graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Graham Nash on UK Radio Sunday 23rd September 2007
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: Graham Nash on UK Radio Sunday 23rd September 2007
Banjo

Banjo

Folks,
Graham Nash will be guesting on 'From the bottom to the top' this coming Sunday 23rd September, 11:00 to 13:00 UK time.

This is a radio show on Gold (formerly Capital Gold) where they will be going through the charts (from number 30 to number 1) on the day that I Can't Let Go hit number 2, which I think was February 1966.

Graham will be interviewed about his time in the band, relationships with other bands and I guess his current work. Tony Hicks featured a year or so ago and it was very good listening.

Gold can be found at/on :

Radio : 1548 am
Sky : channel 0121
Internet : http://mygoldmusic.co.uk (then click on the listen live button)

Get involved...

Chirpy
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:41 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks a lot Chirpy!

Great to hear Graham, and listening to the old songs again.
Especially good to hear him say The Hollies was "a wonderful band" and "a damn fine band".

PostPosted:Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Fantastic to hear Graham talk about old times.We now know the Hollies were named after Buddy Holly and the fact that it was Xmas too.God bless Bobby for that one.I was especially interested to hear him say that the greatest pain in his life was losing Allan's friendship .But he said " we are friends now,we made up ,but it took a while."I loved him reminiscences about him and Allan meeting The Everly Brothers and saying how supportive they were to two young 18 year olds.Graham also said his life was like a dream cos 6 years later the Everlys were recording some of his material.I laughed when he said he became a musician cos his parents couldn't afford a bicycle for his 13th birthday so he got a guitar instead!Fate.He also praised Tony who he said had a real ear for Hollies hits as he used to go on a weekly basis to publishers to listen to demos.I especially liked him saying that after distancing himself from the Hollies he has started listening to them again and says they were "A Damn Fine Band", couldn't put it better myself.Thanks Graham Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .(this is for Vrinda and any other non UK or Irish who would not have heard radio programme)

PostPosted:Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: Graham Nash on UK Radio Sunday 23rd September 2007
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Chirpy wrote:
Folks,
Graham Nash will be guesting on 'From the bottom to the top' this coming Sunday 23rd September, 11:00 to 13:00 UK time.

This is a radio show on Gold (formerly Capital Gold) where they will be going through the charts (from number 30 to number 1) on the day that I Can't Let Go hit number 2, which I think was February 1966.

Graham will be interviewed about his time in the band, relationships with other bands and I guess his current work. Tony Hicks featured a year or so ago and it was very good listening.

Gold can be found at/on :

Radio : 1548 am
Sky : channel 0121
Internet : http://mygoldmusic.co.uk (then click on the listen live button)

Get involved...

Chirpy
Thanks chirpy for tipping us off about this fab programme,I loved it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Sun Sep 23, 2007 21:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was reading in the Enyclopedia of British Beat Groups of the 60's by Colin Cross,Paul Kendall and Mick Farren this quote"Nash stayed in America after meeting David Crosby and Stephen Stills during a tour.CSN(Y) went on to be the biggest group in the world in the early 70's,but wheras Nash's distinctive voice and facility with a good tune had made him the leading light of the Hollies,he has always looked rather out of his depth since leaving them.Undeniably successful,though,so he won't be complaining".Two questions!Number one-Were CSN(Y)really the biggest group in the early 70's and Number two-is this true about Graham,or is it just a piece of bitchiness?Maybe Ye Olde Sage,Geoff could answer this one!

PostPosted:Thu Nov 15, 2007 21:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
I was reading in the Enyclopedia of British Beat Groups of the 60's by Colin Cross,Paul Kendall and Mick Farren this quote"Nash stayed in America after meeting David Crosby and Stephen Stills during a tour.CSN(Y) went on to be the biggest group in the world in the early 70's,but wheras Nash's distinctive voice and facility with a good tune had made him the leading light of the Hollies,he has always looked rather out of his depth since leaving them.Undeniably successful,though,so he won't be complaining".Two questions!Number one-Were CSN(Y)really the biggest group in the early 70's and Number two-is this true about Graham,or is it just a piece of bitchiness?Maybe Ye Olde Sage,Geoff could answer this one!

1. Of course CSNY wasn't the biggest group in the early 70's. They were three or four guys who left successful bands and formed what was the first U.S. based "super group" where all the members were allegedly stars in their own right (I leave it to you to decide just how big a star David Crosby, the third banana of the Byrds, actually was). Of course, this "band" had neither a drummer nor a bassist, so that kind of put a crimp in that claim to group greatness, as they had to bring in ringers for concerts (although the other guys would only play in the "electric" half of the shows, and it would be just the headliners during the "acoustic" portion).

2. Graham was considered by the "cool" American press to be the lightweight of the group, probably both because he was British and because his hits (Teach Your Children and Our House) are rightfully considered a bit banal. However, I'll point out that Nash's voice is what made CSN, as their better stuff sounds like it was arranged by Clarke-Hicks-Nash in Studio 2 at Abbey Road. Those harmonies are very much Hollies and not much at all like the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield. Again, too, I consider his material in CSN(Y) to be far more substantial than David Crosby's stuff, who would usually contribute about 2 mediocre tracks per album. Of course, Stills was the songwriting mainstay of the group, and the lead guitarist, so in that respect he was the most important group member in terms of material and instrumental performances. But Graham's voice WAS CSN, as Stephen Stills is, frankly, a lousy vocalist. Only submerged in harmony with two top-flight singers like Nash & Crosby could he pull off lead vocals. Vocally (and that's the CSN trademark, right?) Graham Nash was far and away the most important member of that group. As an aside, it's interesting to note that in the new century, only Nash can still actually hit the notes in concert, and both Stills and Crosby's voices have deteriorated terribly.
PostPosted:Fri Nov 16, 2007 13:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

David Crosby:
David Crosby was very important in The Original Byrds.....

His Crystal Clear Tenor harmony vocal was a key part of their vocal Harmony sound on "Mr.Tambourine Man" and "Turn Turn Turn"....
....their initial and probably most memorable big hits....
...while Crosby's John Coltrane influenced Jazzy guitar was a superb counterpoint to Jim (later Roger) McGuinn's Rickenbacker guitarwork in the Original Byrds....
...plus his Folk background from Les Baxter's Balladeers circa 1963 would be a vital part of The Original Byrds music...and indeed later CSN....
.....hence the folkier acoustics/Harmony vocals feel to their music...which would also later be an influence on The Rickfors Hollies on the Acoustic "Romany" tracks ....as Tony Hicks has acknowledged

Crosby was also a major "Figurehead" in the Byrds to start with...alongside McGuinn as Hillman & Clarke were background figures at first....Gene Clark, despite being a featured and really distinctive Lead Vocalist, and The Major songwriter at the start....duly preferred not to steal the spotlight with anything other than his quite magnificent songs (and Boy did they Later miss him !)...

....Thus it really was McGuinn and Crosby who early on really stood out in the band...especially "Image wise"....but not always for the right reasons....
(Crosby was sadly a bit of a "Troublemaker"...his quick temper cost them any chance of ever later doing the famous "Ed Sullivan Show" after he had a blazing row with the show's Director...!)

But musically David Crosby was even MORE important to The Original Byrds once Gene Clark exited....stepping forward as a vital songwriter ("What's Happening", "Everybody's Been Burned", "Mind Gardens", Lady Friend", Tribal Gathering", Triad") ....plus a key co-songwriter
("Eight Miles High","Renaissance Fair","Why","Draft Morning""Dolphins Smile"...)
...indeed McGuinn and Hillman rated him so strongly they STILL included three songs he wrote or co-wrote on the "Notorius Byrd Brothers" album after his forced exit from The Byrds.....(which was apparently not due to musical reasons...)

I have noticed that Some posters on this forum clearly detest David Crosby and "Belittle" his songs and contribution.......which is their right and their opinion of course ......
However That does NOT of course in any way diminish his talents or his contribution to Rock Music in the opinion of anyone else who is a member of this forum...
.....or in Rock music history...where Crosby holds enough Platinum, Gold and Silver Discs....to answer his critics....
....For you simply DON'T get a Three CD Set like "Voyage" (With a foreword by Graham Nash and tributes from Grace Slick, Phil Collins,
Chris Hillman,Roger McGuinn, Bonnie Raitt, David Geffin, etc....) devoted to your career by Atlantic records...or get inducted into "The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame"...if you have nothing in the way of talent do you.....?

Crosby was NOT apparently a very stable character....due both to his personality and drug abuse...however he was a very important songwriter in both The Byrds and CSNY careers....and has a superb clear tenor voice....his Tenor voice was also a key part of CSN and CSNY sound too....just listen to "Gunnivere", "Long Time Gone""Helplessly Hoping", "Deja Vu" or "Compass"....

Like him or Loathe him the fact remains he played vital roles in both The Byrds and CSN (Y) repective careers...plus was a very influential vocalist and songwriter, who is Greatly respected in the Music Business worldwide...

Graham Nash:
We all know Graham Nash's contribution to The Hollies story....

Graham Nash has also actually penned most of CSN biggest hits and best known songs...."Marrakesh Express", "Teach Your Children", "Our House","Just A Song Before I Go","Wasted On The Way" etc....and has been the Top end of their Harmony sound throughout....with Stills & Young both writing songs with key High Harmony parts specifically tailored for Nash's distinctive voice...

Their does appear to be from some Rock journalists a very persistantly "Belittling" attitude to Nash...possibly due to his being an outspoken individual with "No Time for fools" etc...while his music is very often of a gentler intimate nature....seen by some as somehow "Lesser" for not being aggresive guitar rock...which is all a matter of individual taste....quieter music is NO less valid than a loud guitar blast of Rock....

Certainly if you take Nash away from CSNY most of their famous hits go....their key Vocal harmony sound goes...and the whole band would not have probably ever completed an album...as Nash was both "Peacemaker" and "Ambassador" to the outfit...as Crosby & Stills had their problems... while Stills & Young had clashed from as far back as the Springfield days.......yet Each got on with Nash overall...

CSNY were arguably not really ever a band as such....just four soloists working together....Like indeed later The Travelling Wilburys etc....however they DID embellish each other's songs....plus cut songs by Joni Mitchell or co-written between them....thus they probably DO qualify overall as a "Supergroup"....

Another point re Nash's standing (which if considered "weak" in Journalist's eyes is VERY "Strong" in many fellow musician's eyes....)...is that while some belittle Nash within the CSNY foursome...he had actually been featured on MORE chart hits in The Hollies.......than the other three "superstars" put together...!

Note how Steve Stills' "Love the One Your With" features Nash's High harmony voice standing out above some Seven Top harmony vocalists...including Cass Elliott, John Sebastian, and Stills himself....while the "Do-Do-Do-Do..." harmony lines are lifted straight off the intro to The Hollies' 1965 hit "I'm Alive"....and Nash
re-creates that sound exactly....!
Graham Nash's contribution to Music....first with The Hollies, then later CSN (Y), Crosby & Nash and as a solo artist is unquestionable....
He too is now due to be given his own "Career Overview" CD Set, so I understand....having already been a part of such collections devoted to CSN and The Hollies....thus being in THREE such CD "Career Overviews" ....(as indeed Crosby also has with Byrds, CSN & his own set)...
.....is no small achievement....is it ?

World's Top Band....?

CSNY Certainly were ONE of the biggest International Acts in the early seventies....along with The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones,
Led Zeppelin, Creedence, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Paul McCartney & Wings, plus soloists like Eric Clapton, Elton John, etc...and a few others...who were all up there alongside them....

BUT in truth NOBODY really was "The Biggest Band in the World" after The Beatles broke up....possibly The Stones and Beach Boys might claim it through length of time at the very top....but it's very arguable of course....

The Rock Press in the early seventies stupidly built CSNY up out of all proportion....(perhaps looking desperatly for a "New Beatles" - they tried to do this again later, very briefly with the original 10C.C. in 1975-76, but just as they did...the band then split in two.....)

....while Byrds & Springfield back then always got far MORE Respect than The Hollies ever did back then....despite the fact The Hollies still had MORE hits than CSNY, Byrds & Springfield...plus the soloists too...all put together (!)
Thus in terms of "Records sold" by 1969....Nash was streets ahead of his three colleagues...! - however Crosby, Stills & Young were all taken FAR more seriously by the Rock Press....who later really "Put the boot in" on CSN....while still giving Young much critical respect...

It depends WHO you like...I know people who can't stand the sound of Neil Young's voice ! - others who think he's fantastic....!
...in truth the Rock Press built up CSN(Y) far TOO much....then delighted in tearing CSN to shreds....although later respect has been afforded to their fine Harmony work and intelligent songwriting & the playing of Stills & Young...thus now they are once again taken as a very influential band....while happily (at last !) The Hollies critical appraisal has become much stronger....as at last Rock Journalists have woken up to the fact that you can't be as successful as The Hollies have been for so very long...without having considerable talent...!
PostPosted:Fri Nov 16, 2007 17:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff how do you do it,HOW DO YOU DO IT????????I can't even remember what I had for my breakfast Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .Thanks so much for this very balanced and informative response Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

Geoff coles wrote:
while happily (at last !) The Hollies critical appraisal has become much stronger....as at last Rock Journalists have woken up to the fact that you can't be as successful as The Hollies have been for so very long...without having considerable talent...!
It's so good to see this AT LAST!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted:Fri Nov 16, 2007 21:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'll stand by my David Crosby assetions, Geoff. First, I don't think that his guitar work was THAT important to the Byrds. I'm always suspicious that any decent #2 guitar on Byrds songs is simply McGuinn double-tracking his guitar. Crosby certainly never displayed much in the way of instrumental chops with CSN. On their most simple album, the first one, Stills' guitars are all over the place and Crosby does little beyond Hollie-style rhythm guitar strumming. Tony Hicks, he ain't! Heck, he never even picked up a guitar on the Daylight Again album, as the group felt it necessary to bring in outside musicians at EVERY position aside from Stills!

As a songwriter, he was terribly erratic (if you want a nap, I suggest playing his lamentable solo album "If Only I Could Remember My Name," which was truly aptly titled! I listened to it - once - about twenty years ago. And like I said, Crosby's output was rather insubtantial in regards to quantity as part of CSN. Just flip to the back side of any CSN or CSNY album and count the songwriting credits for yourself. I'll even dare to say than on the Crosby-Nash duo albums, Grahams's song quality just overwhelms Crosby.

And yes, Crosby was only the third most important Byrd behind band leader McGuinn and lead vocalist Clark. I'm not a Byrds fanatic and haven't delved too deeply into their catalog, but I know enough about the band to have seen the concert footage where Crosby accuses the Federal government of everything under the sun, including assasinating Kennedy while his bandmates look on stunned! I think he was booted out of the band shortly after that outburst, right? He was kind of nut, even back then.

Yeah, and Neil Young has a whiney, thin voice without much range, too! Razz
PostPosted:Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Sure It's all a matter of opinion Scott

Re the guitar playing on Byrds songs....McGuinn played a Rickenbacker....while the driving style guitar supporting McGuinn's (Crosby's) is clearly NOT a "Ringing" Rickenbacker....McGuinn's style is very easily identified with a methodical tasteful delivery of a flurry of notes...while Crosby's guitar is the busy supporting foundation guitarwork...

....Take "Eight Miles High" (both RCA and CBS versions) as a prime example....Crosby's is that style of "bustling" industrial guitarwork (placed on the left stereo channel on the CBS version of 25 January 1966) over which McGuinn's supreme expressive Rickenbacker glides so gracefully ( in mid channel with Hillman's Bass guitar behind ...), while on the legendary RCA version of 22 December 1965 the backup guitar is far more in the background...
PostPosted:Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:59 am

Last edited by Gee on Mon Nov 23, 2009 18:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's Crosby's personality that has always been a turn-off for me. It was because of him that The Byrds only appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show once; he had a verbal run-in with someone on the show and that was the end of their Sullivan appearances. He is outspoken to the point of being obnoxious and unpleasant.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
It's Crosby's personality that has always been a turn-off for me. It was because of him that The Byrds only appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show once; he had a verbal run-in with someone on the show and that was the end of their Sullivan appearances. He is outspoken to the point of being obnoxious and unpleasant.

From what I've seen, he does have all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop.

PostPosted:Mon Nov 19, 2007 17:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1