graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Alternate version of "Searchin'" from 1988 CD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Alternate version of "Searchin'" from 1988 CD
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I bought this budget-priced CD on the "EMI Compacts For Pleasure" label in an East Lansing (Michigan) record store back when it was a new release. I almost didn't pick it up, as I had everything on it already (multiple times, no less). But Hollies completist that I am, I pried open my wallet and made my purchase. Some of the stuff is mono, others stereo, and as I looked at the titles listed I thought "oh well, at least its in a slim jewel case, so it won't take up much room on the shelf!"

Here's the page on this site with info about this CD release:

http://www.hollies.co.uk/information.php?idx=59

And here's the CD cover:

Anyway, I eventually played the CD, and nearly fell off my sofa when I got to track 3. This is a performance of Searchin' that I had never before heard! Wow, what a treasure to find unexpectedly like this! This is an alternate take, not a remix of the version we all have. What's more, it surely was not recorded on the same date as the familiar single, as Graham has a line or two that's different, and the recording just "feels" different.

So, I have a few questions/comments about this:

1. Was the inclusion of this version a mistake by EMI engineers, who intended to use the standard official single version on this CD but just slapped on the wrong recording from the EMI vaults? I figure that must be the case, or else the marketing types at EMI would have hyped the song on the cover by calling it a previously unreleased track, right?

2. What was the recording date of this performance?

3. Why hasn't ths version of the song been reissued again in the subsequent 18 years? Surely this CD is now out of print, right? Why not include this performance on the next compilation CD that EMI cranks out? (and this time hype its inclusion as a rarity)

4. LOL, how many people today would even understand some of the references in the song lyrics to movie/television detectives like Bulldog Drummond, Sergeant Friday, and Boston Blackie? In 1963 were all these literary detectives familiar to the British public as they were to Americans?
PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2006 13:09 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Mon Apr 24, 2006 14:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: Searchin' recording dates
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Scott,
From one of the 90s tour books, it states that Searchin' was recorded 4 times at Abbey Road, on the 15th May 1963, 3rd July 1963, 15th July 1963 (all unreleased) before the A-Side version was recorded on 25th July 1963 with Tommy Sanderson on piano.

This to me begs 2 questions - there must be, by definition, two more more 'unheard of' versions of the song around (where are they?) and who played piano on the 3 unreleased versions?

As this reply has posed more questions then answers, I think I'll gracefully sign off!

TTFN,
Chirpy
PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2006 13:50 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi I have three versions of this song. One is on the "Stay With The Hollies" CD issued by Magic. The second is on the "Hollies At Abbey Road 1963-1966" this states it was take 13. The third version I have is on the "Hollies Greatest hits Volume 2" this is a New Zealand issue and I only have it on record. But it is notably different in feel and has the singing on one speaker and the music on the other as was typical with stereo conversions from mono. Yes Nash's lines are different from the other versions and also after he sings the line "They aint got nothin' on me" there is spoken " you ain't kiddin' man" by I am pretty sure it is Tony. This does not happen on any of the other recordings. Does any one else have this version or one like it?
PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject: Alternate version of "Searchin" from 1988 CD
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hello
yes Ive heard that version too. I downloaded mine from the internet because I couldnt find it anywhere. The first time I heard it was on the radio about 5 years ago and couldnt stop laughing when I heard 'you ain't kiddin man' Very Happy I always thought it was allan who said it but Im not sure. They sound like they were having fun on this version Smile What I also think is hard to find is the slower and longer version of yes I will which I also downloaded and like more than the more common version.

kathryn
PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 23:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Ray wrote:
Hi I have three versions of this song. One is on the "Stay With The Hollies" CD issued by Magic. The second is on the "Hollies At Abbey Road 1963-1966" this states it was take 13. The third version I have is on the "Hollies Greatest hits Volume 2" this is a New Zealand issue and I only have it on record.

Ray, I just pulled out my Magic release of Stay With The Hollies and the Abbey Road 63-66 discs.

To my ears, each CD appears to have the same performance of Searchin'. Why do you think that they're different?
PostPosted:Sat May 20, 2006 16:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Scott
The version I was refering to as being different, is the one on the "Hollies greatest hits volume two" The versions on the Magic issue of "Stay" and "The Hollies at Abbey Road" are the same, I think without taking a closer listen.
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Mon May 22, 2006 2:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

...which means that there are 2 different versions of "Searchin'" that have been released. Just as I thought.
PostPosted:Mon May 22, 2006 5:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
...which means that there are 2 different versions of "Searchin'" that have been released. Just as I thought.

That was my conclusion, too. Laughing
PostPosted:Tue May 23, 2006 14:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Still "Searchin'"....... ?
I might be able to add a bit to this,Scott is right there are two released versions of
"Searchin'" [but in three formats !], I came upon this when Tim Cacksfield sent a test pressing for "Greatest" in 2003.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 20:38 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sat Oct 31, 2009 20:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
[Clarke: "...you ain't kiddin'man..."]

Y'know, I have always thought that was Tony's vocal on that shout.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 18, 2007 0:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I always thought it was Allan, as in the early days Tony very much wanted to be the guitarist,[the job he was brought in for !]
PostPosted:Thu Jan 18, 2007 13:54 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sat Oct 31, 2009 20:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Sparty
I always thought it was Allan, as in the early days Tony very much wanted to be the guitarist,[the job he was brought in for !]
on BBC's "Top of the Pops" in 1964 the camera suddenly zooms in on him during "Just one look" and he has completely "lost the plot" of where they are vocally ,and just gives a sheepish grin...before picking it up again,
in early concerts [by his own admission] he would "singalong" with Clarke,then Nash...until Ron Richards "groomed" him quickly into the great lower harmony vocalist he remains to this day....
Clarke and Nash had their "Ricky and Dane" onstage banter established and vocally carried the show,"chipping in" on each others vocal parts which suggests it may be Allan....trying to sound "American" !, just listen to the Nash "comments" on the studio cut of "Too Much Monkey Buisness" which come from their stage show version.You may be right,but to me it sounds like Allan,and certainly on "R.S.G." it was Clarke and Nash doing the vocal banter with Tony just joining in for "I've been Searchin'..."etc.Any info you can come up with on any of these points would be very much appreciated.
I notice on "Live Hits" some have said Tony did not address the audience...well I always thought there were clearly three voices speaking to the crowd
Clarke: "...Wer'e gonna do a song now for people who feel sexy...."
Hicks:"...wer'e gonna do some numbers now from an album we had out recently called "Another Night"...."
Sylvester:"....Anyone like Rock'n'roll in the audience...?"
These voices are all clearly different,so it seems logical Tony was the second voice as he did address us in UK concerts in the early and late seventies when Terry was with them...it was in the Nash era he only spoke occasionally,the odd song title etc...
Any info you have much appreciated
GEOFF.

It would seem plausible that it was Allan and Graham doing all the talking, but if I hear a third voice, who else could it be but Tony, or maybe a session musician? On the "Searchin' " recording on "The Hollies At Abbey Road: 1963-66," I can only remember hearing two voices - Allan's and Graham's, and maybe Tony joined in on the chorus.
PostPosted:Mon Nov 12, 2007 19:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1