young Clarke !
11.Heading For A Fall - 1967 - A "From the Heart" gem
12.Would You Believe ? - 1967 - Another "From the Heart" Classic !!
13.Try It - 1967 - The Psychedelic Allan Clarke note his (then their) Falsettos !
14.I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - 1969 - Terrific Lung Power..and Blues Harmonica work
15.He Ain't Heavy...He's My Brother - 1969 - His Most Famous performance....
16.My Life Is Over With You - 1969 - His "Soulfelt" feeling to his friends' departure...
17.I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top - 1970 - The Supreme Balladeer
18.Isn't it Nice ? - 1970 - His great song from the "Oh ! Flux!" show
19.Gasoline Alley Bred - 1970 - A Craftsman Seventies Lead Vocalist
20.Hey Willy - 1971 - A Terrific Powering Clarke Rocker...
21. Hold On - 1971 - A Great solo Song which briefly features his Falsetto range
22.Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - 1971 - His Classic USA Chart Topper

ALL Tracks in True Stereo.

Disc Two:
The Hollies: 1973 - 1993

1.Curly Billy - 1973 - Allan's comeback Hit for The Band
2.The Air That I Breathe - 1974 - His Other "Most Famous" Recording !
3.Don't Let Me Down - 1974 - A Quality ballard
4.Rubber Lucy - 1974 - A Classic Clarke Rock Number
5.I'm Down - 1974 - A Mature Clarke piece with Magnificent vocals
6.Sandy - 1974 - The Seventies Hollies classic Clarke made his own
7.You Gave Me Life - 1975- The "Powering Rocker" Clarke
8.Write On - 1976 - Classic Track From The Second Hollies "in House" Composers
9.Boulder To Birmingham - 1976 - An Epic Vocal Performance from all.
10. Russian Roulette - 1976 - A Blistering Pop/Rocker Track sees Clarke Excel
11.Writing On The wall - 1978 - Supreme Vocal & Harmonica Performance
12.Burn Out - 1978 - A Brilliant "Quickfire" Lead Vocalist performance
13.Satellite Three - 1979 - Top song and Lead Vocal from Allan Clarke
14.It's In Every One Of Us - 1979 - Magnificent Vocal ballard performance
15.Sanctuary - 1979 - Likewise as above !
16.Soldier's Song - 1980 - Stunning Lead Vocal performance by Allan Clarke
17.Too Many Hearts Get Broken - 1985 - A Top Quality Latter day Clarke Song
18.Laughter Turns To Tears - 1985 - Allan was Still A Classic Rockin' Vocalist
19.Find Me A Family - 1989 - Allan's heartfelt Theme Song For a special Cause show
20.The Woman I Love - 1993 - Allan's Final Hollies single (& A UK Chart Hit too !)

Disc Three :
The Solo Recordings : 1972 - 1990.

1.Ruby - 1972 - Opening Original Rocker From His First Solo album "'Arold"
2.Nature's Way of Saying Goodbye - 1972 - A Classic original from that first album
3.Complete Controllable Man - 1973 - The Rockin' Clarke & his band
4.Who ? - 1973 - A Stunning Sincere Clarke ballard
5. If I Were The Priest - 1974 - One of the First artists to spot Bruce Springsteen !
6.Born To Run - 1974 - Another Springsteen gem which deserved to Chart
7.I Wanna Sail Into Your life - 1974 - A Magnificent Vocal Performance and song
8..Blinded By The light - 1976 - A Third Springsteen classic cover
9..We've Got Time - 1976 - An inspired cover version
10.Living In love - 1976 - Top performance on a single that deserved to chart.
11.Breakdown - 1977 - The Alan Parsons Project - Superb Guest Vocal Appearance
12. I Wasn't Born Yesterday - 1978 - Original Title track of a Classic Solo Album
13.Shadow in The Street - 1978 - Deserved USA Solo single Hit for Allan
14.Light of My Smiles - 1978 - Another gem of a performance
15. Slipstream - 1980 - Terrific Pop/Rocker album track with Clarke in great form
16.The Only One - 1980 - Title Track of UK Album, another gem
17.Walls - 1980 - Quality original song and performance
18. Someone Else Will - 1982 Now Rare Single Track
19.Castles in The Air - 1982 - As Above
20. Caught in the Act - 1990 - Great Rockin' Track from Latest Solo Album To Date
21.Reasons To Believe in - 1990 - Great Near Album Title Track and single.

Disc Four:
Rare / Unissued Studio Tracks - Both The Hollies & Solo
Rare "Live" Versions
This Disc still to be Compiled as yet.....
Early Demos Pre-Hollies, Overseas tracks, Hollies Rare Tracks, Rare Non Album 'B' sides ,"Guest songs for others like: "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" , solo Rare tracks, plus "out takes" such as Allan Clarke's Original Vocal Demo of "Lullaby To Tim" etc.......

What do you think ? - I know many favorites are NOT on the listings (Mine Too !)....but I have tried to focus on EACH stage of Allan's long and Distinguised career both Group member and soloist....carefully looking at EACH style he has worked in....featuring the many types of music he performed, plus his underrated guitar & Harmonica work....his songwriting...covers of Artists he admires...and his Composing and Vocal harmony work with his close longtime Associates Messrs Graham Nash, Tony Hicks & Terry Sylvester

As I said It is NOT intended as a "Hollies Greatest" or "Rarites" set, but an Overview of Allan Clarke's Long Career.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 07, 2007 18:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Interesting idea, but I doubt that the current Hollies would be too crazy about a project that centers around an ex-member.

I don't want to suggest deleting anything, although I could certainly do so because clearly not all of these tracks are among my favorites.

But here are a couple of songs that I think should be included in such a release:

Two solo Clerke songs would have to be "Mary Skeffington" and "Light Brigade."

As for Hollies songs, I don't think you could go wrong with "I Thought of You Last Night," which is probably the Hollies' first "sensitive" ballad.

In "Look What We've Got," I've always thought that Allan emoted as effectively as he's ever done. And speaking of the Distant Light album, can any such compilation not include "Long Dark Road?"

You included only one song from the Dylan album. I'm not sure which one I'd choose if I could only pick one, but I'm pretty sure that I'll Be Your Baby Tonight would not be that choice.

And from an earlier album, "Man Without A Heart" is great stuff.

Now, if you want my advice about which tracks to delete in order to squeeze these songs in, just let me know and I'll dump the turkeys.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 07, 2007 19:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

As I said at the start of my post it's all a matter of opinions...hence my comment: "Oh you haven't included MY favorite...." line

Sure you could easily do another couple of CD's of OUR favorites (that is yours or mine) ....but are they as Pertinent to Allan Clarke ?

As for your suggestions , well two of the tracks you quote are "Hicks-Lynch" compositions...where as I was generally looking to feature Original Allan Clarke or at least Hollies Team compositions featuring Allan as composer ...on an "Allan Clarke Anthology"...

Remember Terry Sylvester sang "Slow Down Go Down" - Another "Hicks-Lynch" song....but it was NOT on Terry's "Complete Works" Anthology...was it ?

"You'll be Mine" was specifically written by them FOR Allan to do solo....with no vocal harmonies, which he did...for the FIRST time ever on a Hollies Recording...thus it does have an Historical importance for Allan... and although a nice ballard "I Thought of You last Night" was not actually co-written by Allan Clarke, thus I felt the solo Original track was more relevant, for Allan himself, on such a collection....

"I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" featured very a powerful Lead vocal, strident Blues Harmonica, plus very tight Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester Vocal Harmonies....they certainly rated the track very highly and featured it in their live show back then...
they even mimed to it in that 1969 Golders green BBC concert repeated recently....

It's all arguable of course.... I certainly also Love "Man Without A Heart"...however "Isn't it Nice ?"...which was not only a great song but was written by Allan Clarke & Terry Sylvester for the "Oh Flux !" show....thus was an important part of Allan Clarke's own past for a specific reason....

I don't think The Hollies recorded any "Turkeys" anyway....
PostPosted:Fri Dec 07, 2007 20:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff wrote:

I don't think The Hollies recorded any "Turkeys" anyway....

Ah, there we'll have to agree to disagree.

(by the way, is "turkey" strictly American slang?)
PostPosted:Fri Dec 07, 2007 20:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I would agree with Scott, you would have to put in Mary Skeffington, his is such a beautiful version.

PostPosted:Fri Dec 07, 2007 23:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: Suggested Allan Clarke Anthology ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff wrote:
with Two Discs devoted to his Two "Eras" in The Hollies Respectively, The Third Disc devoted to his solo career...plus a Fourth Disc of both Hollies & Solo Rarities to please all the Longtime Allan Clarke / Hollies fans & Collectors who so often seem to just get forgotten.....

.....and indeed I assure you that I TOO can think of umpteen MORE of my own favorite Hollies songs I REALLY would like to see go on any such "Anthology" set... ! Laughing

BUT.... trying to focus on important "Clarke" & "Clarke Led Hollies" songs...both to Allan, The Hollies...and to please his many fans is never going to be an easy task at all...is it ?
- trying to fit around 30 years of tremendous work onto a handful of CD's is a rather thankless task anyway... Rolling Eyes

Remember too this is an "ALLAN CLARKE" Career overview....and NOT a "Hollies Greatest" or "Rarities" set ...
and I am assuming the 1983 WEA Recordings are still unobtainable ( ?)....whatever

Here is my overall idea - Some Tracks are included for very specific reasons, while I have NOT listed the Total Rarities to go on any "Disc Four" as there must be quite a few tracks none of us know of...
so just Assume that the "Disc Four" WOULD contain the rarer tracks, rare "Live" songs, and unissued material....

Disc One:

1. Whole World Over - 1963 - Apparently the FIRST ever song Allan & Graham wrote
13.Try It - 1967 - The Psychedelic Allan Clarke note his (then their) Falsettos !
14.I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - 1969 - Terrific Lung Power..and Blues Harmonica work
16.My Life Is Over With You - 1969 - His "Soulfelt" feeling to his friends' departure...
21. Hold On - 1971 - A Great solo Song which briefly features his Falsetto range

Disc Two:

19.Find Me A Family - 1989 - Allan's heartfelt Theme Song For a special Cause show
20.The Woman I Love - 1993 - Allan's Final Hollies single (& A UK Chart Hit too !)

Disc Three :

2.Nature's Way of Saying Goodbye - 1972 - A Classic original from that first album
5. If I Were The Priest - 1974 - One of the First artists to spot Bruce Springsteen !
12. I Wasn't Born Yesterday - 1978 - Original Title track of a Classic Solo Album
15. Slipstream - 1980 - Terrific Pop/Rocker album track with Clarke in great form
20. Caught in the Act - 1990 - Great Rockin' Track from Latest Solo Album To Date

Disc Four:
Rare "Live" Versions
Early Demos Pre-Hollies, Overseas tracks, Hollies Rare Tracks, Rare Non Album 'B' sides ,"Guest songs for others like: "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" , solo Rare tracks, plus "out takes" such as Allan Clarke's Original Vocal Demo of "Lullaby To Tim" etc.......

What do you think ? - I know many favorites are NOT on the listings (Mine Too !)....but I have tried to focus on EACH stage of Allan's long and Distinguised career both Group member and soloist....carefully looking at EACH style he has worked in....featuring the many types of music he performed, plus his underrated guitar & Harmonica work....his songwriting...covers of Artists he admires...and his Composing and Vocal harmony work with his close longtime Associates Messrs Graham Nash, Tony Hicks & Terry Sylvester

As I said It is NOT intended as a "Hollies Greatest" or "Rarites" set, but an Overview of Allan Clarke's Long Career.
Geoff thanks so much for this Very Happy .I like the way you have gone for songs in different styles to show how wonderfully diverse Allan's tastes and talent was.Some of these songs really make the airs on the back of my neck stand to attention.For example,Crusader,Heading for a Fall(I love this),Would you believe(such an underrated song),...Baby Tonight,etc and my all time fav Clarkey number"It's in Everyone of Us".But what I also like about this is the amount of songs I see I still have to discover from different periods of his life.It's only in the past few months that I have been able to move away from the earlier ,more popular Hollies stuff and I'm beginning to get a true Hollie education.At the ripe old age of 40 I can truly appreciate the 70's and later work of Clarke.I wish this anthology did exist because I think it should be compulsory for every Clarkey to possess it.My appetite is whetted !!!!!!!!!!(And that's for Allan's songs and not just his body Wink Wink )I totally get your point here Geoff that not everyone will be totally satisfied,but rather this is an overview of a very long and substantial career.Geoff thanks again for this,it's fascinating reading and a really interesting thread Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Fri Dec 07, 2007 23:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:

Now, if you want my advice about which tracks to delete in order to squeeze these songs in, just let me know and I'll dump the turkeys.
Let's just keep the turkey comments for discussions on Christmas and leave the Hollies out of it Mad .

PostPosted:Sat Dec 08, 2007 0:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'd be satisfied with a CD issue of "My Real Name Is 'arold" with the non-LP B-side "Coward By Name" added. I'm surprised it hasn't been issued anywhere.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 08, 2007 18:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I'd be satisfied with a CD issue of "My Real Name Is 'arold" with the non-LP B-side "Coward By Name" added. I'm surprised it hasn't been issued anywhere.

Well, some of us have managed to create that very CD, thanks to today's technology of digitizing LP's. Wink
PostPosted:Sat Dec 08, 2007 20:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Dennis wrote:

An old friend from Germany sent me a cd of 'arold 2 years ago. Excellent sound quality. even had the front and back cover scanned for me, though in B&W. The RCA logo is see at the very right lower corner. It must be or have been out there at one time, official or unofficial issue. Alas, no bunus track, just straight album .

PostPosted:Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:05 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

BGO would be a record company who might be interested in relasing this, as they did several of the other Clarke albums of the period. Maybe there's legal rights problems?

PostPosted:Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:27 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
BGO would be a record company who might be interested in relasing this, as they did several of the other Clarke albums of the period. Maybe there's legal rights problems?

Add that to the fact that "My Real Name is 'arold" appeared on the RCA label in the UK and the rest of Europe, and was his only LP for that label. It appeared as part of the Hollies' contract in the US, that's why it was on Epic stateside. It was his only solo album on either label, and wasn't a big seller, so I guess it makes sense that it has not been issued on CD, legitimately anyway. I would think the reissue label Repertoire would be a good home for it. I think there would be more of an interest in it now, since it was his first solo album and arguably his best.
PostPosted:Sun Dec 09, 2007 20:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Re: Suggested Allan Clarke Anthology ?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff wrote:

Disc One:

Disc Two:

Disc Three :

Disc Four:
Rare "Live" Versions

Way to go, Geoff! You covered Allan's work with a superb selection of songs, at least from the ones I know because I haven't heard all these songs!

I think that is a good idea, and for someone like me who doesn't own all the Hollies's albums or Allan's solo work, it would be must-have compilation. I haven't heard any of Allan' solo work at all, so to get my hands on something like this would serve well to introduce me to it. Very Happy

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Sun Dec 09, 2007 22:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:

Let's just keep the turkey comments for discussions on Christmas and leave the Hollies out of it Mad .

Gobble, gobble. Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 16:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The trouble is Allan Clarke as a solo artist never really made much of an impact anywhere. In 1976, he scored a mid-charting single in the USA with "Shadow In The Street", but aside from that, nothing. Am I correct in assuming he had zilch record success in Europe? Yes, he recorded a number of solo albums but none of them had any real success apart from diehard Hollies fans buying them. So an ambitious project such as an Allan Clarke career overview is rather farfetched. His name alone is not a strong selling point.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 10, 2007 16:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next